Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it. I've been to two different Academy stores here in the area and a Bass Pro shop near my home but none had the PT 809 in stock. I finally decided I would just go to one store and just order one during my lunch break. So off to this Academy near my office I went. What do I find? They have plenty in stock and on display! Even had a PT 809C. Filled out the paper work and walked out with a brand new PT 809! I'm so stoked!

I didn't buy any ammo because I ran out of time and I don't want to rush, plus I'm a newbie and need to check it out first. I understand the first thing to do is take it apart and clean it. I'll need to get some cleaning supplies for that. Tonight I'll spend some time handling the weapon (unloaded) just getting the feel of it. I know not to "dry fire" it too much.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats on your new 809!! You will love it. Yeah just make you strip it down and clean it well. As far as target ammo I have shooting WWB and Federal with out any problems at all. You will truly love the way it feels in your hand and shoots. Good luck!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll pick a box of WWB to start off with when I do buy some. I'm curious about the 124 and 147 grain ammo available in 9mm. I guess it's for those who want a bit more "punch".

·
Registered
703 Posts
Congratulations with your purchase! I own an 809 too and I love it!

I understand that the 9 mm cartridge was designed around the 124 gr. projectile. The advantage of the 115 gr. bullets was more speed (penetration); 147 gr. projectiles were supposed to be more effective due to their greater weight, though that is debatable. Most of the max loads I have in Lee 2nd for 147 gr. FMJs have speeds of less than 1000 fps.

I think that bullet weight has a small influence on the perceived recoil. When you use a heavier bullet, you usually use less powder for the same overall length to make sure your pressure remains manageable with the decreased case volume. My wife finds commercial 124 gr. cartridges more gently recoiling than 115 gr. cartridges, for example.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Useful information. I did wonder about the different grain counts and if they really made a difference. I'll stick with the basic 115 and go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without a doubt I will be doing some shopping at Walmart! I like to save money like the next guy no question. I'll check online as well. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Congrats on your 809! Got one and I love the weapon!

Reactions: dbkfrog

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Congrats on your new 809! I love mine and have put hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it in the 10 months I've owned it. I've shot WWB, Federal, Remington and Selliar & Bellot. Recently I've been shooting ammo I purchased in bulk from Freedom Munitions (Ammunition Online at Factory Direct Prices | Freedom Munitions) and have have been very happy with the accuracy and pricing. The only brand my 809 hasn't really cared for is the S&B.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I finally did it. I've been to two different Academy stores here in the area and a Bass Pro shop near my home but none had the PT 809 in stock. I finally decided I would just go to one store and just order one during my lunch break. So off to this Academy near my office I went. What do I find? They have plenty in stock and on display! Even had a PT 809C. Filled out the paper work and walked out with a brand new PT 809! I'm so stoked!

I didn't buy any ammo because I ran out of time and I don't want to rush, plus I'm a newbie and need to check it out first. I understand the first thing to do is take it apart and clean it. I'll need to get some cleaning supplies for that. Tonight I'll spend some time handling the weapon (unloaded) just getting the feel of it. I know not to "dry fire" it too much.

Any other suggestions?
Congrats! And Welcome aboard. Already good points covered, so I'll back you up to your line " I know not to "dry fire" it too much. " Most modern guns say they are OK to dry fire, but I suggest you get snap caps anyway. If the trigger in the 809 is anything like in the G2s, you'll need the extra trigger pulls to get it smooth without burning through hundreds of rounds of ammo. Please keep us posted, and pics are always appreciated. :D Happy Shootin' and Be Safe. :guns:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Snaps caps" eh... Never heard of that before. I do need to get used to the trigger. I was speaking with a GLOCK rep at a recent event (Tactical Firearms, Katy, TX) and he was testing me out on a 17 and then their red practice pistol. How to grip it, different stances, etc. I was a little unsteady and realized then that I needed to practice with whatever gun bought and get used to the trigger.

I'll try and keep ya'll posted on my progress and I will be taking photos. That's one of my other activities. I use a Pentax K10D DSLR with three auto focus lenses and a bunch of screw mount lenses.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Snap caps:

Amazon.com: A-Zoom 9Mm Luger Precision Snap Caps (5 Pack): Sports & OutdoorsSome swear by it. I balked at the price - 5 rounds for what 50 rounds of ammo cost. They're useful for diagnosing flinching issues (mix them into your magazine at the range without looking), and for practicing a consistent trigger squeeze. Also nice for checking the function of your firearm (that it feeds, extracts, and ejects properly).

I respect Zylo's point, but I think the trigger on the PT809 is quite fine, and doesn't need much breaking in as-is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Grats on your new gun! As for ammo. I would go with quality ammo first. Around 500 rounds should be enough. My reasoning here is simple. If you know that the bullet is of good quality and very reliable, any failures will rule out bad ammo. This helps with the break-in and identifying the failure if any. Personally i would do 1000 rounds first before considering it fully broken-in and carry ready.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grats on your new gun! As for ammo. I would go with quality ammo first.
What ammo would you recommend as "quality"? Is price the way to judge or perhaps the grain? Manufacturer? Federal and Winchester offer budget ammo but I'm sure they have top tier ammo as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would go with manufacturer rather than price. Im not sure what good brands are available to you since I have a very very limited selection here in my country. I usually go with a single brand and run that till the end of the break in. Then i will start using differnt brands of ammo. Since i know that the gun is now 100% if there is a failure it will most likely be ammo related.

I suggest that you ask people in your firing range what specific brands they use and how reliable they are.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here in the US, and Texas in particular, we have plenty of ammo from all kinds of manufacturers. There are even some I've never heard of! So I just picked up a box of good old trusty Winchester White Box. Not their top level ammo but they are a reliable manufacturer that plenty of people use so I should be OK.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Here in the US, and Texas in particular, we have plenty of ammo from all kinds of manufacturers. There are even some I've never heard of! So I just picked up a box of good old trusty Winchester White Box. Not their top level ammo but they are a reliable manufacturer that plenty of people use so I should be OK.
YEP. During the break in, you should be fine with WWB, and probably cheapest and easiest to get at Wally World. After you're break in, try a couple different types of JHP. I've never had a problem with Hornady, or Federal Hyrdra Shock. Some folks say stick with just one, but I like to have options due to sale price, availability etc. I have the G2, not 809, but those here don't seem to be having any ammo issues, that I've seen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts