Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago I started a rescue/restoration of an old and neglected Mauser K98. The back story can be found at K98 Mauser Project Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

The ensuing two years have entailed selling one house and buying another, moving 580 miles, learning a totally new metropolis, finding a new church home, educating myself about Oklahoma tornadoes and weather, checking out the local gun stores, and watching my grandchildren grow and develop.

One failure on the rifle was the Allen ammo holder I had put on the stock. The holder was advertised as being designed for 30 caliber ammo, and 8mm Mauser is almost identical. The elastic loops stretched to where the Mauser 8mm ammo would fall out via gravity; it sure didn't last very long. I replaced it with a Voodoo Tactical adjustable cheek rest with ammo carrier.

Every now and then I would search the internet for a long eye relief scout scope, but the inexpensive ones did not match my criteria for keeping the scout rifle project "cheap." Even used ones on eBay were priced the same as new ones elsewhere, until two weeks ago. I found a listing on eBay for a lightly-used NcStar 2-7x32E scout scope at a low price. I bid $26 and.....son-of-a-gun, I won! (Told ya I was looking for cheap. 馃榿)

The kitchen scale says the loaded package weighs 10 pounds. That don't quite fit Jeff Cooper's parameters, but hey - it's my scout rifle and I like it. 馃構 Total cost as shown: $236. Time to take it out, sight it in, and let it roar!

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Administrator
Very Nice!!! :cool: Enjoy your time at the Range with it! :)

I love Mauser Bolt Actioned Rifles and have many! :)

Registered
Nice work; nice rifle. And extra brownie points for preserving a bit of history.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

Registered
Nice looking rifle!

If you have any good places for good stocks let me know. I can have one made, but I dont want to go down the custom route.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

Registered
G3C T.O.R.O.
Nice gun. A co-worker of mine is a Mauser nut, literally. I know he has at least 30 of them. I tried to shoot one at the range, a beautiful gun he converted over to look like a regular bolt action rifle. I say tried because he hadn't adjusted the trigger, and it had about a 1-pound pull! I'm glad I had it shouldered well, went for the trigger and BANG, it went off. It's fixed now, and a very accurate gun for sure.

Registered
I'm interested in how that scope works for you, please keep us posted. I have a sported Enfield that I put a nice sniper scope on but it's not working as receiver-mounted and too long. With the way that thing kicks, I've gashed the bridge of my nose a few times since the scope is too close. I've resigned myself to the notion that a scout scope is the way to go but I've never used one before.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm interested in how that scope works for you, please keep us posted. I have a sported Enfield that I put a nice sniper scope on but it's not working as receiver-mounted and too long. With the way that thing kicks, I've gashed the bridge of my nose a few times since the scope is too close. I've resigned myself to the notion that a scout scope is the way to go but I've never used one before.
I'll keep this in mind, and start another thread after I fire some rounds and see how it holds up to 8mm Mauser (30-06 level) recoil. Stay tuned.

Registered
I'll keep this in mind, and start another thread after I fire some rounds and see how it holds up to 8mm Mauser (30-06 level) recoil. Stay tuned.
I have a '45 Turkish Mauser that I still haven't shot yet 'coz I can't find ammo. :)...you can give me a preview of how much it hurts.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Information taken from Chuck Hawks Recoil Table.

Caliber....................................................................Rifle wt/Recoil energy/Rec velocity
8x57JS Mauser (195 at 2500)8.018.512.2

.30-06 Spfd. (180 at 2700)8.020.312.8

The differences between 8mm Mauser and 30-06 are mostly negligible until you get to long-range shooting. The winning factor for the M1 Garand in combat was, of course, being a semi automatic instead of bolt action.

Reactions: jwc007

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased a cheap but cushy slip on recoil pad and installed it on the butt, then wrapped the pouch/cheek riser assembly over it. It isn't pretty, but it softens the recoil a lot and makes shooting the Mauser much easier on the shoulder and body.

Reactions: jwc007
1 - 14 of 14 Posts