Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
That would be ALMOST worth going to see.

·
Super Moderator
13,775 Posts
About six months ago I made my weekly visit to my local gun store. The guys were looking down the barrel of a .38/.357 revolver, forget which make/model (it wasn't a Taurus). I asked, they handed it to me, and there it was - a brand new gun with no rifling in the barrel. None, nada, zilch. Yeah, it can happen.

·
Administrator
39,378 Posts
I have heard they come from Brazil that way to get past some regulation about short barrel's. They get cut off and crowned here.
I’ve seen the same thing. Right here on TA, I think.

·
Super Moderator
40,404 Posts
There was a Taurus .500 S&W floating around the same way, uncut barrel. I asked one of the people I met from Taurus many years ago how that could happen. It was explained to me this way.

Some of the short barreled revolvers can not be imported with a short barrel because they don't meet the points requirement for importing. So they make them with the barrel sticking out like that to classify it as a longer barrel and get the points needed for importation. When they arrive in the USA they are cut off and crowned.

Occasionally a gun is missed and gets sent out to distributors. Normally it would get sent back however some grab them up a a potential collector item.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Some of the short barreled revolvers can not be imported with a short barrel because they don't meet the points requirement for importing. So they make them with the barrel sticking out like that to classify it as a longer barrel and get the points needed for importation. When they arrive in the USA they are cut off and crowned.

Occasionally a gun is missed and gets sent out to distributors. Normally it would get sent back however some grab them up a a potential collector item.
He-He-he-- must have been one of the days that Clarence was filling in on the quality control shipping department side of the factory!
Miss an un cut barrel---LOL--WOW!

·
Super Moderator
19,640 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,640 Posts
That's just not real, no one can be that stupid can they?
I have heard they come from Brazil that way to get past some regulation about short barrel's. They get cut off and crowned here.
This is true. During our staff visit to Taurus Mfg in Miami back in 2013 we saw this process of their production line. There are barrel minimums on imported barrels and they have to be cut down and crowned by Taurus MIami.

I would buy that gun in a heartbeat. The long barrel might impart value in the future. There are tons of unintended blemishes (incorrect roll markings, different serial numbers on separate gun parts, etc) especially with 1911s which jump into the thousands of dollars value especially if only a limited run was done before they recognized the incorrect blemish/findings.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I can't say I've ever seen that before. Looks like a "Homey Special"! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts