Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my brand new Taurus 856 stainless matte finish 38 spl +P concealed hammer revolver. Feels great in the hand. Hopefully will be able to get out and shoot it a wee bit during the holidays and due to the price of ammo especially 38 spl +P you notice I said WEE BIT.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just received my brand new Taurus 856 stainless matte finish 38 spl +P concealed hammer revolver. Feels great in the hand. Hopefully will be able to get out and shoot it a wee bit during the holidays and due to the price of ammo especially 38 spl +P you notice I said WEE BIT.
Congrats. I also have a stainless 856, but mine is the 3" Defender version. It's a dream to shoot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wish I could have found what you got when I purchased my 605 .357. First thing I'd do is PU some snap caps. Not only will that free up the action, they're much cheaper to shoot than +P's :rolleyes:. The DA trigger pull on my 605 is atrocious, but it did free up using the snap caps. OTOH, the SA trigger pull is FANTASTIC! They're great little shooters, enjoy!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wish I could have found what you got when I purchased my 605 .357. First thing I'd do is PU some snap caps. Not only will that free up the action, they're much cheaper to shoot than +P's :rolleyes:. The DA trigger pull on my 605 is atrocious, but it did free up using the snap caps. OTOH, the SA trigger pull is FANTASTIC! They're great little shooters, enjoy!
I installed Galloway Precision spring kits on several of my revolvers. Huge difference, without compromising reliability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah I get the "wink,wink" the way ammo & gun prices are, looks like I'm not doing any range shooting In 2021 either, I did find a Taurus Defender at a good price but,..I can't afford to shoot It.
Been looking at a laser target set up to keep my trigger finger In shape til ammo prices come back from "STUPID" town, cost Is only about 3-4 boxes of ammo at current prices

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Congrats on your new revolver.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I installed Galloway Precision spring kits on several of my revolvers. Huge difference, without compromising reliability.
I'll look into that, so often the lighter springs cause problems. My wife absolutely loves my 605 loaded with 38s. She shoots it better than any other pistol I've got. BUT, she can't pull the trigger at all in DA. Otherwise, I'd run out and get her an 856 in a heartbeat. OTOH, in SA, it's the BEST trigger I've got on all my handguns.

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Enjoy your new 856 and congrats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll look into that, so often the lighter springs cause problems. My wife absolutely loves my 605 loaded with 38s. She shoots it better than any other pistol I've got. BUT, she can't pull the trigger at all in DA. Otherwise, I'd run out and get her an 856 in a heartbeat. OTOH, in SA, it's the BEST trigger I've got on all my handguns.
I think just lowering the trigger return down to 9 or 6lbs and leaving the main spring alone should help, I've only heard of people with newer models having problems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's one reason I like the Galloway springs. There are only two springs; a hammer spring and trigger return. Other companies offer a wider assortment, allowing for finer tuning, but also a greater possibility of issues. In this instance, I took the simple approach and it worked out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like my 856, but I had to ditch the factory grips and go to Hogues. The factory grips had a sharp corner right behind the trigger guard that caused a "hot spot" on my second finger. I have two 65's and the factory grips are very comfortable on those, so I know you can do it, Taurus. So get with the program!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like my 856, but I had to ditch the factory grips and go to Hogues. The factory grips had a sharp corner right behind the trigger guard that caused a "hot spot" on my second finger. I have two 65's and the factory grips are very comfortable on those, so I know you can do it, Taurus. So get with the program!
Hogue and Altamont make many of the factory grips for Taurus. Most of my revolvers sport Hogue wood grips. I kept the Hogue rubber factory grip on my stainless Defender 856 and replaced the rubber grip on my black Defender 856 with a Hogue rosewood grip of the same design.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do aftermarket grips made for the 85 and/or 605 work on the 856 also?

Hogue and Altamont make many of the factory grips for Taurus. Most of my revolvers sport Hogue wood grips. I kept the Hogue rubber factory grip on my stainless Defender 856 and replaced the rubber grip on my black Defender 856 with a Hogue rosewood grip of the same design.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do aftermarket grips made for the 85 and/or 605 work on the 856 also?
According to Taurus, the Altamont and Hogue grips fit the 380, 605, 85, 856, 905 and 942. The package for the Hogue rosewood grip on my 856 just says, Taurus small frame revolvers, 85, 605, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts