Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
Very interesting article! I do note that I've had no problems with magazines kept loaded for long periods of time. However, IMO, one should be very mindful of the condition/quality of the Springs used in one's magazines and the magazines general condition. Springs can get old and need to be replaced. Followers can wear.

The magazines and/or magazine springs I've worn out, have been the ones I've used for IPSC Competition. They were cycled frequently, but never kept loaded, unless at a Match.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also keep mine fully loaded I would imagine the spring gets loose if you have them in there constantly like I do but I havent noticed a real big differance in my mags. I did notice that one mag says "Made in Bra" anybody know that country I cant seem to find it anywhere on the map ;)

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
That stamping on your magazine was probably just short 3 letters and should have read "Made in Brazil".

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
sbninja

Appreciate the info. That's something that's bothered me in the past and I just never thought to bring it up. I've subconsciously kept some mags unloaded fearing some sort of tension loss. Great article!

smit

·
Registered
458 Posts
Took my 24/7 pro 9mm out last weekend, had put about 500 rds thru it since i got it in Feb, both mags have been fully loaded all the time, hadn't fired it in about a month, then the slide would not lock open after the last round, either by firing or manually racking the slide. I noticed the mags seemed easier to load than before, and the follower was not pushing the slide stop far enough to engage the slide. Took the springs out of the mags, stretched them out by hand, problem solved for now. I'm thinking those are weak mag springs. Would CS be of any help here?

·
Registered
579 Posts
What use is as empty mag ????

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have had my pt 111 since 2002. Since then, the only time there has not been a full 10 rds. of ammo in the mag, is when i'm shooting or cleaning. The rounds are a little bit easier to load now, but I have never had a ftf or malfunction of any kind with the gun/mag. (now that i've bragged on it, Mr. Murphy will probably come calling tomorrow)

·
Super Moderator
22,020 Posts
I've kept my XD-9 loaded with 3 extra mags since 911 I've noticed that they area little weaker then the newer ones but still fire without FTF. ok I was one of those that down loaded one round in each. :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I feel a bit relieved but a bit silly as well. Every night I come home and take out the ammo from my weapon to let the spring expand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts