Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Kel Tec fans

24K views 110 replies 44 participants last post by  Xiphos 
#1 ·
I'm a Kel Tec fan as well, and I regularly carry the P3AT (.380 cal) and a P11 9mm on occasion. Kel Tec owners, feel free to post here.

#27 ·
I'll take pictures of both and post here.

The PT 145 and the Kel Tec P11. The Taurus is a little "heftier", but not by much.
http://www.hunt101.com/?p=470515&c=500&z=1"]
[/url]

As both are double stack, the thickness is close. The PT145 is about 1/8" thicker.
http://www.hunt101.com/?p=470514&c=500&z=1"]
[/url]

Both I consider as conceal carry weapons. The P11 with the clip works nice in a 5 o'clock IWB carry. I'll probably carry the PT145 IWB in a left hand holster SOB.

#28 ·
I guess you could say I'm a Kel-Tec fan. At present I own 6:
P-32 (Daily carry)
P3AT (soon to be when break-in is over)
P-11 (DAT trigger)
PLR-16
Sub 2000 .40
SU-16C

Daily carry setup. P-32:

Sub2000:

PLR-16 dressed:

P-11:

SU-16C "Charlie":

#31 ·
Welcome to more Kel-Teckies! I've been eyeing those sub 2000s for a while, hoping to run into a deal on one. I'd really prefer a 9mm that would interchange mags with the P11. I think that would make a handy combo to have in the truck. The P3AT now goes with me as a daily pocket carry, with the P11 as primary, but that may soon be replaced by the Taurus PT145, after break-in. I was considering the PF9, but will wait on that until bugs get worked out. BTW, 9x19, how much for the chrome job on the P11? Looks great!

#33 ·
While I do like both, I'm leaning toward the PT145 for a primary carry. There are times when the P11 will still be in primary use, depending on weather and clothing. The best thing to do is get both, then you don't have to make a decision!!

#34 ·
I've ordered 3 twelve-round mags, and am looking hard for a NIB p11 around Chattanooga. There's a gun store supposed to get one in next Monday, and I'm going to jump on it. It seems that p11's are getting hard to find. KT must be putting all their energy into the PF9. Personally, I find the P11 to be a lot more gun, and well-tested for a decade. I traded one once for a Glock, but need to get another one. The P11 is SO easy to carry, and 12+1 capacity is really great.

#35 ·
When Kel Tec announced the PF9, I expected a smaller RohrBaugh size 9mm. The PF9 is, size wise, a P11 single stack. I don't understand why the effort for fewer rounds. I was going to get one, but I'm glad I saved the money and bought the new .45 instead. The p11 and the P3AT will still serve me well.

#36 ·
The reason for fewer rounds is simple. Like the 5 shot revolver, it makes a smaller and easier to carry or hide piece. Convenient gun carrying, whether it is light weight or a smaller package than full size pistols, is all the rage these days. The old axiom, carried a lot, shot little applies.

#37 ·
michaelfm said:
When Kel Tec announced the PF9, I expected a smaller RohrBaugh size 9mm. The PF9 is, size wise, a P11 single stack. I don't understand why the effort for fewer rounds. I was going to get one, but I'm glad I saved the money and bought the new .45 instead. The p11 and the P3AT will still serve me well.
So, its along the lines of a Sig P239 (the single stack service gun vs the 380's)?

Steelheart

#38 ·
The PF9 is actually longer by .2 inches than the P11, same height, only other difference is the PF9 is .85" thick compared to 1" for the P11. I don't think you gain anything in size for conceal carry because they're roughly about the same. It means carrying less rounds. Like the same reason I chose the PT145 over the PT745. Size was almost the same, but the 145 carried more rounds. I don't think there is much of a difference in weight either, except when you take into consideration the weight of 4 to 6 extra rounds, depending on whether you have the 10 or 12 round mags in the P11. If a great deal ever came along on one, I still might buy it, since I do like the Kel Tec products. But I will wait at least a year to make sure they have the bugs worked out first.

#39 ·
The PF9 is actually longer by .2 inches than the P11, same height, only other difference is the PF9 is .85" thick compared to 1" for the P11. I don't think you gain anything in size for conceal carry because they're roughly about the same.
I was sayin' this when the PF9 was first rumored. All the guys at KTOG were jumping on me like the PF9 was going to be such a revelation in carry, woopti do, a whole .12" thinner. ::) For this you give up firepower? I'm pretty happy stickin' with my P11. Some make a big deal about the "better" trigger of the PF9. For them, I guess that matters. I like a long DA myself, especially for safe pocket carry.

#41 ·
No big deal guys. For instance, short statured guys like myself with small short fingers can get a better grip on the single stack better than the double column magazine pistols. I'd rather carry,say,a S&W 908, CS9, Kahr K9, or the Kel-tecPF9 for that alone. With most of the single stacks grip and control are worth more than worrying about a few extra rounds for us short people. I would just carry an extra magazine or two if I thought more extra ammo was necessary. Since Wisconsin doesn't have CCW and never will, that is not a consideration at all. Went with the double column magazined pistols that fit, but just barely. House protection or in the field open carry is why I have mine. Extra ammo is then more of a real world consideration when needed. And Kel-tec is catering to the single stack crowd who like them and do not want to carry a double one. May be prejudice and not totally needed, but Keltec is filling the "niche" that others feel they have a need to have and that suits them just fine. For you double stack fans. Have fun with what you have and be satisfied. Might give others that same consideration. I have a 85CH 5 shot revolver. I would carry, and do keep Bianchi Speedstrips and a speedloader or 2 with backup ammo. I would feel just fine using this as a summer time CCW carry firearm to protect my hide in the Milwaukee Metro area. What one is proficient with is what one should carry and that goes for what ever the pick to carry. Don't feel that anyone is dumping on others who carry smaller quanitites of ammo, but there is a reason that some chose lesser ammo carrying pistols or revolvers.

#42 ·
The P11 could very well be the perfect pocket/conceal carry 9mm. It doesn't need to be smaller. A 9mm any smaller would be a real handful to shoot consistantly on target. Try a Rohrbaugh if you get a chance. An $1100 gun that's very nasty to shoot. It's too small for that round. Even the Kel Tec P3AT is a beast to shoot. You just can't make them any smaller than that. Both of these really push the envelope to the limit on size. As for the grip on the PF9, I haven't held one, but like the looks of the ergomatic style. Whether there is a whole lot of (size)difference between the PF9 grip and the P11 remains to be seen. (by me, anyway). I also have no problem with the long DAO trigger on the P11, or the P3AT. I actually like those triggers in a carry weapon.

#44 ·
New P11! I Like that OD green. ;D THis is one gun nobody should be without. I like my Tauri, but will always have a spot for KT as well. Both great values in firearms.

#45 ·
I agree with MichaelFM concerning the PF9 vs the P11. I have twelve round flush fit mags in my P11, and one in the pipe, for 13 (I can add!). The grip is not fat, much nicer than a GLOCK grip. I like the p3at for suit pants carry on Sunday, and the P11 in Khaki pockets on weekdays.

#48 ·
$250 is a real score for the Glock 26. Let me know if you ever run into one of those again for that price. I won't sell my P11, though. I like it. It gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.