Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if I offend anyone, but I've always had some negative feelings towards Taurus pistols until fairly recently. My only previous experience with them was shooting a few rounds from a revolver but I had heard and read some bad things about them in the past.

Well, after having tried out many different polymer 9mm pistols before settling on a CZ (which I love), I said good bye to polymer and started looking towards my next purchase...a 1911.

After lots of researching, I was set on either a Springfield GI, RIA/Citadel tactical or a Taurus PT (kind of in that order). I was very close to pulling the trigger on a gently used Springfield at my local range for $500, but couldn't get past the lousy sights. I then came very close to buying a RIA Tactical or Citadel 1911 online, but after adding a couple of 10 round mags, credit card fees, shipping and FFL, the totals were coming out to the $650 range. Not too bad, but I started looking at my local used gun trader forum and ran across what I thought was a good deal on a PT. It had 300 rounds through it, came with nice upgraded grips and 3 extra mags (including 2 10 round Chip McCormick's that I wanted anyways) for $450.

I picked it up this morning and couldn't be happier. It looks almost new and the action is very smooth. I can't wait to put some rounds through it.

I figure that if I don't like it, I could probably sell just the pistol and the 2 mags it originally comes with for about the same amount that I bought it for and keep the extra mags for another 1911.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Congratulations on your PT1911. They are outstanding firearms with lots of loyal followers here. I think you'll find that most of what you read on the internet about Taurus is false. We here don't mind though. It leaves more for us!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
No worries my friend -- glad to have you here even if you weren't a Taurus owner -- although I am glad you purchased the PT1911! :D Great choice on the CZ poly as well. BTW, I believe that you will find that this place is hands down the best firearms forum on the web.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I actually have a P-01, which is a compact CZ75 with a rail...ie aluminum/alloy frame. The only polymer pistol that I now own is a Ruger Mark3 22/45. I don't think I can go back to a polymer framed 9mm or larger caliber pistol. :)

·
Registered
36,035 Posts
welcome to the forum!
I think that you will be happy with the Taurus Pt1911, they have served me well but I am not a single manufacture fanatic, most here have more than just Taurus weapons.
as for that i might also say that i just recently purchased the RIA Tactical that you mention but it cost 451 out the door, so the 600 bucks was way out of line fo that gun.
it by the way is aslo a very well made weapon, especially for the money.
heres a couple pics of the RIA and my Taurus PT1911.

Attachments

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
597 Posts
Congrats on your PT1911. I have one in SS and it is my carry weapon. It has served me well.
A few things about all that negative stuff you hear about Taurus on the net and in the magazines is mostly from people who have never held a Taurus let alone shot one. Sure not every Taurus is a percect gun, but there is not another manufacturer that can say that either. The thing is though, if your Taurus or something in your Taurus breaks down the road, they are still going to make it right, even though you are not the original purchaser. Many times they will just ship you the part you need, like when my extractor broke, I called, was on the phone for maybe 10 minutes and a few days later I had a new Taurus extractor.

I dont know if you are new to the 1911 platform but even if you are not this site and the people that make it so great WILL be able to help you with any problems or concerns you may have.

I also reccommend visiting
The Sight's M1911 .45 ACP Site

Again congrats on your fine 1911 choice and welcome to TA.net

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol, let us know what your impressions are after you blast some rounds downrange (pictures are always appreciated also!)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on the acquisition of one of the finest pistols on the market today for the dollars spent!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new lead slinger.

·
Registered
36,035 Posts
Olfarhors, how about a side by side comparison, RIA Tactical vs PT 1911 thread, like this one Springfield GI vs RIA GI and let the chips fall where they may.
Photo Essay: Springfield GI vs RIA Fullsize 5" (56K WARNING!) - GunRightsMedia
would be glad to do that!
well once the RIA gtes a few more rounds down range!
and of course i would need to decide what PT1911 would compare to it?
i guess the old Black one that i got?
i have done a couple of comparisons with the Para 1911 and the Sig 238 VS taurus weapons of like size/caliber.
The RIA tactical is a like comparison to the Taurus Pt1911, the GI model not so much.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Looking forward to the review.
Hope you will be posting pictures showing the comparisons similar to the the Springfield GI vs RIA GI??
Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
A good day to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts