Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have military rifles. I have a few that I find, here and there, that I shoot in mil-spec competitions. Usually, they are in need of some TLC when I get them, so they become projects. I won't stop until I wring as much accuracy out of them as is possible, without changing the original configuration. Last Friday, I happened across a Maltby R.O.F. MK1 #4 in pretty decent shape. It's from 1942. I assume, by the dings and dents on it, it was used in WWII...and survived. Here's a couple of pictures of it along with it's American cousin, Remington Mod 1917 from 9-18:

The stock is in decent shape. it has a MK 1 milled vernier sight on it, and a 2 groove barrel with a bright bore. I did have to shim the front barrel contact point, as the stock had shrunk away from the metal. Most of the numbers match, and the metal finish is in good shape under the wood line. Maybe next week, I'll get a chance to test fire it....

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
That 1917 eddystone is about the only old military rife I have not shot. I shot many txc service rifle and military surplus matches with my Garand and '03 smith corona.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Nice example. Is it still .303?. or has it been re-bored.. I had a Lee-Enfield No4 Mk2 that I got for a song, turned out it had ALL matching serial numbers..!! Couldn't find a matching No32 Scope to go with it so I used a Whitetail Classic 1.5x4. This rifle was very accurate out to 600m.. Has yours had the bolt knob altered?

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
I love a good shooting milsurp turnbolt.

I had two No, 4's and a couple of Ishapore rifles. The 4's were beautiful, but their wartime mgf. bores were way out of spec. Beauty being only skin deep, my Ishapore G & F out shot both the Long Branch and Fazakerley. The ugly wire wrap could easily pull off 4'' groups at 100 yards. My No.4's were not so good. Cerrosafe muzzle cast groove diameter on the G&F was measured at .314'', the Fazakerley measured at .317'' and the Long Branch groove diameter checked in at .321''.

Only Enfield I have left is an Ishapore 7.62 Nato conversion that out shot my .303 Brits.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Great looking old warhorses there.

Have always loved battered old bolt-action battle rifles and imagined the stories they could tell.

Based on the title, almost passed the thread by, but when I saw it wasn't Rickenbacher that started it, I figured it'd probably be okay. :D

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Some nice vintage rifles, we have to need to the keep the past to appreciate the present.

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
Thanks to all who have shared, 'specially with pics. An old war rifle still in uniform always catches my eye, kind of like the old dog in the back of the kennel at a rescue shelter. If they can tell me a story, I'll take 'em home with me.

Reactions: Troll

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks to all who have shared, 'specially with pics. An old war rifle still in uniform always catches my eye, kind of like the old dog in the back of the kennel at a rescue shelter. If they can tell me a story, I'll take 'em home with me.

You might find this website interesting.

https://lee-enfield.org/

This is well known as the GB home of all that is Lee-Enfield related. If you Google the name 'Ian Hogg' you'll also find a mine of info and I believe before his death, he was a member of LERA (Lee-Enfield Rifle Association).

Reactions: Troll

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bolt knob seems to be as designed. It's still .303...Might get a chance with it this coming week.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the link. Never can know too much...about firearms, anyway...Considering slugging the barrel, but the crown passes the "bullet test"..I have ONE 1914 Mil surp round (more, lots more, coming this next week), 215 round nose...

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I have military rifles. I have a few that I find, here and there, that I shoot in mil-spec competitions. Usually, they are in need of some TLC when I get them, so they become projects. I won't stop until I wring as much accuracy out of them as is possible, without changing the original configuration. Last Friday, I happened across a Maltby R.O.F. MK1 #4 in pretty decent shape. It's from 1942. I assume, by the dings and dents on it, it was used in WWII...and survived. Here's a couple of pictures of it along with it's American cousin, Remington Mod 1917 from 9-18:

The stock is in decent shape. it has a MK 1 milled vernier sight on it, and a 2 groove barrel with a bright bore. I did have to shim the front barrel contact point, as the stock had shrunk away from the metal. Most of the numbers match, and the metal finish is in good shape under the wood line. Maybe next week, I'll get a chance to test fire it....
Looks great! Can you do that "mad minute" thing the British had to do with it?

·
Super Moderator
19,610 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Whoa! That's impressive! ;)
I live with in driving distance to the CMP south store. Left to right. A Correct grade SA in a new Boyd walnut, Correct grade HRA with LMR barrel, A nice SA. The other two are not mine. A tractor ( international harvester) and a Winchester.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm planning a trip to the Camp Perry store this summer. I have 1/6th of the money I need for what I'm looking for, put away....and then this nice SVT-40 shows up on GunBroker, with a penny start :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really nice rifles. I have a Mark IV (matching numbers) that my son managed to get a 14mm grouping with a vernier sight. It is a Parker Hale so I assume that is nothing special. I also have a Mark I (Long Lee) with the date stamp on the band indicating it is from 1893. The rifle is out of the BSA factory. I can get a 1.5" to 2" grouping with ex military ammunition but it prints a bit high. Unfortunately it does not have matching numbers but I still love to take it to the range and shoot it.
Then I have a P14 that my dad used to shoot Bisley with. It was converted to 7.62x51 and I then had a custom made stock fitted as well some minor cosmetic work to the action. The work was done Magnum Arms in South Africa and even though it thousands of rounds have gone through that barrel it is still good for a 1" grouping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts