Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was planning on getting a full-sized 9mm semi-auto.
But when I went in to a local store, I noticed this blued Taurus M669 in .357 Mag with 6" barrel. It was a fairly old one (made in 1988, according to Taurus Website) with 4 side-plate screws, but 99.5% of bluing remaining with not even a scratch on it. Only area that had any finish wear was underneath the cylinder release thumb-piece, that all.
Even the wood grip had a perfect finish.

The action was tight, and no issue with the timing what so ever. All the chambers lined up with the bore.
And the double-action pull was smoothest I've experienced. To my best recollection, it was better than a S&W M19 I had a while back.

So~, since I figure everyone can enjoy a wheel gun in his collection, I decided to get the Taurus for $225.
I'll take it to a range this weekend, and I hope this revolver shoots as well as it looks.

Now I have a question for you guys.

Can anyone tell me if this M669 is similar to S&W K frame or L frame?
The reason I'm asking is because if it is similar to S&W K frame, then I'm afraid I have to limit the steady diet of HOT magnum like 125gr JHP rounds or heavy full-power load over 160gr. I heard K frame magnum (like M19) had a problem with those rounds.
But those L-frame S&W like 686 had no problem with those rounds.
So if this M669 is more of S&W L frame, then I'd like to experiment with different full-power magnum loads.

Thanks in advance, guys...

Anyway, here are pic of that Taurus!!!
(That faded look on the side-plate is because of lighting. The finish is PERFECT!!! 8), and I applied red paint on the front sight. )

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Congrats on your gun! That is a nice looking gun!

I don't know the answer to your frame question. I'm sure you'll get a good answer soon.

Don

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Sweet looking gun, should be much fun.

My only 357 is a new Rossi, but some guys will come in later.

I am sure that can give you some advice, or at least hassle you to let them have that fine piece.

I would offer myself, but one more gun and the wife is gonna make me leave home.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The main issue with the K frames and full power loads is that there is a flat spot on the underside of the forcing cone (right ahead of the cylinder face). This can crack depending on what loads you are firing and how many you are firing. To my knowledge Taurus guns don't have that issue (no flat spot).

I shoot and not worry about it. Nice gun at a great price by the way, if I'd spotted it I'd have seriously thought about grabbing it to.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Shhhhhhh!! Don't let the cat out of the bag!! The 669 is one of the best values in the Gun Universe. You can often get good deals on them on the auction sites... I have two of them in the 4" barrel variety....Shhhhh!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nice Gun Audix...<:))

·
Administrator
35,423 Posts
With the full length underlug, it looks more like a L frame instead of a K frame. Nice piece.....funny, you went looking for a pistol and walked away with a NICE revolver..... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts