Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting my PT945 Friday in DA and SA and my friend was shooting his really expensive Kimber 1911 (don't know the specific model). I noted how accurate he was in SA and asked him to try DA. The gun wouldn't do it. I have a Colt 1911 but haven't shot it in a while and can't remember if it's the same way. I don't think I could conceal carry a .45 with a round chambered, hammer cocked and the safety on. I am more comfortable with the PT945; round chambered, hammer released and safety on. Seems like way less chance of shooting a round in my leg.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Yeah, the Kimber is set up like pretty much every other 1911 on the market true to the original design; SA, cocked & locked. Luckily the 945 is SA/DA with a decocking option, and the loss in accuracy is minimal at best at SD distances. I think it's mostly due to the tilting barrel design compared to the 1911. I love my 945 and my 1911, and really have no problems carrying cocked and locked on either one. It's a tad easier on the 1911 to do so since the safety doesn't wipe off as easily as on the 945, and the 1911 isn't firing until that grip safety is depressed either.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I have really grown to favor my Taurus pistols that offer the SA/DA, manual safety, and decocker. I just have a brain fart thing when it comes to cocked and locked carry, so I tend to carry one of the others or my .327mag 2" revolver.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yeah, each has it's advanteges. However, for the cost of that Kimber, I am sure I could purchase a 945 AND a PT1911! That way I would have TWO quality firearms instead of one, and I would be much happier! :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
for the price of the Kimber, I bought 2 1911's. I'm looking at the Taurus sitting on the nightstand right now and the Remington R1 is in the car. Kimbers sure are pretty guns but I can't justify the price when compared to my sweet shooting PT1911AR.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have the 1911ARL and the 945 in SS. (I guess I'm stupid about shiny.) Both guns work very nicely, though the 1911 has a better trigger IMO. I sure wouldn't trade both for a Kimber.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I was going to get a Kimber a couple months ago. Instead, I got 2 S&W revolvers ans a rifle for the same money.

Reactions: dogranch

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a PT945 and a Kimber Custom II. I only regret selling the 945.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts