Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have attempted to talk to her about it in the past only to be met with staunch refusal. With the current state of affairs in the country I think that she needs to have some form of protection specifically when I have to be out of town for work.

·
5,686 Posts
Unfortunately it's one of those things she's going to have to want to do. I would sit her down and have a serious talk explaining your concern for her safety while you are away. Some men have talked about showing their wives articles from the news were lives were saved from having protection. It's hard to make someone do something they don't want to do. It may just be that you will have to accept it and bite your tongue. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Unfortunately it's one of those things she's going to have to want to do. I would sit her down and have a serious talk explaining your concern for her safety while you are away. Some men have talked about showing their wives articles from the news were lives were saved from having protection. It's hard to make someone do something they don't want to do. It may just be that you will have to accept it and bite your tongue. Good luck.
Ditto!

·
Banned
405 Posts
Depending on what you're willing to resort to, the story of Channon Christian and Chris Newsome will get the point across. Eve Carson is another.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
First, does she even enjoy shooting at all, or does she go "ewww guns keep them away from me"? The answer to that question determines what kind of response you'll get from her if you mention it at all.

If she doesn't normally go (or hasn't ever gone) shooting, first try to get her to to the range and shoot different guns. Start her off light with a .22 or something like that. If she's enthusiastic, let her shoot some more, and then ask her how she'd like it if she could carry it all the time for personal protection.

As mentioned already, she's going to have to want to do it. If she's completely against it, at least get her some mace.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was once one who never wanted a gun I jut never thought it was for me but wuth the way the world is going I decided I want one so I told my husband I want to go get my cwp and he got me my little pinky taurus TCP 738. I was alwasy afraid of guns but I am hooked now I am looking to get my second handgun a Taurus PT 111 see if she will go to the range with you I agree with Cyrus7 let her try different guns a .22 is good or a .380. I think if she feels comfortable with a gun then the rest will be easy

·
32,852 Posts
Dave.

Please do this with her.

First, please have her take a look at this.
http://www.refuse.nra.org/

This course is something that both of you can take together. Granted, you may know most of the info given at this.

The course does not suggest that firearms be used. Nor are other weapons or tools for defense talked about as they consider that a whole different kettle of fish. The course does give great ideas being more aware at home,on the street,at work,and what to look for or do to not become a crime statistic.

My wife daughter,and I took the course together. It was an eye opener and highly educational for the female contigent of the family. My daughter is now into firearms and is willing to take advanced gun handling for defense.

Each person who has a gun for defense HAS to have the will to be responsible for their own protection and most important, be of the mind set that they can take a human life in defense of themself in a righteous defense shooting. If they cannot do that then they should not own a gun for defensive purposes. For other purposes, no problem. It's not as easy as it is for some of us to make that momentous decision. I've know people in other cities out of state who will not use deadly force to save themselves or others. The fact that the a vicious violent criminal has no respect for human life is not of importance to them though it should be. Letting loose the deadly force on another is something they will not in good conscience do.

No matter how hard you try to get another to "see the light" you may well fail at it no matter what you do. Best intentions mean nothing here.

In my signature are some links that you and she should look at.Forget the links to the Ruger gun forums. The rest are what you two need to look at.

Should she decide she might want to learn to shoot. Then use the NSSF and NRA basic course links to find a basic shooting course in your area. LGSs,ranges,and gun clubs in your area should have access to these. A women only course or one on one course should be attempted with a NRA accredited counselor. Do not mention for self defense reasons. That will come soon enough.

This way she will have a good basic knowledge of what gun/ammo combo can work for her.

Have her take a look at this link. It is very important that she see this!!
!

The point being that if she is not willing to learn about firearms then other suggestions are in order.

For example, carrying pepper spray, being instructed by a credentialed instructor, could fill the bill. Having several practice only ( Companies do make these filled with water or other substances) pepper spray modules can help. Pepper gel is the new thing that works well with OC sprays and their ilk.

Taser, Self Defense Products & Personal Safety Equipment: TASER International has civilian models that can fill the bill as well. Instruction is a must with these. Also make sure these are allowed by law in your area or where your wife will travel to and from places. Make sure Taser is legal in your area. These at least give someone a fighting chance to get away.

Even a good legal in your area folding knife or solid handle bladed knife can go along with this.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
My wife once wanted me to get rid of all my guns. Then she was ok as long as she didn't see them. Then came 9/11 and she asked, "weren't you going to get your CWP?" I finally asked her, "what about your own protection, when I'm not here?" The next thing I know, after many trips to the range, she adopted my M85 for her SUV. I want her to get the CWP and she has agreed, just not taken the course yet.

PS. Most women don't like loud gunfire. I took my wife to a friends property where we ofter shoot. In-door ranges can often be very intimidating and crowded. Not to mention the fool in the lane next to you can be dangerous.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My wife once wanted me to get rid of all my guns. Then she was ok as long as she didn't see them. Then came 9/11 and she asked, "weren't you going to get your CWP?" I finally asked her, "what about your own protection, when I'm not here?" The next thing I know, after many trips to the range, she adopted my M85 for her SUV. I want her to get the CWP and she has agreed, just not taken the course yet.

PS. Most women don't like loud gunfire. I took my wife to a friends property where we ofter shoot. In-door ranges can often be very intimidating and crowded. Not to mention the fool in the lane next to you can be dangerous.
Had the same experience with my wife. She was all for it. We get there... The Loud bangs, the people, the ass clown next to us waving his pistol around... Needless to say she fired the gun four times then left. She did say she wants to go back.

OP, the reality is, we do in fact live in a world where murders, muggings and crime in general are on the decline. Doesn't mean it won't happen. The way I justified it to my wife who was against it, it's like an insurance policy. You buy it in hopes that you never have to use it.

You could also pay your friend to break in, accost your wife, expose himself all while screaming "BOOOOGIDY BOOOGIDY". Then you could broach the subject with her.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
People tend to fear the "unknown".

And when it involves some "thing" that is potentially dangerous; be it a motorcycle, chain saw or gun; the fear is exagerated.

Once the person reaches the realization that the inanamate object is only dangerous when misshandled it's easier to sell the object's usefulness.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Start with offering - not pushing - to do some fun shooting together sometimes. Make it nice for her so that it is not intimidating, and not too long and straining, and you must do everything - everything - bring the guns, ammo, cleaned up, set up the range, targets, reactive targets (they are fun! Instant joy of hitting something!), load the pistol, make it just as easy as possible, make an effort. Double protection, earplugs and good earmuffs to soften the noise even if shooting outside. And something else nice for the same day, dinner, arts, dancing, what she likes to do. So that it's not about you just pushing your points and other politics and so on. They like to be with their husbands, quality time, someone I know took up hunting just to be more with her husband.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Just buy it for her anyways and if she dont want it give it to me. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have attempted to talk to her about it in the past only to be met with staunch refusal. With the current state of affairs in the country I think that she needs to have some form of protection specifically when I have to be out of town for work.
does she prefer non-lethal protection ? or does she just not like weapons at all ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
i'm in the same boat nearly . My wife has shot my 908 on a couple occasions and she's pretty accurate with it. When it comes to getting her CWL and carrying it tho its staunch refusal. I'm just slowly working on her towards a taser. She's carried pepper spray for years. In Iowa you can carry a taser with the CWL. Just gonna take my time with her in hopes i win out. She's just a tiny thing and i worry about her no matter how feisty she is.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
If you belong to or frequent a gun club or range, try to get her involved with the ladies that shoot there. One range that I use has a Monday night special where the ladies and teens range fee is waved. I just stumbled upon it. Most of those gals are pretty good and can out shoot me. There's a lot of socializing in the lobby, too.
Another local range has a Monday evening special "Ladies Basics" and "Ladies Special" sessions.
A third local range, which is outdoors, has ladies leagues in both "Action" competition, and S.A.S.S. They come up with the best costumes and pretty cool monikers.
It seems that we guys are intimidating or something.
Depending on your situation, try back porch air pistol shooting. Get some paper plates, or other fun targets. I have had fun with the little green army men from the dollar store, but dang those things are small and hard to hit. You can get a beginners package for under $65, which includes safety goggles.
As a drum instructor, I have found that the ladies seem to have better fine muscle control than the guys and pick up these motor skills very quickly. She'll be out-shooting you in no time, especially with rim-fires. You may create a monster. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just purchased my gun last weekend and still have to go get it from the store. I've gone out shooting, both years ago, and just recently and can honestly say I enjoy it. I also feel somewhat empowered by the experience I gain in handling and shooting guns. Now all that being said, and despite that just last wednesday I applied for my concealed carry permit, I really have no intention, at least not at this time, to walk around or carry a gun around with me. I got the permit just so there's no mistaking I can carry my gun around if I want to and felt having the permit just simplifies transporting the gun to and from the range-naturally with some stipulations, but pretty much common sense.

I simply don't feel so threatened just walking around that I feel I need to carry my gun around. Yes, I realize prevention is the point here, but I guess since I wasn't raised in a setting where walking around with a gun was normal, like a ranch or a farm or just simply certain parts of the country, I figure something unexpected could happen to me regardless of whether or not I carry a gun with me, the most likely of which wouldn't be remedied by a gun anyways. Now, if I lived in texas, or montana, or out in the middle of nowhere, small town and all that, I might feel differently. My Grandma and Grandpa were both crack shots and lived/worked out in the middle of the arizona desert. They carried their guns with them always, and with all the snakes around and other critters in the desert where they tended to the irrigation of some cotton fields, it was a necessary extension of themselves and they needed to have that type of protection at all times.

Hubby's gone bowling a few nights a week and I'm often alone at home. Having my gun for protection there makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
262 Posts
2 years ago, my wife refused to allow any guns in the house. Period. I got hell for buying a pellet gun to shoot blackbirds with.

My first pistols were purchased without her knowing. Although I told her shortly after buying. No, she wasn't happy.

With all that was happening, I simply told her I was getting my permit. She didn't have much option in the matter. I told her I wanted her to be involved, but she was not interested.

It wasn't long after getting my permit, she started paying attention to the things that were going on. Kansas isn't a quiet little ******* state. There are issues everywhere, many drug/gang related. She changed her tune quite quickly.

Now, it's routine. Gun on the kitchen counter, yea, not a big deal. She knows what to do with it.

NO, I didn't give her much option, but she warmed to it and appreciates it....now.

Keep your lady informed of current events locally and nation wide. Let her know bad things can happen in your back
yard.

Sorry...not a lady!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If she watches the news enough she might change her mind. Changed my wife's thinking. She did her CHL paperwork yesterday and plans to take the class in a couple of weeks. Will be qualifying with my Beretta 92 to get her semi auto endorsement even though she will carry a revolver.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Education, familiarization, practice, then concealed carry was the way I handled it, in this order.

The last comment I made that helped my wife decide to carry was "If you carry, you have a choice to use it or not. If you don't carry, you don't have a choice."

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
After you exhaust all the sympathetic, rational suggestions try something like this:

Honey, since you've made it perfectly clear that you have no interest in getting a gun to protect yourself I want to increase your life insurance by a quarter of a million dollars (or whatever amount will shock her). If something happens to you I will be so devastated that I would need some compensation for your death and my loss - of course she won't believe that but she needs to be shocked into a reality that gives her a new perspective on things.

If she wants to increase your life insurance we may have planted a bad idea in her head, so be careful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts