Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for anyone proficient in knife throwing.

As a kid I bought a throwing knife and the instructions said to always hold and throw so as to give the knife a half turn in flight. I got to where I could stick the knife consistently. Now I'm wondering about the real world. Half turn?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am no expert in any sense of the word. Some knives I can toss well, while others seem impossible. I really think in boils down to the weight and balance of the knife. Some work better blade first, while others work from the handle and they all seem to vary on how much flip and how you hold them in your hand. If you get good (reliable) with a certain knife, try not to lose it...

I like throwing 5" saw blades the best ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Friends and I used to throw knives in our early to mid teens but weren't proficient at it. We were a bit more successful with throwing stars. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do thrown knives, etc., penetrate deeply enough to be effective weapons? I know they work well in the movies, but what about real life?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pioneer461 said:
Do thrown knives, etc., penetrate deeply enough to be effective weapons? I know they work well in the movies, but what about real life?
I haven't quite figured out what you're supposed to say where. The description of "Lounge" merely says "Off topic discussions." My point being, I didn't intend my knife throwing question to actually be about defense. Altho I suppose it might conceivably be used as a VERY short term play for time, television style.

Practice can be surprisingly good exercise, especially if you're as bad as I am at sticking a knife in something other than the ground where you must retrieve it repeatedly. And if you throw it hard enough to make it stick in hard material.

Knock down power? Much greater than a feather! ;)

JimL

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I used to throw them in to an old dart board and it would stick in it about an inch, I wasnt really throwing it that hard either. Im sure you get get it in someone pretty deep with enough force

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MPanova said:
I used to throw them in to an old dart board and it would stick in it about an inch, I wasnt really throwing it that hard either. Im sure you get get it in someone pretty deep with enough force
Also variables make a difference. Heavy or light. Dull or sharp. Broad or narrow. One edge or two. Which may be why stilettos are outlawed everywhere.

I've wondered about close-up fighting (knife talk can give you pause). The military never mentioned it in my training, but I'll bet repeated, all you can muster knee thrusts in the side could break enough ribs to put someone down if they weren't high on something (when a gun isn't even a guarantee).

But that's where mental preparation comes in. Will you actually do what's necessary when the chips are down?

I had a lady friend I told some self-defense stuff to. I made it clear that the best defense was a good offense. She made it clear that she didn't think it would be nice to actually hurt someone. People like that should NEVER, EVER have a gun.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had a buddy a long time ago who would go hunting all the time and shoot animals but when I asked if he thought he could walk up to one and kill it with a knife he said he did not think he could do it , I found that a bit strange but I guess I understand why he wouldn't be able to

1 - 10 of 10 Posts