Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Just Bought a RAS47 (Century Arms AK47)

5K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  TexasAviator 
#1 ·
I have wanted something new and fun for a while in the firearms arena so ... bored when traveling this week I poked around online. I came across a local shop who has a companion web business, they had the Century Arms RAS47 on sale. I am not a big fan of buying guns online, when I buy a gun it is all about instant gratification, I hate waiting for shipping :D :D :D. So I told myself if they have one in the store I'd pick one up. It turns out they had a couple so I grabbed one.

They do differ from a "standard" or rather what people think of as "standard" Ak47's. There is no bayonet lug, the cleaning rod isn't in the stock, the mag release is a bit bigger, the grip is grooved, and the selector has a notch which holds the bolt open, I might be missing some other thngs. But for the most part she is true to the design. You can swap parts with spec AK's for the most part. I can change the furniture from the black polymer to wood if/when I want and any spec AK furniture will work.

My first impression is she seems to be manufactured well. Solid. No rattles. No burs that I have seen in a standard field strip. The furniture finish could have used a bit more attention to detail but for what I paid for her and what I plan on using her for (Range fun, maybe hogs) that isnt an issue for me. Overall I am very pleased.

I have not shot her and it will be a while before I have a chance to.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

Does anyone have experience with them here? What do yall think of yours?

See less See more
#4 ·
Haven't shot her yet, I probably won't be able to for a while, my weekends are pretty booked in the near term.

That and the fact that the spouse type person doesn't quite know about it, and she won't... so I have to find the right weekend! :D :D :D

#6 · (Edited)
We sold a lot of them though the shop I worked at and never had an issue with any of them. I've shot the wooden stock version and was surprised at how easy it was to clear some steel plates at 100 yds. Definitely some serious hog medicine.

Reactions: TexasAviator
#11 ·
I love the fanboys :D They are usually good for a laugh. Its fun to get them going with the milled vs stamped receiver argument too. :D

I'm a 1911 guy and a Taurus PT 1911 is as much a 1911 as a Colt or a Kimber etc. Same basic design its just been tweaked , Just like the AK, AR and lots of others.

I'm glad to hear yours is still running strong! I can't wait to get mine out!

#13 ·
Nice pickup - let us know how it shoots. Probably better you went with the RAS version. Their is some recent chatter regarding the C39V2 version and possible cracking receiver on the right side up by the breech. Not enough chatter to convince me one way or the other. But it is from a few reputable folks..who knows! Enjoy.

#16 ·
Yeah, the military arms channel on youtube has some torture testing of that C39v2. Is that some of the chatter you are referring to? Entertaining stuff on that channel. Wish he would of torture tested the RAP that he did an initial review on. Of course no Taurus torture tests either.

#19 ·
I saw the review before i bought it. It was actually one of the reasons I went with the RAS. I figured if that rifle survived what they did to it, it would more than be perfect for my requirements. I actually thought it was a great selling point for the rifle and a rather positive review. But then I am known for taking what people say differently than they intend :D

#21 ·
We need to go shoot her then grab a beer after TTG!

Reactions: texastaurusguy
#23 ·
Knowing I would be very near an outdoor range with a 100 yard range I tossed the RAS47 in the pickup and took her shooting.

I know some of the fan boys would jump on this if i was posting on a different site, but I would have to tell them they were right... On the first outing I did have an issue, two actually, within the first three rounds!

It seems the idiot that tossed the rifle in the pickup forgot to grab his AK front sight adjustment tool. She needs just a hair of an adjustment to her windage, she shoots slightly to the right. Elevation is spot on. The second issue was just as bad, the same idiot also forgot to grab the binoculars, all I had was a monocular which is great at 50 yards for seeing holes in targets, but is not so good at 100! :D :D :D

The rifle functioned flawlessly through her first 200 rounds. Using some Kentucky windage and aiming ever so slightly to the left she was bang on. (Still kicking myself for forgetting the tool, at least it's an excuse to take her out again! :D )

I stripped her and cleaned her when I got home and didn't see any wear other than what one would expect on a new rifle as everything sets in.

I could not be more happy with this rifle!

#24 ·
Another flawless 100 rounds. This time I remembered the sight adjustment tool. She has great grouping. The only thing that really need work is the rifleman now! :D

#25 ·
Oh, man, I'd HAVE to have the bayonet lug. I won a bayonet at the first Sand Lake get together. :rofl:

Looks clean without that bayonet lug. I have one SKS I cut the lug off of. All it served to do is grab brush when I was hunting with it in the woods. I sorta prefer the look, really, even thought it's a lot less military.

#26 ·
Yeah the bayonet lug just would have added weight and issues for me. I would love to use her as a brush rifle for hogs and such... we do have some squirrels that make noise on the roof and get annoying but the wife says she doesn't want me shooting at the house, then mentioned something about discharging firearms in the city limits or something. :D :D :D

She shoots great, I have a few hundred rounds through her. Her grouping is tight, I did have to move the front post pretty far to the left from a windage perspective, but she shoots great! The downside was I had to do some math and guesswork, well more guesswork because I hate math, :D since all I had was a 100 yard range and the elevation is in meters. It might not be spot on but its good enough for government work! :D

#33 ·
I think mostly why I prefer the SKS to the AK is the safety. It's just right there at your finger tips on the SKS. The AK requires 30 minutes while you look, pick your hand up off the gun to flip it off (harder to do left handed) and all that garbage. By the time you get the safety off, the deer or hog done took off.

None of which matters if all you're doing is shooting targets. :D

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee
#34 ·
I disagree, maybe I just have big hands but the safety comes right off on the AK for me. :D (I hope she brings home the bacon soon, I am trying to get to a friends place and help him with his hog problem. :D )

#35 ·
Very nice OP! I have the version with the Maple furniture. I have had two WASR's, and one M70AB2 underfolder in the past, and although they were "ok" in the accuracy department, this RAS of mine is way more accurate. I was able to shoot 1" groups at 50 yards, right out of the box....for an AK, that is pretty good.

#38 ·
Congrats on the new AK - there is a lot to like about them.

I have a WASR 10 myself...honestly - I prefer shooting it over my AR and it is way easier to clean as well. Full disclosure - I love my AR - just saying the AK platform is pretty doggone solid once you get to know it.

Check out AK Operators Union (AKOU) on youtube - lots of great info on AKs in general plus specific model torture tests etc

#42 · (Edited)
Century sells both. RAS47 is 100% new parts and made in Vermont. The WASR is assembled here mostly with parts from Romania. The WASR's I have seen have bayonet lugs and the cleaning rod where as the RAS47 doesn't. If memory serves the WASR's I have seen dont have a notch for the bolt on the selector (it's nice if you are at a range that requires the bolt to be open) and I think the mag release is standard as opposed to the larger "T" shaped one on the RAS47. I'm probably missing somethings but those were the big one in my opinion when I was shopping. Also I believe older (1990's era) ban WASR's could only accept 10rnd specific magazines, where as those built by Century after dont.

What it came down to my decision, the differences were not a big deal one way or the other and I got a great deal on the RAS47. So basically price for me. :D

I don't think you could go wrong either way in my opinion.

#44 ·
The RAS47 gets a bad rap, due to the fact that the front Trunion is made of a heat treated casting, instead of a forging. Is a forging better? Probably a little tougher, but if a heat treat is done properly, then the part should hold up fine....there are other things that people don't like about the Century AK, but mine works well, and that's all that matters to me.

#45 ·
Lots of people don't like "newer" technologies. It always used X so it always should. "Plastic" pistols encountered alot of the same argument. Pistols were always all mostly metal. Now look at polymer pistols, ite getting harder to find all metal ones! :D . MIM was the same way, you hear less and less noise about that.

#49 ·
I grabbed one with maple furniture too several months ago.

Gonna leave off on glassing it for now. My AR wears the scope in the family.

Attachments

#50 ·
Very nice Daytona!

I'm probably going to get wood furniture at some point as well, just to change it out every now and then. Kind of like grips on a 1911. :D

Though I think my first accessory will be a drum magazine. Being semi auto it really isn't a smart purchase in my opinion, its totally for fun. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.