Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want an MTAC but my smith has warned me away from Kydex because of finish wear.
That pushes me into leather but the wait is rediculous.
Does anyone have pics or experiences of this finish wear to help me decide?
Thanks. Sam.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I think much of it depends on the finish of the gun. I've carried an older XD daily for over 2 1/2 years in kydex (Comp-tac CTAC) without any noticeable wear (I just checked). My gun has the finish thats supposedly more fragile than whats on the newer ones.

Now, on a gun with a standard blued finish I'd expect to see wear long since with the same type of holster. In stainless I wouldn't worry any about it.

Is the gun you're thinking of more of a target or safe queen type of gun that you want to carry occasionally or is it to be your daily carry? If its a daily carry I'd just expect the wear and go with a holster that you think you'll like. Remember, its a tool that you hope will last a long time.

Steelheart

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steelheart, thanks for the reply.

The finish is in Gunkote and it's gonna be my carry piece, soon as I get my MTAC and another 100rds through it.
I've always belived in function before fashion so the finish was my smith's concern but I had to do some research to know what I was in for.

Thanks. Sam.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I'd say run it! You can always have it touched up if wear turns into a problem.

Steelheart

·
Registered
84 Posts
Late reply but my new fobus has marred the hell out of my SA 1911 Parkerized. Needless to say I am not pleased. Now for my SS PT140MP the fobus is fine but I would caution against parked finishes and fobus

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03Shadowbob........
Thanks for the reply. I try to stay away from fobus ...I have a double mag holder by them but no holsters.
I'm sure you've seen the clip of the fobus holster being pulled from the paddle. That scared the hell out of me. So I stay way. A member on another forum suggested a wipe down using a silicone cloth. I haven't come across one yet but I think that might be a good move.

·
Registered
241 Posts
According to highnoon holsters- they do not carry kydex, they say it's a dust magnet, and you NEED to keep the inside clean! It will scratch your finish.

I wanted a leather holster from high noon, but, like you said - the waiting period is rediculous. I ordered a very high qualilty leather holster from FIST, inc. it took 5 weeks - not bad considering the other guy's.

BTW, that's a real nice pistol you have there. That's a taurus 1911? I didint' know that the stainless steel version was available yet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Given that the kydex holsters usually only grip the pistol at the trigger guard, I don't see how it would cause damage to the finish of the rest of the gun. Even during the draw/holster process, we're not talking about a lot of pressure. Now I prefer leather holsters myself, but I do have a few quite functional kydex holsters, and I don't see excessive wear from them. Further disclaimer: I also keep my guns lightly coated in Sheath, and that might make the difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, a couple days ago I ordered an MTAC for my 1911 with an extra mold for my USP FS .45.

As long as it goes BANG when it's supposed to...that is the main idea, right?

Does anyone know where I can find one of these silicone cloths?

Thanks. Sam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not trying to start anything, but if your gun doesn't have finish wear, you aren't practicing enough. A gun that is carried on a dialy basis, and practiced with like you life depends upon it is not going to be pretty. Even my year old 1911 (Springfield Armory Loaded) has holster wear, and plenty of it. It is a defensive weapon not a safe queen.

My 101 is 13 years old, and looks worn to death. The top of the front sight has been reblued two or three times now. The holster contact areas of the slide are bare. The trigger face hasn't had bluing in years. The mag well opening is almost reflective, and most of my magazines don't have much bluing left from the feed lips to the transition to double stack.

The 101 has lived in the same leather holster (a Bianchi 3S Pistol Pocket) for 13 years, so leather isn't going to protect the finish, only let it wear off slower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
03Shadowbob said:
Late reply but my new fobus has marred the hell out of my SA 1911 Parkerized. Needless to say I am not pleased. Now for my SS PT140MP the fobus is fine but I would caution against parked finishes and fobus
I would be concerned more about the Fobus holster. Comp-Tac and Blackhawk make a much better poly holster.

Fobus is garbage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts