Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winchester Model 70, 7mm Mag, synthetic stock, scope, with 100 rounds of Federal nickel plated ammo in 3 different grains for $400. Good deal?

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. If I had the money, I'd grab it.

·
Super Moderator
14,007 Posts
Uh, yeah, Kev, that's a good deal. Those extra rounds are icing on the cake. If you like it, you have a top-rated Model 70 in a great caliber to add to your stable. If you're not interested in keeping it, you could probably turn it around down the road for a profit, probably next year near the start of hunting season. Either way, you come out ahead.

Humbly submitted by a fellow member of TA.net, also known as Enablers R Us. :D

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, since I really have no particular use for it and prob'ly shouldn't spend the money right now, I don't see where I really have much choice...:dunno:...I pretty much gotta' snag it. :unsure:...I believe all the requirements have been met for a justifiable firearm purchase here. :D

I haven't seen it yet but the seller is a buddy (evolved from customer) and the description/details are definitely intriguing. He got this one and a Remington 700 BDL from his uncle who was a Marine sniper, he setup both rifles. The Winchester has a Nikon scope but he wants to keep that, although he's substituting what sounds like a decent enough Leupold unit to replace it. He stressed the fact that the Winnie also has an extreme hair trigger...:smile:...oughta' be a fun long range gun.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I absolutely despise 7 mag as it has consistently been overkill in the whitetail woods where I grew up. Light loading it a bit would fix that. As a handloader I would buy. As an ammo buyer I would hesitantly pass in search of a more fitting caliber.

That said:

If I were in a mind to chase mulies, elk, or bear then I would buy it for the caliber and load it heavy with bonded bullets.

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I absolutely despise 7 mag as it has consistently been overkill in the whitetail woods where I grew up. Light loading it a bit would fix that. As a handloader I would buy. As an ammo buyer I would hesitantly pass in search of a more fitting caliber.

That said:

If I were in a mind to chase mulies, elk, or bear then I would buy it for the caliber and load it heavy with bonded bullets.
I don't hunt anything anymore, I just shoot for fun.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Winchester Model 70, 7mm Mag, synthetic stock, scope, with 100 rounds of Federal nickel plated ammo in 3 different grains for $400. Good deal?

Give him the money before he sobers up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Go go go!

Reactions: kschilk

·
Administrator
18,413 Posts
Buy it! :smile: Should you ever decide to hunt with it, you'll have more than enough power there to kill anything in the USA, and maybe parts of Africa.

If you don't like it, you should be able to sell it for a good bit more than you're paying for it!

·
23,197 Posts
Well, since I really have no particular use for it and prob'ly shouldn't spend the money right now, I don't see where I really have much choice...:dunno:...I pretty much gotta' snag it.
Yep. The TA bylaws are crystal clear. We await photos.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Well, since I really have no particular use for it and prob'ly shouldn't spend the money right now, I don't see where I really have much choice...:dunno:...I pretty much gotta' snag it. :unsure:...I believe all the requirements have been met for a justifiable firearm purchase here. :D

I haven't seen it yet but the seller is a buddy (evolved from customer) and the description/details are definitely intriguing. He got this one and a Remington 700 BDL from his uncle who was a Marine sniper, he setup both rifles. The Winchester has a Nikon scope but he wants to keep that, although he's substituting what sounds like a decent enough Leupold unit to replace it. He stressed the fact that the Winnie also has an extreme hair trigger...:smile:...oughta' be a fun long range gun.
That trigger sounds like a "trigger job" done wrong. Just be careful it does not just go off by bumping the rifle around.

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. The TA bylaws are crystal clear. We await photos.
Not sure when I'll have it but I suppose it's pretty much a done deal. He's going to bring it by the shop to "show it to me"...:unsure:...which is how we tend to say "deliver" around here, especially when you're talkin' guns, guitars or motorcycles. I told him I'd definitely be interested, "provided I could come up with the cash" but his response was "You're my mechanic, I'm sure we can work somethin' out". All the exits appear to be blocked so if nothin' else...:mellow:...he'll prob'ly be gettin' free parts & labor for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
35,533 Posts
That CAN'T be a M70 classic, likely the cheaper post 64 M70. The new Classics go back to pre-64 specs and I don't think they're offered with a polymer stock, but not sure. STILL a good deal, though. :D

I have a 7 mag I rarely shoot, but it's fun when I get in a mood for recoil and noise. :D It has taken 4 whitetail, a mulie, and a javelina. :D

Reactions: jwc007 and kschilk

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That CAN'T be a M70 classic, likely the cheaper post 64 M70. The new Classics go back to pre-64 specs and I don't think they're offered with a polymer stock, but not sure. STILL a good deal, though. :D

I have a 7 mag I rarely shoot, but it's fun when I get in a mood for recoil and noise. :D It has taken 4 whitetail, a mulie, and a javelina. :D
I figure the ammo alone is close to half the price and the scope oughta' be worth a few bucks too so really, the rifle's comin' out pretty cheap. IIRC and although it wasn't his uncle's preference, he did personally reload some Winchester cases and a few boxes of that will be thrown in too.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Super Moderator
35,533 Posts
If you get dies and start reloading it, RL22 is the best powder I've found. 7 mag is REAL hard to improve upon vs factory velocities. It's loaded pretty hot at the factory, but a consistent powder will reach factory specs and give good accuracy. RL22 does it for me. :D I'm loading a 150 game king in front of that powder.

Reactions: kschilk
1 - 20 of 28 Posts