Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stopped by one of my local gun shops on the way back from the range yesterday just to say hello and see what ammo they had. I ended up buying a nice Mosin Nagant (with baynet & cleaning kit) plus a huge unopened tin (with huge can opener) of 440 7.62 x 54 Russian ammo for about $320 total. I don't know if I paid $50 too much but so what cause from what I'm seeing on line and hearing from my shooting buddies into SKS and AK-47s, Mosins are getting a stronger cool factor these days. It should be fun shooting but now I only wish I had a 500 yard range to use it for what it was meant for.

Update 6/16/2013

WOW! I'm in love with this Mosin after I cleaned it and shot 40 rounds of the Bulgarian (plant 10 made in 72) LPS (light ball 147 grain) through it. Thankfully, the owner of the shop I bought it from was so generous to give me a used butt pad for free which made for easy recoil. I'm amazed at how well built and sophisticated the Mosin is in its simple design, especially the bolt assembly. The Mosin is a fantastic weapon!

Thanks to everybody for your positive replies!

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Mosins rock. I got mine at Fleet Farm 2 years ago and I love it. That spam can ammo can be pretty stout stuff but the rifle is very accurate. Congrats to you.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Have fun with it, I can only shoot mine 50 yards, I would love to shoot 500 yards. Don't forget that surplus ammo is corrosive. I run a few patches soaked in glass cleaner down mine at the range when done shooting it and then clean as normal when i get home.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the great replies and info on prompt cleaning the Mosin. I thought it might be the ammonia in Windex that neutralizes the corrosive residue from surplus ammo. But I've just watched a YouTube video and read a few articles saying to use just water to clean out the corrosive crap followed by WD-40 or Gunscrubber to dispel the water then lube it. In case you Mosin owners have not seen it, here's a great site devoted to Mosins:

http://7.62x54r.net/

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I remember the good ole days when Mosin's were like 50 bucks.
Heck I remember when you could get a full wooden case(2 sardine cans) of ammo with a can opener for $140 plus shipping.. Those were the days of old my friends. I think the kingdom is in trouble fellow surfs..:)

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
Congrats on the MN. I had all but gotten rid of mine, except for my 91/59. The last 91/30 I had, I sold for $100, and almost doubled my money. The last few months I'd noticed the prices on them going up, so I figured I better get another, just to have. Spent $130 to get one, and it wasn't in the best of condition when I got it. Did some work on it, cleaned it up and had it out to the range with my grandson.

Gun Sport venue Shooting sport Shooting range Shooting

Still have plenty of ammo, but I guess I'll have to stock up on that too.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I stopped by one of my local gun shops on the way back from the range yesterday just to say hello and see what ammo they had. I ended up buying a nice Mosin Nagant (with baynet & cleaning kit) plus a huge unopened tin (with huge can opener) of 440 7.62 x 54 Russian ammo for about $320 total. I don't know if I paid $50 too much but so what cause from what I'm seeing on line and hearing from my shooting buddies into SKS and AK-47s, Mosins are getting a stronger cool factor these days. It should be fun shooting but now I only wish I had a 500 yard range to use it for what it was meant for.
Killing Germans?

Reactions: Lost_In_VT

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't mean to get you down, but you did over pay. The good news is that you won't really care after shooting it a few times.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
14,246 Posts
It's bad enough that I've been fighting 1911 fever for several months. Now you're telling that Mosin Nagant fever is contagious, too? That's just great...

·
Registered
103 Posts
M-N's are like crack. Next thing you know you'll have a c&r license and be trying to track down every known variant. A little advice from a former addict:
1. Find a 91/59
2. Find a Finnish m39
3. If you ever find any of the (I think) Czech plastic tipped ammo, buy all you can get.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the warnings but it's getting even worse for me now cause I've turned into a Mosin pusher by getting a buddy of mine to buy one! He's even willing to give me his Glock as collateral for me to lend him some cash to buy it. I told him I can't take it cause the withdrawal would be hell for him being such a Glock-a-holic. I may need to join Mosins Anonymous which I think meets right after the Glock-a-holics group my buddy joined.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts