Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your review of the Kel-Tec P3AT? My dealer called today, said he had two. I'm going to look at them tomorrow. What are your likes and dislikes. Problems etc. Things I need to know. Hurry guys, I may or may not buy one around noon. Need a little input.

Thanks and cheers and all that! :thumb: :fart: :drool:

Registered
Smokewagon,... Tell More... Price, and Type of Finish...???

This is what you want if your going to carry concealed with a Clip, or ISWB... Sweat, and Holsters wreck, and wear off the Finish of the Blued, and Parkerized finishes...
KEL-TEC P-3AT HARD CHROME NEW
http://www.gunsamerica.com/90014038...Pistol-Type/KEL_TEC_P_3AT_HARD_CHROME_NEW.htm

Keltec P3AT Blue 380 cal Blue/Black
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=95749618

Kel-Tec P-3AT
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/keltec_092304/

Registered

Dislikes: kicks like a mule. Not fun to shoot (25 rounds is plenty). prone to limp-wristing probs. Can be picky on what ammo it likes.

Registered
I've been thinking about getting one but then the Ruger came out. But as the Ruger's are difficult to locate I might still go with the P3AT. Either will make a great small pocket gun but I'd rather have it back up something more effective on the belt.

FYI, Kel-tec's warranty only applies to the original owner. http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/faq.php 6th question

There is the Keltec Owners Groung (KTOG) which has a forum as well. I haven't been around there for a while but there should be some good info there.

Here's a few articles for your consideration:
THe P32, the P3AT's predecessor:
http://www.gunblast.com/JW_Kel-Tec32.htm

The P3AT:
http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec_P3AT.htm

And the Ruger LCP (seems like an upgraded P3AT):
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm

I had a P32 for a while and it was reliable as long as it was clean. Once you got a box or so through it, it became cranky, however I never did the Fluff-N-Buff treatment to it. I traded it on my XD so that I wouldn't be tempted to just toss it in a pocket and go. Now I'd just like one for the times I want an easily carried back-up.

Steelheart

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Pocket guns are scarce in this area, and I'm tired of waiting to see the new little Ruger. Think I may take the opportunity to get the Kel-Tec until the LCP becomes a little more common. I want something like this for times when my PT145 just becomes a little hard to keep a secret. :thumb: :zzz:

Registered
I've held several never shot one. I didn't like how small they are in my hands. I've also heard that they sometimes do not eject the last shell.

Registered
I'm starting to lean the same way about the LCP. Then again, I just had to get myself a mileage car as the ex-gf/roommate had the tranny on her van go out so I'm lending her my Jeep and driving this Nissan. This way she is still able to get to work and I get to spend less on fuel. This does kill the chances of me getting myself a new gun for a while though.

Steelheart

Registered
Steelheart said:
I've been thinking about getting one but then the Ruger came out.
Same thing here. Two months ago I would have snatched up a chromed P3AT in a heart beat @ $235. But when I saw one at the gun show for that price two weeks ago I passed because I want the Ruger LCP. It's on the top of my list now because of the high praise it has received. Prior to the LCP coming out, the only chromed P3AT in Vegas cost $330 (OUCH!). It looks like the new LCP is driving the price for a P3AT down.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought the P3AT today. I'm impressed. 100 rounds, flawless out of the box. A little rough on the hand after about 25 rounds but, hey these weren't meant to be range guns. When the Ruger LCP gets to this area, I'll probably buy one of those as well, then decide which I like best. I'm already fallin' in love with the Kel-Tec. :clap: :angel: :zzz:

Registered
Smokewagon said:
When the Ruger LCP gets to this area, I'll probably buy one of those as well, then decide which I like best.
I had the same philosophy about women before I got married. Too bad I had to cut the others loose. They were fun to play with, too. :devil:

Registered
Just saw your post smokewagon. The 380 will be a nice gun for you. I had one and sold it to buy something else. Still have a 32 and really like it. Have a little pocket holster for it. Like you said, it's no range gun. Wasn't meant to be. Sure does what it's suppose to do. And KelTec has been very good about problems even if you're not the original owner.

Registered
I've had one for a while. Just like everyone says, it's not a range gun. It has never malfunctioned or given me any grief. It is incredibly easy to conceal, no matter what you are wearing. I have polished mine up on the feed ramp and a couple of other key spots. It shoots fine for a tiny pistol.

Registered
kingofwylietx said:
I've had one for a while.聽 Just like everyone says, it's not a range gun.聽 It has never malfunctioned or given me any grief.聽 It is incredibly easy to conceal, no matter what you are wearing.聽 I have polished mine up on the feed ramp and a couple of other key spots.聽 It shoots fine for a tiny pistol.聽
Everything he said and also they can be finicky with ammo.聽 I'm still playing around to find the right hollow points for mine, but with FMJ it's great.聽 Recoil is less than a blowback design .380 and in fact once you figure out how to hold onto it it shoots a lot better than you might think.聽 I wrapped two layers of bicycle tire innertube on mine to fatten up the grip and now it goes everywhere I can take a gun.聽 I like mine.

Registered
My P3AT likes Gold Dot HP's. Without looking at the box, I think they're 85 gr.

Registered
I'm going to try some PMC Starfires in mine this weekend.聽 I've had good luck with them in the past. If they don't work out I'll try the goldots next.

Registered
Mine is a 24/7 all-the-time weapon. Sometimes as a primary and sometimes a BUG. It is small, lightweight, easy to conceal, decent caliber, and reliable. I can bury it in jeans, slacks, shorts, jackets, vests so it's kind of like a derringer size with 7 total shots. But reliability does take time and use to confirm. And it is definitely snappy and sometimes will bite, especially in larger hands.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, since I got mine it's been on me from the time I get dressed 'til I crawl in bed at night. Then I sleep with a PT145. I plan to use the P3AT only in warm weather and those cases where something larger may be harder to conceal. :thumb: :thumb: :zzz:

Registered
I'm leaning towards Corbon Powerball for a carry load in whatever mini 380 I end up getting. I'll have reliable expansion and feed reliability. It just won't be cheap. I'll probably also function test a cheap, locally available JHP as a back-up.

Steelheart

Registered
If the current batch of JHP's I have won't feed reliably, I will probably go to the old trick of loading one in the tube and filling the mag with FMJ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts