Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to any Gun/Hunting forum and you’ll find a lively debate about what is, and is not good wild hog medicine.For years, long gun wise, the minimum I’ve used is a .308 for long shots and a 12 ga. for those fast, up close and personal swamp encounters.

The wild hog population has exploded down here and they have been devastating my father in law’s deer feeders and food plots on his Florida and Georgia leases. He’s taken quite a few wild hogs with his .30-06 Remington M76 pump so I was a bit surprised to find out last night that he’d taken 3 with a single shot .223 I didn’t even know he had.

He’d gotten a good deal on a single shot NEF in .223 that came with a 4X Tasco scope. He thought it’d make a nice “utility gun” so he strapped it onto the gun rack on his 4X4 Suzuki Ranch Hand.

Yesterday he took one of the grand son’s quad running to check on the feeders. During their foray he bagged 3 wild hogs. The smallest was a young 90 lb. boar; the largest was a 310 lb. sow that field dressed out to 250 lbs.They were all head shots taken while the porkers were pigging out on his cracked corn.

The shortest shot was 30 yards, the longest close to 75.
I’d seen internet videos of Texas ranchers thinning the wild hog herds rapid fire style with AR-15’s; but this was the first I’d heard of a “sho-nuff” dedicated .223 hunting rifle deliberately being used for said purpose.

Just wondering, anybody else use this diminutive varmint round on wild hogs?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
What ammo or what bullets was he using?

And no, I went out with a Marlin 336 in .30-30 last time I went pig searching.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I wish I could tell you I had experience. Then again, I don't want hogs tearing up the land here in MN. I have seen on hunting shows where a guy shoots one with a .300 magnum, the pig drops, then bolts, never to be seen again. In contrast, I have seen videos of hogs shot with heavy duty pellet guns and they die!
I would not hesitate to use .223 fmjs on headshots.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
By in large, i can see it working out well for him. By the very nature of the gun, any single shot or bolt action will have superior accuracy to a semi-auto rifle chambered for the same round. If those shots are placed correctly, as you said they were head shots, it would topple many a hog before it met it's match in the nearly 400+ lbs. range i'm guessing. Heart shots on those hogs are nearly impossible to get through from the front side as there is a cartilage plate from the lower jaw down to just below the shoulder blades. Everything from 00 Buck to .308 rounds have been found in some of the larger ones that had to be taken out with larger caliber head shots.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I just got back from a feral hog hunting trip in Mizzou I took a ~180 boar with a .223 55gr federal nosler tipped bullet, DRT, dead right there. I also took a little smoker pig with the pt1911. I'll do a writeup with pictures later tonight.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I just got back from a feral hog hunting trip in Mizzou I took a ~180 boar with a .223 55gr federal nosler tipped bullet, DRT, dead right there. I also took a little smoker pig with the pt1911. I'll do a writeup with pictures later tonight.
I caught your hog hunting story (complete with pics) on the thread you started. It was a great account!

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
He’d gotten a good deal on a single shot NEF in .223 that came with a 4X Tasco scope.
I have one of those with a Tasco World Class 6 to 24x Target Scope. Accurate little rascal, but I've only used it on the occasional Coyote or GroundHog.

As for killing Hogs, I've shot a large sow with a .30/06 and a medium sized boar with an SKS in 7.62x39mm. As for killing anything with a .223/5.56mm or any other Caliber, shot placement trumps everything. Poachers and others have been killing Deer with the meager .22LR for years with Headshots.

As with any application, there are limitations! You won't catch me hunting Grizzlies with a .22LR!!!

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
A .223 works great in general wild hog harvesting. As always, shot placement is King.

We have a bunch of crusty old ranchers east of Lubbock who used the SKS or Saiga rifles for hog control with 7.62 x 39.

Here is the rub: If you do this long enough, you will eventually have a deflected head shot to a pig that may hit a little wrong and not travel into the brain, or a shot that will be deflected off of the edge of a bone, or a pig that just decides he doesn't want to go down just yet, or at least not until he gets a piece of you, particularly if you just followed a blood trail into some thick tunnel like brush.

I remember being at the same gun shop where these Crusty old ranchers had bought the 7.62 x 39 and were trading them in on .308 platforms and ammo. So, from their conversations, I gathered that some had had some close calls and decided for certain situations, a little more umph might be better.

In checking the hog snares with my friend, I learned to load my six shooter with .357 magnum instead of .38 special +P.

Things always go well until they don't. While most pigs want to just get away from you, you never know when Hogzilla may come out of the brush at you with less than honorable intentions for your body.

With most shots being at 30 plus yards, you have a lot of room for error, but when you start following one into brush, the tables can turn quickly.

I wouldn't ever feel under gunned with a .223, or a 7.62 x 39, but I also would not be apt to go into the brush on a seek and destroy mission either.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next time I venture out with him think I'll carry my Bushmaster AR & 4X Colt scope.

What frosted my **** was paying out the kazo for a 5 shot Florida legal hunting magazine.

Could have bought three 30 rounders for the same price.

Got a decent supply of mil-surp green tipped M855's with steel penetrators I thought I'd give a try on hogs.

Some folks call em "armor piercing", but they don't meet the ATF's deffinition as such.

At any rate it'll be interesting to see how they work with head shots.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I've used .223 on hogs for several years. I use a Mini 14, open sights, and type of ammo doesn't matter to me. It's all about shot placement.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, Well! It just so happens I saw today in a (Guns and Ammo mag. March 2012) an advertisement for special hog boolits! .223 and .308! Page 16! They are wichester Razor back XT, beveled profile protected hollow points. Specifically designed for tough hogs optimized for delayed expansion ! Lead free to! .223 s are 64 Gr. And the .308s are 150s. $25-$35/20 L.I.B. ! Probably do a good job with good placement but for up close and personal I think I'll also carry a .44 mag and or a hopped up .45 Colt in a Vaquero or such for the ole Hogzilla Jake refered to! I had to go down one of those Hog tunnels in the brush Jake was talking about and it was scrunched over or about crawling through the trail, a real tunnel! Roof was made by the waist high or taller backs of the baby hogzillas I figured !! Was a very pleasant experience about dark thirty! Shot the hog with a .243 and found it a short ways in thank goodness but for the first 10 yards you couldn't have drove a needle up my backside with a sledgehammer!Ha Ha!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds like he's a smart man :)

My hunting rifle is also an HR in .223 and the Lokt ammo has worked well for me in the past. It wears a Bushnell 4x32 fixed (I love fixed power scopes for my middle age eyes). I haven't hunted in years now but if the hog population explodes this year due to all the light rain we're getting in west Texas i'm ready.

BTW, a co-worker also exclusively uses the Lokts in his .222 with great results.

Reactions: Jake3501
1 - 13 of 13 Posts