Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to share my target from my chl class with everybody. I was one of two guys in the class that shot a perfect score and the only one that shot perfect and scored perfect on the written test. If anyone lives in central Texas and is wanting to get their chl I would highly suggest going to Texan Defender to do the class. They are a couple of great guys that make the 10 hour day very enjoyable. I like the fact that each shot during the proficiency portion is "timed" seeing as though in a high stress situation you aren't going to have all day to line up a shot. Please feel free to comment good or bad and if any expert shooters out there can tell mistakes I'm making from my grouping please speak up as I'm always looking to improve my accuracy.

btw, this was with my XD as I hadn't purchased my pt140 yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Congratulations nice shooting.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Good shooting!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Nice shooting!
Congratulations, and hope the wait isn't too long before you can give us your Wally Walk report!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
That's good shooting. Now that shown us you can shoot at the 2 ft range, how about 5 yards? ROTFLAO.gif

Just teasing...you forgot to mention your distance from the target.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
you did good, nice going. :thumb: ............ might have had a better grouping if it had been with a taurus. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aphdmansoc- you got me there...haha. The distances we shot from were 3yds/7yds/15yds. Certainly not extreme difficulty, but you have about 2 seconds to pull up from a low ready, obtain a sight picture and make the shot.

Darbo- you fire a total of 50 rounds from the distances above.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Nice job and congrats, now the wait begins. Hope it does not take too long.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...and 2 to the head for good measure? Nice shooting!
Funny you should say that, I almost put one in the head and ruined my perfect score on my last shot but decided against it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nice shooting and congratulations. You should try IDPA sometime. It will give you a better idea of your shooting skill in "defense mode" as opposed to "target mode". I think it lets you practice the actual skills you need to defend yourself. This is one of the reasons that Driver's Education usually goes from driving in parking lots to the open road.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
aphdmansoc- you got me there...haha. The distances we shot from were 3yds/7yds/15yds. Certainly not extreme difficulty, but you have about 2 seconds to pull up from a low ready, obtain a sight picture and make the shot.

Darbo- you fire a total of 50 rounds from the distances above.
As I recall, 20 rounds @ 3 yards, 20 rounds @ 7 yards, 10 rounds @ 15 yards. Honestly, the way they score hardly anybody actually fails. You could miss all the 15 yards and still pass. I think it was 5 points for 8 ring or better, 4 points for the seven ring, 3 points for a hit outside the rings, and 0 points for a miss of course.

Texas Best CHL and Firearms Training - Course of fire for CHL range qualification

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Funny you should say that, I almost put one in the head and ruined my perfect score on my last shot but decided against it.
Maybe its different in Texas, but here in SC if they think you intentionally shoot for the head during the test, you automatically fail. atleast thats what the instructors said when my cousin took his class a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe its different in Texas, but here in SC if they think you intentionally shoot for the head during the test, you automatically fail. atleast thats what the instructors said when my cousin took his class a few weeks ago.
Im not sure, I jokingly told my instructor I thought about it and he just laughed, he never said I would have failed due to that. I can see why it's not a great idea, but I would disagree with anyone failing only because of that. If you have hit enough shots to qualify and one "gets away from you" and happens to land a head shot, there's no reason why you shouldn't pass the proficiency portion. :)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I'm not sure they even score the shooting here in OH.

At my class:
The distance was fixed at 21 feet.

Those that shot the first mag (5 rounds to prove you knew which end of the gun to hold) close to the center of mass were then moved up to marching in place while shooting.

Several ladies had Big A$$ revolvers and were having trouble staying on the paper (3x4 feet). They didn't have to march or take double tap shots. One was even told to cock the hammer before each round just stay in the human section.

Last weekend the gent at Bass Pro told me he recommends revolvers to women who have little to no experience in shooting.
From what I saw these ladies bought the wrong weapons.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts