Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody here got any intel on the Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22WMR? I thought it may be a fun toy for the range.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I don't have any info on it, but the pistol does have certain esthetic qualities that appeal to me.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Sounds like fun! Wish I had one, so I could go to the range and play!! Enjoy your new toy....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My thought is I wish they sold one in .22lr. 30 rounds of .22wmr every few seconds could get expensive. I've never actually seen one, but I really like the idea of it. Kinda like a poor man's FN Five Seven.

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
I would definitely look at one. I don't know if they are still back ordered or not.....looks like a fun gun to shoot though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We sold two "old" style PMR-30's and 5 "new" style PMR-30's.

Here's the lowdown. The "old" style never made it out the store or off the range except to go back to Kel-Tec. You'll know if you have the "old" one if the trigger bar and sear are plastic, there's little metal around the breech face and the buffer at the end of the recoil spring is clear and thin, not thick and white. Both "old" styles we sold, broke the trigger bar.

After the 1st couple hundred PMR-30's were being returned to Kel-Tec with broken triggers they had a "quiet" recall, where we were notified over the phone to return all of our PMR-30's for the free "upgrade package".

Since the upgrade, we've not had to send any back. A handful of FTE's during break-in, but after that, no problems with either Federal, CCI or Dynapoints. Accuracy is so-so. You won't be sniping squirrels at 50 yds much less 100 yds. I see their place as a possible home defense firearm for those who are extremely adverse to recoil. COM inside of 25yds is easy, but you won't win any matches against your buddies at that range either.

I don't underestimate the usefulness and terminal ability of a .22 Magnum, even from a snub-nose revolver, much less a PMR-30 or a rifle. A .22M can be a devastating round at hallway distances. Even at it's very worst, it beats harsh language.

Incredibly light firearm. They feel like a toy gun. I have reservations as to how long the slide lock will hold up. If you don't use it as slide release, you should be ok, otherwise I see wear problems cropping up in the future.

As a company, I like their products and their service. Their Sub2K's are fantastic pistol carbines. The P3AT's regularly outshoot the Ruger clone LCP and tend to feed more brands of ammo over the LCP. The SU-16's are pretty durable, but are not on the level of a quality AR. The SU-16 barrel is very thin, so you can't allow it to get too hot. When hot, they tend to "walk" on paper. The RFB is less than stellar, imo, from a reliability standpoint and accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. I had high hopes for the RFB, but was very disappointed.

These are just my opinions. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
All the reviews I've read on other forums have all been positive.

The only complaint seems to be how quickly one can run up their ammo bill buying .22 magnums.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kel-Tec PMR-30

I've had one since November, 2010, one of the first ones. It has been back to Kel-Tec three times since, but I'm not complaining. They have been extremely accommodating, and I've been glad to be a beta tester for them. Altogether, I’ve shot over 4,500 rounds through it, but after the last two times I had it serviced, it was returned essentially as a brand new pistol. In its current configuration, it is reliable and very comfortable to shoot.

Some operational observations . . . . it needs to be kept lubricated, don't be skimpy on the slide lube or oil. Currently, I'm using Gun Butter from Midway.

Gun Oil 2/3oz Liquid

It doesn't take much, but you do need to lube all bearing surfaces on the slide, receiver, and barrel block. I only load my magazines with 25 rounds. It does not place too much pressure on the brass like it does when you load them fully, and 25 rounds evenly splits a box of ammo between two magazines.

If you fire it rapidly, it gets HOT. I've had many 200+ round sessions at the range, and sometimes it gets so hot that there are heat waves coming off of the slide, which affects my sight picture, and the side of the slide gets too hot to the touch, which affects the way I grip it.

It is pretty accurate, once you get used to the sight picture and point of aim. I am able to place 25 shots into a group the size of my palm at 50’. Below is a target showing the results of 25 rapid fired shots at 25’.

Like someone posted previously, center of mass at 25', even in a rapid fire situation, would be easily achieved. I sucessfully competed in a Police Pistol Combat match at my local range with my PMR-30. I scored a 553 out of 600 using my favorite round, the Federal Game-Shok 50gr. JHP.

I haven’t tried shooting in the dark, but I would think that you would have your night vision affected because of the large flash, and firing in a home defense situation without hearing protection would put a major hurt on your ears. I guess that, if it was a choice between your life and your hearing, I would choose hearing loss over death.

All in all, I’m very satisfied with my PMR-30, and I can’t wait to get an RMR-30 to go with it.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great report!

·
Registered
36,600 Posts
I actually got to shoot one that a couple guys had at the range last Friday.
Its kind of an odd feeling gun in my hands, shoots reasonbally accurate, i like the fiber optic sight.
trigger was average i would say.
although my Browning Buckmark was more accurate out of my hands and from what they were shooting the PMR-30 too.
they were having a few function problems , there were 3 of them shooting and so the gun could be hot, i have no idea how it was cleaned or if it was nor how old , but it appeared as a fairly new weapon.
I ran a 10 round burst through it and i could get use to it after a few boxes of ammo.
The really good thing from my standpoint was that i didn't have to buy the ammo these guys (or me) was shooting, they must have ran 6-7 boxes through the gun.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I could certainly see one of these in 22LR being a huge seller as cheap and plentiful as .22LR ammo is. Hopefully Kel-Tec will manufacture one at some point.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got one back in August or sept, I can't really remember. I havent had a single problem with it. It's the "newer" one with the redesigned barrel.

·
Registered
766 Posts
When they first came out, I wanted one real bad. For a while they were selling on gunbroker for double MSRP. I bid on one but it went way over what I was willing to pay. Then the bad reviews came rolling in and I was glad I didn't get one.

Consoled myself by getting an FN 5.7, which has been perfect.
Plus, I can reload the 5.7. So, in the long run the price differential will maybe even out.

That RMR-30 looks pretty slick, Rgkitchen. If they turn out to be reliable, and cheaper than a 5.7 upper, I'll be wanting one for sure.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The 5.7 gun is multiples of times the price of the PMR. Ammunition for the 5.7 is also more expensive. Reloading the 5.7? That is supposedly a bit of trouble, as it's so small. You'll be reloading a LONG time to make up the difference in price.

Oh, and the 5.7 comes with 20 round magazines. They sell an extension mag piece that allows for 30 rounds, but makes an already large gun bigger.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not legal in NYS so useless to me anyhow. Looks like a nice piece tho...

·
Registered
79 Posts
UPDATE - PMR-30 w/Laser

I purchased a real cheap Chinese knockoff laser off of Ebay. I haven't been able to shoot with it yet, but it sure looks nice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seem the pmr30's sporting the whalter produced laser and it looks slick as hell. Almost seems to fit the stile of the gun.
I still have a Walther laser, but I had to remove the locking tabs to get it on and off (I use a short ladder rail cover to keep it from sliding off), and the battery door kept falling off as I fired (I used a small drop of super glue to get it to stay on).

The pistol in the above photo had been rebuilt by Kel-Tec after the photo was taken, and is the same one as in the photo in Post #17.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts