Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Krogers being sued because they don't have a "no guns for the law abiding" policy

I said "No guns for the law abiding" instead of the more common "no guns" policy or sign because the term "No guns" is a lie, since criminals don't care about violating a supposed no guns policy. All a sign with a gun and a red slash does is keep out the people who already obey the rules, and aren't a danger anyway. (except maybe to mass shooters)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kroger...n-kroger-grocery-stores-after-fathers-murder/

Watson and her mother, Charlotte Stallard, filed a civil lawsuit against Kroger last week asking the chain to ban guns in its stores. "Who would have known that Kroger would allow people to just walk in, carry their guns on their waistband and just pull them out?" she said.

Currently, Kroger does not have a policy prohibiting customers from bringing firearms into their stores. The company released a statement on its website stating that their longstanding policy on the issue is to follow state and local gun laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping.

"You don't need a gun to buy groceries," said Ron Johnson, the Stallard family's attorney. "…You can't carry a gun into your school, you can't carry a gun into the courthouse… And what we're simply saying is grocery stores need to do the same thing."

The alleged gunman, Gregory Alan Bush, was indicted by a federal grand jury for hate crimes. This October, a judge will determine if Bush is mentally competent to stand trial.

Speaking about her father, Watson said, "To think that this man, as loving and caring as he was, to have been taken from us in the way that he was taken, because of someone else's hate… it's unbelievable at times."

The lawsuit details more than two dozen gun-related incidents resulting in eight deaths inside and outside of Kroger stores nationwide.

"The duty of a store in Kentucky is to provide a safe place to shop. That is the law," Johnson said. "So retailers like Target and Starbucks have said, 'Having guns in our stores is not consistent with having a safe place to shop,' so they don't allow guns."

"Can a judge force an entity like Kroger to change its policy?" asked "CBS This Morning" national correspondent Jericka Duncan.

"All a judge or a jury can do is give damages to those who are harmed when Kroger doesn't meet its duty," Johnson said.

Watson said she hopes her lawsuit will help make public spaces safer and keep other families from suffering similar losses. "It is traumatic. It is violent. It is dramatic. It is painful…" she said. "We have to do something to try to prevent these things from happening again to others."
I've never been in a Starbucks, but the last time I was in a Target store (admittedly a long time ago) there was no "no guns" signs at the door.

I'm not familiar with Kentucky law, but are they similar to Ohio, in that you can't sue a business if they choose to have a "no guns for the law abiding" sign or not have one? And I don't recall the shooter having a CHL anyway. Maybe Kroger's should institute a "no robbery" or "no murder" policy?

If Kentucky doesn't have a law and Krogers can technically be sued, why can't someone sue a business that has a "no guns for the law abiding" sign if a mass shooting occurs there? As far as the comment that guns in stores is not consistent with having a safe place to shop, the documented facts are exactly the opposite. Most mass shootings occur in so called gun free zones. Plus, there is documented evidence from some mass shooters or attempted mass shooters that they chose their targets precis ally because the location was a "soft target". A "no guns for the law abiding sign" could be said to create the conditions or environment for a mass shooter to succeed and therefore makes people potentially less safe.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I carry in my local Krogers every few days when I shop there. For Christmas I received a $50 Starbucks gift card from a client. I have carried in various Starbucks around town. Until either of them put up a 30.06/30.07 notice I will continue to do so regardless of what this Attorney Johnson says, desires, wants, demands, or stipulates. Frankly, methinks he's been thinking with his Johnson and not his brain.

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
Maybe Kroger should counter sue those two for something they don't have in their cupboards or refrigerators?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I find it laughable that they think a store with a "no guns" sign is safer. I mean how stupid are they? Even the most cynical logic dictates that a criminal will ignore the sign.

I am fortunate to live in a rural area where guns are commonplace. I don't expect to see any signs in the windows anytime soon, unless they plan to follow up with a "Going out of Business" sign. Like all of you, I feel safer carrying a gun and I feel safer knowing half the county I live in does. There was a discussion a while back about carrying in church. I guarantee in any church in this county at least 25% are armed. Now I ask you, could you possibly feel any safer?

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
14,786 Posts
The most the state or fed gov't can require is that the non-governmental business follow federal, state and local laws. If the Watson's don't like it too bad. THEY do not get to dictate MY Rights. So they file a civil suit (which they'll lose) and need to be countersued by someone in the same municipality (for standing). Use 18 USC 241 - conspiracy to deprive a person of civil rights. As the saying goes, "Your 'rights' end at my nose". That is literally countersuing them using the same statues they want to sue Krogers with. In a long drawn out court case, it becomes a battle of attrition. 1/2 a mil will get Kroger's attention but 1/2 a mil will also bankrupt the Watson's.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have the answer.

It's so simple, and it's been right in front of our eyes the entire time, and I have to give credit to Pegasus for the inspiration.

One sign should solve the entire problem:

no crime sign small.jpg

You're welcome.

·
Premium Member
13,038 Posts
I have a right to self protection and if I can't enter a store with my rights intact then I don't need to spend my money at that store. I understand that in this case it's not the store, but some left wing loony and her lawyer trying to influence the store's policy, but it's just as simple for her, just don't shop there!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I live in flyover country, and I thank the Good Lord every day. I shop almost exclusively at Kroger. I carry every place I'm permitted. Matter of fact, I'm doing some volunteer work with the local FOP Lodge for the National Tractor Pulling Association Championships - but that a whole 'nother story - and carried every day of the Pulls. It's encouraged, although sometimes a little tacitly since I'm in a college town. I will continue to shop at Kroger, I will continue to carry, and I will continue to believe that those who are suing Kroger most likely do not shop there. Thank you and good night.

·
Premium Member
13,038 Posts
Are there any other "rights" she would like left at the door or is it just this one?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I routinely ignored those signs. I even carry in banks when carrying large sums of cash. (To me, anything over 50 bucks is huge. Even a 50 makes me nervous.) What are they going to do, install metal detectors?

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I routinely ignored those signs. I even carry in banks when carrying large sums of cash. (To me, anything over 50 bucks is huge. Even a 50 makes me nervous.) What are they going to do, install metal detectors?
In Dayton Ohio a 5th3rd bank branch has one, or rather, what they call a "weapons detection system." You get buzzed into the lobby one at a time, it supposedly scans you and then if it doesn't detect any weapons they let you in. It took me about 10 seconds, IDK if that's average. IDK if it even realy works or not but the bank robbers must think it does because I've not heard of any attempts at that branch. 5th3rd of course does nothing to protect their customers going into or leaving the bank. Once when my wife and I had to stop in there to get cash, I waited outside while she went inside. Waiting there at the door was another guy, an older gentleman who had his back to the door and scanning the parking lot like he was looking for a potential robber. Although it was concealed I could see that he was carrying. OWB holster. I asked, "you waiting on someone?" He replied, "Yeah, you too?" I laughed and said "Yeah. I guess maybe I'm a little overcautious." His reply was, "No you're not. I live in this area."

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
If you remember, Kroger's removed gun magazines from their racks a year or two ago, so it's not like they're pro-gun. I think what they've been doing is respecting each state's laws and regulations on the matter, in which they are located. New Mexico is an open carry and CC "shall issue" state*, and the stores honor that, even Starbucks.

(*At least for now. Who knows what our tyrannical governor will try to push through our liberal state legislature during her term?)

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
We don't have a Kroger anywhere near me. We shop at HEB. Now, if we had any 30.06 sign at that store, I'd just ignore it. In fact, all they could do is ask me to leave and, that's if they knew I was carrying. I'd just leave my basket and walk out the door and go to Brookshire Brothers.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Perhaps Ms. Watson and Ms. Stafford, along with that ambulance chasing shyster, need to read and understand what Kroger said about this:

"We ask customers to be RESPECTFUL of others while shopping".

To me. that means:
- Respect my right to carry, if it is allowed by local laws.
- Show me the same respect that you would like me to show you.

It truly is that simple to understand and follow, ladies and shyster.

Reactions: Peacemakr40

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I looked up Kroger stores to see where they are located as there are none by that name near me.
As it turns out the QFC chain of grocery stores is one of quite a few different names they use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger#Chains
There is one of those at the far end of town but I don't shop there both because of the distance and the fact that they are 40% higher than Walmart.
I have been in there a few times (every year or two) looking for something I can't find elsewhere. No luck of course.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
A real quick story that happened a week or two ago.

A genius robs a Dollar Tree with a 1911.

I don't know if Dollar Tree has a silent alarm, but the police caught up with him, walking in the parking lot of the shopping center across the street.
Calling for him to drop the gun and get prone on the ground, he disobeyed their orders and kept walking towards Publix. The police, following, repeatedly demanded he drop his weapon, he in turn, repeatedly ignored them... that is until he got to the automatic doors of Publix, where they promptly shot him dead.

Now, if he would have gotten into Publix, we would have had our very own Dog Day Afternoon. Thank God the police saw this coming.

Thank you very much, ladies, but I'll remain armed at all times.

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-...ounter-armed-robbery-suspect-in-boynton-beach

1 - 20 of 51 Posts