Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided that, as much as I liked my 85 .38SP, I was going to get more carry time out of a hammer-less (or rather DAO) model - while I was at it, I upgraded to a .357 Mag... so I traded the 85 in on the M650. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, and my digital camera is hiding right now, but as soon as I do the first and find the second, I'll post a quick report and pictures.

What I know right now is that, while the 650 is a bit heavier, the finish is good, action is smooth and is MUCH easier to get out of a pocket holster.

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Nice, nice gun. Not sure I'd want to run 125 gr SJHP's through it constantly, but that gun will end a gunfight pretty quickly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking that 38 +P's may be enough for this gun. Oh, I'll put some 357 down range through it, but I expect that will only confirm me in my opinions.

Frankly, +Ps through the 85's lighter frame was a practical warning about small, light revolvers. I expect the heavier frame on the 650 may make the +Ps more acceptable.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You guys that love those hammerless, hunks of steel! Yeah I know, they are fine guns, but GUNS SHOULD HAVE HAMMERS!!! 605 looks like a great fun.
I know my 6 rd Rossi, is enough heavier, that 357's thru it feel no worse that +p 147 9mm.
But it sure pulls down on my pants. So I use a "hammered" 905, which feels like a feather in comparison. If I did not have it I might consider an 85, or even 850.

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
I could have sworn you had a hammerless 905, Robby.....but some just like being able to pull it out of a pocket with virtually no snag issues. I personally like being able to go single action, but I definitely see a niche for these guns.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm ordering mine in two weeks. Get us a range report though!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got to the range - the gun is accurate and easy to make that way, though it took me a few shots to get used to the rear 'gutter' sight - my first few shots were high because I held too much front sight 'up' in the notch. Once I figured that out, all was well. The trigger was smooth and consistent; easy to take up and clean 'break-over'.

My first 10 shots were 38 Specials, and that was just plain easy. The extra mass of the steel 650 over the aluminum 85 is noticeable, but not uncomfortable in pocket carry. While shooting 38 SP it made for a stable low-felt-recoil platform.

Then I loaded up some 110 gn 357 Mags (Triton/American) and that's when things got interesting.. First shot was so gentle I thought I'd left a 38SP in the cylinder. The next shot was more typical of a robust 357 - lots of muzzle blast and a roar. I then popped the cylinder open and checked the ammo - ALL of them were 357 Mags. Closed the cylinder and fired two more - again, next shot was a gentle bang, followed by a 357 lion's roar and muzzle flash...

Interestingly, a friend of mine was there at the range, and he put 5 357s through it; all of which behaved consistently as *357*. Strange.

So. The gun is fine. I still don't *really* know how it shoots with proper 357 Mag ammo (and I didn't have any 125 gn ammo - the load specified in the manual) but for all my shots, and for all of my friend's shots, the bullets went where we sent them. I'm satisfied. My friend was too.

Now the ammo sucks rocks. This matches what I've discovered about American Ammo's 9mm ammo - it sucks. (With my semi-autos, it often won't even feed into the chamber).

And in case you were counting - that's right - I didn't fire the 5th round - I don't trust this American/Amerc stuff.

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
You know, if you're going to put the name 'America' or 'American' on anything, it should be the cream of the crop - or you get the name taken away.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
First off, I'd have to be desperate to get/use any of the Ameri-crap ammo. I've never heard a good thing about it. Too bad, Triton was a good company (from what I've heard, they pre-date my knowledge base) the first time around. I'd probably shoot that junk up to get it out of the house. I'm not sure if I'd keep the brass or not. If so, I'd segregate it.

Second, I use a blued M650 as my weekend work gun (dress clothes and "unarmed" at work). I use WWB 110gr JHP's for carry. They're a medium velocity load and the recoil isn't bad. I still want to get out and try a couple other medium velocity loads but I haven't found the time.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3169.0

Someday I may shift to a full power load for standard carry but I doubt it. I've talked to too many old guys who shot boomers for many years that have physical issues as a result. Now in a medium frame I'd rather run full power but I don't have the recoil tolerance I used to. Need to get a case or so of full power magnums and start shooting them a box a session. :D

Steelheart

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A follow-up.

Put some more ammo through it yesterday - it's got a sweet trigger and I'm accurate with it. My shooting coach, already a fan of the model, was impressed with the trigger as well. Kudos to Taurus on this one.

... and more on the Triton ammo - I wanted my coach to see just how inconsistent the stuff was - and the Fates favored me this time - EVERY round had a distinctly different report and muzzle flash. We ended up shooting about twenty rounds and the variation was striking. Frankly I found it extremely funny - well, Coach was pretty amused as well. He put six rounds through his Ruger 4" with the same wild variation. EVERYTHING was different from round to round.

The up side: my 650 just didn't give me an unpleasant felt recoil even when the ammo produced a 'full house' blast. I am very pleased with this gun. This 'auto' guy must have a bit of 'wheelie' guy to him.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
NYPD said:
Hey Robby...does your PT111 have a hammer? :D ;D :D ;D :p ;)
Now did I say every gun I have has a hammer :rolleyes:! But a revolver, without a hammer to me, is like??? (I think I better keep this clean!!!) "having a hand with no thumb? :D

But I have been staring a lot at those 809's, that have a hammer!! ;D

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
NYPD said:
Yeah...if they ever are released.
OH yee of little faith!! Would the web site lie, about the release date!!

If I win the lottery, I would love that 809, and 709 to go with my PT111, and 905. Now that would be the NINES!!!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I get the benefit of the no exposed hammer snubbys, but as far as looks goes, I'm with Robby 100%! ;)

IMHO, the 85B2 is the best looking Taurus snub! I had one and carried it for a while way back when.

Congrats on the 650! :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts