Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, my first range report with my new Kahr CW380.

Got out of work a little early yesterday and headed to the range to start the 200 round break in as recommended by Kahr.

Started at 3 yards, "get off me" distance. all went smoothly with 14 rounds in a 3" group right at the center of the silhouette.

Backed it up to 5 yards. 14 more rounds little bigger grouping(maybe 4.5"). Still center of target. I experienced one failure in this group which may have been caused by my thumb on the slide lock, but I didn't stop to check I just "tapped and racked" and continued.

Backed up to 7 yards. I finished the remaining 22 rounds at this distance. I also started to drift left of center with my grouping, which I'm sure was just me not being accustomed to the trigger yet. I experienced 3 more failures, and at this point I am sure that they were caused by my thumb on the slide lock as I was beginning to feel a sore spot on my right thumb where it touched the lock.

I wanted to continue to 100 rounds, but the gun was becoming noticeably dirty, and I figured since I was in the break in phase I should try to run it as clean as possible. I don't know if it was the commercial reloads I was shooting, or just that I am not used to a stainless slide, but it looked filthy.

All in all I was pleased with my trip to the range and am sure the CW380 will be an excellent pocket pistol. I also have fallen in love with the Kahr trigger, so I'm thinking a compact 45 will be in the future also(don't tell the wife)...

·
22,072 Posts
This reminds me of the first time I shot my TCP. The slide lock actually cut my thumb to the point that it bled a bit. Tucked thumb grip solves that, and keeps the thumb from getting in the trigger finger's way too. I'm talking about the thumb of my right hand, to be clear. Was it your right thumb as well?

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Very good review and don't worry about the smut on the gun, keep on shooting. You forgot one thing with this review:
:nopics:

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
As promised, my first range report with my new Kahr CW380.

Got out of work a little early yesterday and headed to the range to start the 200 round break in as recommended by Kahr.

Started at 3 yards, "get off me" distance. all went smoothly with 14 rounds in a 3" group right at the center of the silhouette.

Backed it up to 5 yards. 14 more rounds little bigger grouping(maybe 4.5"). Still center of target. I experienced one failure in this group which may have been caused by my thumb on the slide lock, but I didn't stop to check I just "tapped and racked" and continued.

Backed up to 7 yards. I finished the remaining 22 rounds at this distance. I also started to drift left of center with my grouping, which I'm sure was just me not being accustomed to the trigger yet. I experienced 3 more failures, and at this point I am sure that they were caused by my thumb on the slide lock as I was beginning to feel a sore spot on my right thumb where it touched the lock.

I wanted to continue to 100 rounds, but the gun was becoming noticeably dirty, and I figured since I was in the break in phase I should try to run it as clean as possible. I don't know if it was the commercial reloads I was shooting, or just that I am not used to a stainless slide, but it looked filthy.

All in all I was pleased with my trip to the range and am sure the CW380 will be an excellent pocket pistol. I also have fallen in love with the Kahr trigger, so I'm thinking a compact 45 will be in the future also(don't tell the wife)...
Congrats on your new gun! The Kahr trigger is easy to fall in love with, they are just incredibly smooth and pretty light for a DAO. I used to hate DAO guns, then I bought a Kel Tec PF9. The trigger was lighter than any DAO I'd shot before and it was smooth enough. I liked the Kel Tec trigger very much and became very proficient with that gun. I was more accurate and a lot quicker with it than my DA revolvers. Then a couple years later I held a CW45 at a gun store and it was magic. The gun just felt right in my hand. It pointed more naturally than any gun I'd ever held and after one dry fire I decided it was the best DAO trigger I'd ever pulled. I had to have one, the price at that gun store was high at $450, so I got on Bud's and ordered one up for $320. It has taken the PF9's EDC position and I now carry it about 75% of the time with the Kel Tec making up the other 25%.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This reminds me of the first time I shot my TCP. The slide lock actually cut my thumb to the point that it bled a bit. Tucked thumb grip solves that, and keeps the thumb from getting in the trigger finger's way too. I'm talking about the thumb of my right hand, to be clear. Was it your right thumb as well?
Yes, Right thumb. I am going to work on my grip position next range trip.

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
Sounds like a decent outing.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Sounds good. Enjoy your Kahr.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I bought a used CW380 from someone who had ground down the slide release/lock so that it was much thinner and angled. I've never kept the slide from locking with it even though I use a normal grip. It's only like $25 for a replacement slide release if you don't like it. He also stippled the frame on the front left for your left thumb.

I got a good deal because of his mods, but I really like them and I'm glad I got them now. I even smoothed out the over aggressive knurling on the front right of the grip and I can shoot hundreds of rounds bare handed with no discomfort. No reason not to since the frame was already customized and I wouldn't want to sell this little gem anyhow. I do plan on fixing the finish on his grind job. It was a little rough before I sanded it but now it just looks rough at a certain angle.

It also wouldn't run flat nose and had some issues with hollow points so I got some Mag Guts for my mags and it fixed those problems completely. Which is nice since I can buy Freedom Munitions or even.. WWB if I had to.

PS Don't buy the Perfecta from Wally World for this gun. Most owners have trouble ejecting at the least. Buy American spec ammo to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts