Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my PT111 out at the range the other day and it was keyholing at 7 yards. The reloads I was shooting were 147 gr lead bullets somewhere in the 850 fps range. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the bullets too soft, the bullets too heavy, load too light, or some combination of all of these? It seems to me that bullet must be tumbling pretty badly to show it on paper at 7 yards.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you tack your paper targets to a cardboard backing? If so, and you have a gap between the paper and the backing, it is possible the paper is buckling on impact (creating the keyhole) but you should still see a clean hole in the cardboard backing. I dunno...it happened to me last week and freaked me out until I noticed the gap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make a lot more sense. I had my targets stapled to a sheet of particle board but there was a big hole right in the middle where I was shooting. As you say it's probably not keyholing at all then and just the paper moving. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
shoot some factory fmj's and report back.. still have key holing then we can worry.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hey Jerk, (I always wanted to say that!! 8)) I think it may be the reloads.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also had tumbling using 147 gr lead. Found out I was using to fast a burning powder (Titegroup). Switched to Power Pistol and that solved my problem. Also the accruacy improved quite a bit.

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
The only time I've ever had keyholing was when I first started reloading. I was trying to run the bullet to fast and improperly lubing same. Never had a factory keyhole and learned my lesson with the reloads. So, I'm with jlentz, most likely it's the reloads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another trip to the range confirmed that DaBull was right--my target wasn't tight to the backing and the bullet's impact was moving the target to cause the appearance of keyholing. Sorry to cause such a stir over nothing. :-[

1 - 9 of 9 Posts