Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted something new and fun for a while in the firearms arena so ... bored when traveling this week I poked around online. I came across a local shop who has a companion web business, they had the Century Arms RAS47 on sale. I am not a big fan of buying guns online, when I buy a gun it is all about instant gratification, I hate waiting for shipping :D :D :D. So I told myself if they have one in the store I'd pick one up. It turns out they had a couple so I grabbed one.

They do differ from a "standard" or rather what people think of as "standard" Ak47's. There is no bayonet lug, the cleaning rod isn't in the stock, the mag release is a bit bigger, the grip is grooved, and the selector has a notch which holds the bolt open, I might be missing some other thngs. But for the most part she is true to the design. You can swap parts with spec AK's for the most part. I can change the furniture from the black polymer to wood if/when I want and any spec AK furniture will work.

My first impression is she seems to be manufactured well. Solid. No rattles. No burs that I have seen in a standard field strip. The furniture finish could have used a bit more attention to detail but for what I paid for her and what I plan on using her for (Range fun, maybe hogs) that isnt an issue for me. Overall I am very pleased.

I have not shot her and it will be a while before I have a chance to.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

Does anyone have experience with them here? What do yall think of yours?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Very nice. I'm jealous. I don't have one yet, but need to get one. I have a few AK's, but not RAS. I need one. Have you shot it yet?My Yugo/Zaastava AK's have BHO, too, if you have the right magazines with the follower that holds it open. It's a nice addition to the AK design.

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. I'm jealous. I don't have one yet, but need to get one. I have a few AK's, but not RAS. I need one. Have you shot it yet?My Yugo/Zaastava AK's have BHO, too, if you have the right magazines with the follower that holds it open. It's a nice addition to the AK design.
Haven't shot her yet, I probably won't be able to for a while, my weekends are pretty booked in the near term.

That and the fact that the spouse type person doesn't quite know about it, and she won't... so I have to find the right weekend! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Haven't shot her yet, I probably won't be able to for a while, my weekends are pretty booked in the near term.

That and the fact that the spouse type person doesn't quite know about it, and she won't... so I have to find the right weekend! :D :D :D
LOL, yeah, I have some of those. Many, in fact. The cool thing is when you have enough of them that she doesn't notice a new one, you can just buy them and add 'em to the safe. They all look the same to her! ;)

Anyway, good luck with it. It seems we all don't get out shooting as often as we'd like.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
We sold a lot of them though the shop I worked at and never had an issue with any of them. I've shot the wooden stock version and was surprised at how easy it was to clear some steel plates at 100 yds. Definitely some serious hog medicine.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
First I will say, don't believe what the AK Fan boys say. I have this same rifle with about 2600 rounds through it... normal wear, everything is perfect. I might add, it's the most accurate AK that I've ever fired. I love it... enjoy it!

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First I will say, don't believe what the AK Fan boys say. I have this same rifle with about 2600 rounds through it... normal wear, everything is perfect. I might add, it's the most accurate AK that I've ever fired. I love it... enjoy it!
I love the fanboys :D They are usually good for a laugh. Its fun to get them going with the milled vs stamped receiver argument too. :D

I'm a 1911 guy and a Taurus PT 1911 is as much a 1911 as a Colt or a Kimber etc. Same basic design its just been tweaked , Just like the AK, AR and lots of others.

I'm glad to hear yours is still running strong! I can't wait to get mine out!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

I've done the same thing countless times. :)

Congratulations, that is one nifty rifle.

·
9,541 Posts
Nice pickup - let us know how it shoots. Probably better you went with the RAS version. Their is some recent chatter regarding the C39V2 version and possible cracking receiver on the right side up by the breech. Not enough chatter to convince me one way or the other. But it is from a few reputable folks..who knows! Enjoy.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Nice pickup - let us know how it shoots. Probably better you went with the RAS version. Their is some recent chatter regarding the C39V2 version and possible cracking receiver on the right side up by the breech. Not enough chatter to convince me one way or the other. But it is from a few reputable folks..who knows! Enjoy.
Yeah, the military arms channel on youtube has some torture testing of that C39v2. Is that some of the chatter you are referring to? Entertaining stuff on that channel. Wish he would of torture tested the RAP that he did an initial review on. Of course no Taurus torture tests either.

·
9,541 Posts
Yeah, the military arms channel on youtube has some torture testing of that C39v2. Is that some of the chatter you are referring to? Entertaining stuff on that channel. Wish he would of torture tested the RAP that he did an initial review on. Of course no Taurus torture tests either.
Yes the review from MAC was one of the chatter sources. Tim tends to move on instead of doing follow up's, kinda frustrating.

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The RAS is one to avoid. If you got a good one, that's good, but I'd invest in some no go gauges. Check out AK operator's union on YouTube. Great info from some good AK guys.
I saw the review before i bought it. It was actually one of the reasons I went with the RAS. I figured if that rifle survived what they did to it, it would more than be perfect for my requirements. I actually thought it was a great selling point for the rifle and a rather positive review. But then I am known for taking what people say differently than they intend :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.