Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after many months of spending the weekends on remodeling projects the boys and I finally made it to the range to do some shooting. My 16 year old decided he was ready to shoot more than just .22lr and the 13 year old was unsure so we took him the S&W M&P 15-22 to shoot.

The older boy started out shooting the AR-15 which he has previously shot. He did shoot some hotter loads this time and liked it. Than he was ready to move on to some handguns. Since it had been a while since we had been to the range we started with the .22 Browning Buckmark. They shot the steel plate rack at 12 yards. Both did quite well. Than we bumped up to .32 S&W Long from the Taurus M327. Again they both shot it at the plate rack and did well. Next up was .38 spl from the Taurus Model 66. Both liked it and did well. 16 year old wanted to try .357 Mag. So I loaded on cartridge and let him try. Keep in mind my 16 year old is lucky if he weights in at 105 pounds. Tall and skinny as a stick. The recoil pushed the limits of his tolerance. He did fire another two cylinders of 7 rounds. No magnum loads at steel plates so he shot paper. At 10 yards he kept them all on a man size target. Not bad for the first time shooting it. The youngest passed on shooting the .357 Mag.

Next up Semi-auto's. Both shot the PT-58 in .380 just fine. Again shooting the plate rack they did very good. Youngest was quite content with the .380 and declined to step it up to 9mm. Older son really liked the 9mm and I think he shot close to 75 rounds through it.

Back to rifles. Oldest son shot 9mm carbine and .327 Henry. We shot right up to sunset and had to get packed up before dark set in on us.

All & all they both had a great time and I can see we will be taking less .22's to the range and more center-fire's.

Have a few pictures I will try and post later. My main objective was safety and making sure they could handle the the bigger calibers in a safe way.

I did manage to shoot my 10mm Ruger 1911 finally for the first time. I really like it, the brass all ejected back and to the right about 7 yards and landed in about an 18" circle. Pretty impressive ejection pattern.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I love taking the grand kids out shooting! Sounds like a Great Family outing!!

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Always a good time when you can make it to the range. It's even better when the kids are enjoying themselves!

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
Sounds like a really great range trip! Congrats on bringing up some safe new shooters who respect the tools.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic outing, however Don't post ANYTHING on social media like Fakebook or anything.

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
Glad you had a good day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts