Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a detailed strip of my PT1911FS for the first time yesterday. I laid out an old white t-shirt on the carpet to help see things and keep them where I placed them. Glad I did. After taking everything apart, while I was cleaning the parts I saw a very small round pin I didn't purposely remove. I went to the exploded view in my owners manual and found it was part # 7.6, the keylock pin. Knowing what it was now, I put in where it belonged. It was very loose in its hole and slid around effortlessly.

When I was done I put everything together and did a function check by launching a pencil from the barrel. I looked at the t-shirt for a final check and saw that the same pin had fallen out again. So I take it apart, replace the pin, re-assemble and function check again. Still good to go.

Here is the question: if everything worked with and without that pin, what's its purpose? The only thing I didn't do was try to move the hammer-mounted safety with the pin removed. Does it hold the keylock (#7.1) in the hammer?

-Ready

·
Registered
36,933 Posts
That would seem to be logical but honestly I have never had any of those parts out of the taurus hammer.
actually i check the hammer lock when I first get a taurus gun, then make darned sure its unlocked and its never used again.
IF someone here can't answer you i would give taurus a call and ask for sure.
I can't imagine it being loose enough to just fall out however?

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Looking at the diagram and the description it looks to me like it holds the keylock in. I'd be willing to bet the keylock will come out if you hold the weapon upside down and give it a tap on a hard surface. But I wouldn't do it - there's also a little spring and a tiny ball bearing up inside there.

Personally I don't like the Taurus lawyer lock on any of their firearms. Just more stuff to break. If I had a Taurus 1911 I'd probably replace the hammer and sear with something a little less lawyered up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was going to ignore the lock but................. I do agree that it's just something else to fail at the worst possible time. I ordered a WC value line hammer to replace it. My kids are in their 30's and when grand kids visit I keep every thing locked up. Besides I haven't shot this thing enough to have full confidence in it to use it for HD, so pistol and ammo are kept seprate. My HD gun is a SIG 239 in 40 S&W. However since this is a Taurus forum I'll quit by saying that the PT 1911 is probably the best gun-for- the money I own. Once I get better with it............... SIG move over. Just something about that .45 ACP in a 1911. You know what I mean. ;)

-Ready

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
The only thing better than a 1911 spitting out .45's,.... a second 1911 also spitting out .45's. That way the other hand doesn't get lonely. :guns:

Reactions: darbo and RichO
1 - 6 of 6 Posts