Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first experience with straight 8's. I wasn't sure at first but after the first three clips I've been convinced that they may be the perfect sight for the intended purpose of my PT145.
I've still got some work to do as far as getting used to them(only 60 rounds so far) but they feel pretty natural. I may replace them with the night versions. It became clear to me at the range that you can line up a shot pretty quickly with these things at close range. Maybe not a dead nuts on shot, but it's gonna be in the zone. To each his own but I have to say... I like them.

Administrator
I have them on my PT145 and PT1911. I've never really given much consideration to changing them out. Like you, I like them, and find them easy to use. :thumb:

Super Moderator
I'm with Smoke...got them OEM on my PT145 SS and PT 1911 SS and have no plans to change them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so used to 3 dots and I'm not sure I would want the straight 8's in every situation (that may change in time) but for a concealed carry piece... Perfect. It just feels like covering the target with that front sight puts you in the neighborhood you need to be in.. And quick.

Registered
I preferred the 3 dot Novak but the 2 dot Heine is OK. I don't plan to change out the Heine on my PT145 either.

Super Moderator
I'm with Smoke...got them OEM on my PT145 SS and PT 1911 SS and have no plans to change them.

Registered
I prefer them for th 145 and the 111 they are both intended for close range. And with my eyes, I will never be a marksman, better stick with that story.

Registered
When I first got my 145 I thought " These sights suck!" But the more I shot with them the more I like them. For the defensive purpose of a PT145, there is no better site, IMO.

Reactions: atomiccat2002

Registered
Having used only 3 dot sights for a few decades they were very hard for me at first,but I kept practicing.I did put a drop of red paint on the front and yellow on the rear so I could see them better and quicker,that worked great.I can now shoot with them fairly well and I'm comfortable with them.It took some practice and a little tweaking,but now my PT140 is broke- in and I'm broke- in to the sights.It's my EDC and I'm very comfortable with it. morayman...........

Registered
I got them on my PT609, and like them too! But, I also contacted Taurus and purchased the 3 dot setup for the gun.
I have not bothered to try it though, as I am really liking the straight eights.

Registered
I didnt like them at all and combined with the long mushy trigger I traded my pt140 away. Don't get me wrong it was a very reliable and decently accurate gun that carried well. Just not for me. Good to hear you're happy with yours Notrace.

Registered
Pt111, took a little getting used to, mainly that you have to "cover" the target with the front dot (behind the blade effectively). As mentioned great for fast targeting, but challenging at a distance as the blade covers too much at any double-digit yardages.

Registered
I'm going to be the lone dissenting voice here. I hated them from the get go. I never could get used to them. I could use them reasonably well but at the first chance I changed them out. Now my 24/7 feels a lot more natural to me. I suppose it's just what you're used to.

Registered
I did not care for them, but only because I did not want to have to remember a sight picture for one gun different than the rest of them. Nothing wrong with them really, just a personal prefference.

Registered
This is my first experience with straight 8's. I wasn't sure at first but after the first three clips I've been convinced that they may be the perfect sight for the intended purpose of my PT145.
I've still got some work to do as far as getting used to them(only 60 rounds so far) but they feel pretty natural. I may replace them with the night versions. It became clear to me at the range that you can line up a shot pretty quickly with these things at close range. Maybe not a dead nuts on shot, but it's gonna be in the zone. To each his own but I have to say... I like them.
Kind of funny how a sight picture changes in a combat situation... front sight post is the only thing I see with a concealed handgun I use for self defense. Double tap to center mass off front sight post; basic training...

Registered
It took me a while to get used to and had contemplated changing them out for the 3 dot. But now I've grown used to the Straight 8 and really don't have the urge to swap them out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts