Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the Spectrum is shot you will notice that the slide and frame will be even
on the back of the firearm............
As I guessed the recoil spring has to set, very stiff in the beginning so it pulls the slide forward, after
putting rounds threw it my Wife's lines up just fine...................

·
Registered
129 Posts
^Nope. Put 300 rounds of Geco FMJ through a "lightly used" Spectrum I purchased off of Gunbroker. The slide still sits forward on the frame.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^Nope. Put 300 rounds of Geco FMJ through a "lightly used" Spectrum I purchased off of Gunbroker. The slide still sits forward on the frame.
Have you gone through the pistol and thoroughly cleaned it, and are you running it wet................

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, detail stripped the slide down to the firing pin, removable firing pin tunnel and all bits (springs) and pieces. Cleaned everything and put it back together. I also have the light primer strike issue (10 -15 rounds out of 300).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Agreed. Several hundred rounds through and several thorough cleanings later, my Spectrum is still misaligned.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer, my wife's is fine once the recoil spring settled in to the slide..................

·
Registered
129 Posts
Before and after pics of the pistol in question please. After doesn't count unless you have pics of the before...

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before and after pics of the pistol in question please. After doesn't count unless you have pics of the before...
Well, just so you are aware, I am a paid shill for Taurus, and am currently trying to photoshop a Spectrum
so I can make it look right.......................
When I get done with the Winter Storm that is about to hit Rapid City, I will post pics of the pistol.......................

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, just so you are aware, I am a paid shill for Taurus, and am currently trying to photoshop a Spectrum
so I can make it look right.......................
I just have a problem with the whole "my slide was offset forward on the frame...then I shot it and it fixed itself". The slide hard-locates off of the takedown pin. Spring tension (spring is actually under compression) has nothing to do with the position of the forward sitting slide other than moving it to battery. Even a "broken" in or weak spring will still be under compression and will push the slide to its "hard location" at battery.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My Spectrum is Fine I Just took the Slide off, Taped off the lower Over mold , Got a File cleaned up the frame used some 400 sandpaper buffed to a dull finish and wala!! there no more mis- alignment!!! there that was Easy!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
^Lol..you guys are killing me. So you filed down the frame to match the slide? You totally shouldn't have had to do that with a new pistol.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
^Lol..you guys are killing me. So you filed down the frame to match the slide? You totally shouldn't have had to do that with a new pistol.
Heck--who knew that Taurus was manufacturing 80% frames!!!
anybuddy tell Green Wolf about this yet?

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
My Spectrum is Fine I Just took the Slide off, Taped off the lower Over mold , Got a File cleaned up the frame used some 400 sandpaper buffed to a dull finish and wala!! there no more mis- alignment!!! there that was Easy!!!
Kind of like building a 1911?

:D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Pics, or it didn't happen.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just have a problem with the whole "my slide was offset forward on the frame...then I shot it and it fixed itself". The slide hard-locates off of the takedown pin. Spring tension (spring is actually under compression) has nothing to do with the position of the forward sitting slide other than moving it to battery. Even a "broken" in or weak spring will still be under compression and will push the slide to its "hard location" at battery.
Don't know what to tell you, my Wife's Spectrum is fine, lines up and shoots great.................
As I have said many times on this site, I don't agree with Taurus quality all the time, but being a gunsmith I
also have worked on much more expensive firearms that you would think should be perfect, if you don't want to work
on firearms, take up painting instead..................

·
Registered
129 Posts
^Well...there you go!

·
Registered
531 Posts
View attachment 407890 View attachment 407914 here's the pic on My Part from the filing I did,

Well, of course, now that you've filed the frame to match the back of the slide, you might as well address the slide's overlay indent that still doesn't quite match the overlay/grip line of the frame...

All kidding aside, nice work. I think I belong to the mindset of "we shouldn't have to do this to a new gun," but I can still appreciate the time and effort you put into it. You've certainly made it 'yours.' Thanks for posting up pictures.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts