Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first Taurus today, A TCP, PT738. I Like the feel. Looking forward to using the forums. Im a bit concerned as the first time I tried to chamber a round it did not easily load. I broke it down to get to know it a bit after that. Still having a hard time getting it to smoothly chamber a round when racking the slide. Hoping its part of the breaking in process.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from South Tulsa. Hope you gave it a good cleaning, getting out all the packing grease/gunk.

Come to think about it, you should be able to at least get a round chambered.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Welcome aboard. I wouldn't get too concerned about the chambering when you rack the slide, at least not just yet. There is a chance that you are not letting the slide completely and freely move forward. Your main concern is does it chamber the round properly when actually shooting. That has to happen right 100% of the time.

Break that gun down again, including the mags, and clean the doody out of it! The Taurus packing grease can prevent things from working properly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just because it's a little again don't be gentle with the same thing happens to me sometimes when I pull the slide back and just release it. Pull it back and push it forward with a Lil force. Mine has over 350 rounds trouble free through it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies and welcomes! I will definitely break it down and give it an extra good cleaning. Looking forward to getting it out and getting it dirty at the range. What Ive seen so far tells me not to be too worried yet. Im pretty sure once I run some rounds through it should loosen up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Oklahoma!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Bought my first Taurus today, A TCP, PT738. I Like the feel. Looking forward to using the forums. Im a bit concerned as the first time I tried to chamber a round it did not easily load. I broke it down to get to know it a bit after that. Still having a hard time getting it to smoothly chamber a round when racking the slide. Hoping its part of the breaking in process.
Hello and welcome.

You'll get different opinions about this practice and I'll give you mine. Just remember that my view doesn't make someone wrong who looks at it from another angle.

I never rack the slide by hand. I was taught by the Marine Corps many years ago to use the slide release for this. It's made for that and only that. IMO (In My Opinion) racking a slide by hand can never be as efficient or as forceful as thumbing the slide release.

Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Welcome from northern Michigan!.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was taught to practice the same racking technique as "marinevietvet197" and most recently was brought up again at a ccw class i just took.

I found this youtube video discussing a similar if not the same issue maybe it will help

Good luck!

Reactions: Domerskee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I gave it a cleaning and worked the technique described by marinevietvet197 and it loaded smoothly but still had problems when I cycled by hand. I did the slight mod to the mag described in the video linked by hitthemhard and it looks like we are in business. Next up, finding some range time.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses & counting!

·
Administrator
40,259 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Welcome Indy from little ole New Hampshire, am sure you'll break her in!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Welcome from central Hellaware.. Clean the packing grease from the gun.. Enjoy.. :)

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts