Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with Kydex pocket holsters? I'm thinking about getting one for my TCP for front pocket carry. I like that I could push the holster off and have control of the gun with very little movement before presenting the gun. Any ideas on pros and cons? I've played around a bit with the typical Nemesis-style pocket holsters, and they don't seem to work for me. Here's the one I'm looking at:

Multi Holsters ~ Quality Custom KYDEX Gun Holsters for Inside, Outside, Multi 2-in-1 Inside/Outside Waistband & Mag Holders - Pocket Style

It's a fairly small-time guy in my home state of Michigan, so I would love to give him the business. I just haven't ever been able to try one -- can't find any in the gun shops around me.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Nice looking holster -- I especially like the camo patterns! I haven't tried Kydex, but I do have one of these front pocket holsters from Uncle Mike's and it works great w/ my Kel-tec PF9. And it cost $10....

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an Uncle Mike's size 10 IWB holster that I'm using for my TCP right now. I'm very happy considering the price. I think Uncle Mike's makes a great product for the money. I'm fairly new to concealed carry and wanted to see how often I would actually feel the need/desire to carry before spending too much on a holster. I've been carrying all day every day for a while now, so I'm just about to order a Theis IWB holster for the added comfort. As for the particular holster you mentioned, I tried one at a LGS, and I wasn't a big a fan of the shape of the cut around the opening... didn't seem to be able to get a quick, solid grip on the gun before drawing. That's the most frustrating part about trying to find a good holster -- it seems like everyone has a different preference that works for them, so it's hard to know where to start. Glad it's working for you, and that was what I was initially planning on buying. Just didn't work for me.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I use a nemesis for my TCP and don't have much problem. I have seen some videos from multiholsters on you tube, and seems he does quality work. If you have any ability at all, buy some kydex from knifekits.com and cook one up yourself. A piece of black kydex for $5, some rivets or chicago screws for a few bucks. Heat it with a heat gun, or toaster oven. You can buy some molding foam, or use an el cheapo camp mat from walmart. I would probably buy a piece of .060 to make it a bit thinner. Anything thicker than. 080 is too thick and is a bit harder to mold. Look up some videos on how to work with kydex, it is actually pretty easy. I would buy some extra because you are going ti want to make others. The cool thing is if you don't get it molded right, just reheat it and start over. Its pretty fun to play with and you can get as detailed or as basic as you want. I am currently working on a OWB for my tcp.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a nemesis for my TCP and don't have much problem. I have seen some videos from multiholsters on you tube, and seems he does quality work. If you have any ability at all, buy some kydex from knifekits.com and cook one up yourself. A piece of black kydex for $5, some rivets or chicago screws for a few bucks. Heat it with a heat gun, or toaster oven. You can buy some molding foam, or use an el cheapo camp mat from walmart. I would probably buy a piece of .060 to make it a bit thinner. Anything thicker than. 080 is too thick and is a bit harder to mold. Look up some videos on how to work with kydex, it is actually pretty easy. I would buy some extra because you are going ti want to make others. The cool thing is if you don't get it molded right, just reheat it and start over. Its pretty fun to play with and you can get as detailed or as basic as you want. I am currently working on a OWB for my tcp.

I knew it must not be rocket science because I see a lot of posts in this forum and on the internet in general about making your own Kydex holster. I never really looked into it that deeply. I just assumed that the Kydex would be more expensive for the raw materials. I'm fairly handy and enjoy fabricating stuff, so it might be a good project for me. I guess I was also scared off a bit because I have very little experience with holsters (until I got my CCW, I had no need for one) and didn't want to accidentally make something that was somehow unsafe or that would fail me when I need it most. I may have to do some research and have at it though. You've definitely got the wheels turning in my head. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a FIST #K5 kydex pocket holster. It works very well. I particularly like the little ledge at the top where you can push with your thumb as you draw.

My wife has a Grandfather Oak kydex pocket holster which also works quite well, but customer service from Grandfather Oak left something to be desired when we bought it (hopefully they have improved).

The holster you are looking at looks good too.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked at the Fist #K5 several times, and it's definitely the other front runner. Do they (Kydex pocket holsters in general) crack easily? I have also heard that they can be a bit noisy as you bend, etc. Any cons I need to know about? I think I would like it better than nylon, but I'm not sure. And hell, after younandfree's post, I may just have to try my hand at making one with a similar design.

Thanks for the posts. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have never had a kydex holster "crack" or "creak". They do make a noticeable click when holstering your weapon. I have had leather holsters creak.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know. I wonder why more people are not going with this option for pocket carry. It seems like it would offer very positive retention and less added bulk compared to leather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts