Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted a new truglo red dot and phantom magnifier. I haven't shot it to try them out yet, but they seem to line up fine. It's just something about it doesn't look right.

Am I crazy?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Personally I don't like the looks of the combination at all.

I have zero knowledge of red dot magnifiers, however my first thought would be the magnifier needs to go in front of the red dot so the size of the dot is not magnified as well.

I guess I need to do some research on it.

Edit: quick check online and I see the magnifier goes in the back. Just seems weird to me that the red dot would also get magnified.

Reactions: CWB

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Yeah, it looks a little odd.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You ain't crazy.

This is just my opinion, so it ain't worth much. Keep the red dot, lose the magnifier.

Every advantage the red dot gives you (quick target acquisition, large field of view), is lost when a magnifier is used. You might as well sport a good illuminated 1x6 scope. YMMV.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My initial reaction is that yes, it looks a bit odd. I haven't used a magnifier though, so I can't speak to its usefulness. It really just comes down to what you like to shoot with.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It looks odd. I have one rifle setup with a 1.5-6x illuminated scope and one with an old Tasco Reddot. I am nearly as fast with the scoped rifle up close as the one with the red dot but I am significantly more accurate with the scoped rifle at distances of 100 yards or more.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
To a certain degree who cares what it looks like? The magnifier flips out of the way. So it doesn't impede anything, just gives you extra capabilities. If it works, keep it. All the times I've face palmed myself when I see guys with all kinds of Gucci gear littered on their m4s. Again, if it works who cares what it looks like. Anyway, i think it's a really cool set up!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My opinion is not the one that matters here. It is what you like, and what you feel your needs are. That is the GREAT thing about our sport, it is a very personal thing, and it's what makes each one happy that matters!

I know this sounds kind of "sappy", but it is truly how I feel about it!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Shoot it and see how you like it, it might surprise you. If you like the way it shoots you have the added benefit of not being able to see it while you are looking through it.

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
I'd be curious as to how much weight it adds compared to a dedicated scope.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Where'd you get the magnifier at? I'm looking to add one to my 300Blk.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
...does it function properly?

·
Registered
17,456 Posts
Shoot it and see how you like it, it might surprise you. If you like the way it shoots you have the added benefit of not being able to see it while you are looking through it.
Like my dad used to say, "It's better to live in a pink house than next door to one".

To me it looks unstable but if it shoots on target go with it. Like race car drivers say, "Paint don't win races"...in other words it doesn't have be pretty to work.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Having been through many different dress-ups on my AR, I say go with it until you decide otherwise.

IMHO, the magnifier would look much better paired with a PA microdot or similar round red dot optic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts