Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but visited it many times in my quest for my first hand gun. Up until this past Saturday i narrowed my choices down to the PT 111 and the Glock 26. My first stop on my shopping journey lead me to a brand new gun shop that just opened up in my town about a week ago and they had nothing on their shelves but about 6 or seven used guns. I told him i was in the market for a PT 111 or a glock 26 but said i really needed to hold one before i could make a decision so he told me to go to bass pro shops and check them out then come back to him and he would order which ever i wanted at the best price in town. He quoted me for $375 for the PT 111 and $499 for the glock. I thought those were some good prices so i told him i'd be back. So on to Bass Pro and as soon as i held the PT 111 i fell in love with it . Fit my hand perfectly and was the perfect size as i wanted it for my CCW. I did not like the Glock at all. It was just totally uncomfortable in my hand. So i now had my mind set on the PT111. I have been doing a lot of research on this weapon and from what i read i felt good with my choice. I decided to check out one more gun shop before i ordered my PT 111 and to my suprise this guy had not only the PT 111ss but the PT 140ss as well for just $299. Now i had a hard choice again. I finally decided on the PT 140 because of the stopping power of the .40 Cal. The problem is i did'nt do a lot of research on this gun. Then i go online a start seeing all kind of bad stuff about this gun and now i'm thinking maybe i should have stuck with the 9mm. I have not shot this gun yet but will be very soon. Just wondering what some guy's think about this PT 140. Any feed back is much appreciated and i'm sorry for the long post. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the PT140. IMO, the three pistols PT111, PT140 and PT145 are excellent handguns so just get the one in the caliber you like best.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Hello from Piqua Ohio. I have a PT111 and it is my carry, but it's sisters the 145 and 140 are every bit as good. Just an FYI try to feed it about 500 rounds total of various types of ammo so you can find out what it likes and break it in. Also clean it before and after your range visits. Take good care of it and the Mil Pro will thake good care of you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's the best cleaning product to use to clean all the factory gunk out before shooting it?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

Whatever makes you happy is the one you should have bought....

A lady asked of a MSP one day, why do you carry a .45? His answer was; because they don't make a .46....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
What's the best cleaning product to use to clean all the factory gunk out before shooting it?
Different strokes for different folks ... some use WD-40 spray, some use CLP or RemOil sprayed on the parts, some use engine degreaser (on heavy cosmolene such as what the Mosin-Nagant's are packed with), some use Simple Green.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the pt111 and love it I am eyeing a pt145 . I belive any pistol in this family is a no brainer. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As far as whether or not you made the right choice, to me it depends on how much experience you've got. There's not a thing in the world wrong with a PT140, but the 40 S&W itself can be a handful in a small pistol. Of the three models (111, 140, and 145) I think you'll find the 40 has the hardest recoil of the bunch, so hang on tight.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would choose the 140 over the 111 for the simple reason of bigger/deeper hole.
I use a BoreSnake and Hoppes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome from NE Alabama. I have a PT 140SS and it is my first handgun and I put 200 rounds through it at the range without a problem. Cleaning products that I have used is Hoppe's #9 , M-Pro 7,and Break Free CLP. Good luck with your new gun.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I use Break Free Powder Blast and Ballistol.

·
Administrator
40,176 Posts
You can't go wrong, with any Millennium series pistol. My personal favorite is the PT145. :thumb:

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow guy's, Thanks alot for your reply's!!! You really put my mind at ease. Nice to know i found a forum with great people and even better knowledge. Like i said before this is my first hand gun but i have shot before. Shotgun's and 9mm mostly. I'm a pretty big guy so i'm not so worried about the recoil. Although i know it's somthing i will have to get used to since i have never shot a .40 cal before.When i got my gun i was prepared for it being covered in cosmoline from browsing this sight, so i also bought a gun cleaning kit with it. Figured i was gonna need one anyway. I got the outers pistol cleaning kit and the nitro solvent it came with cleaned that stuff off really nice. Then i oiled it up with the oil it came with. Not sure if you can buy the solvent by itself without buying the whole kit but i wouldn't see why not.

Thanks again guys for your input and reply's. I hope some day I can be as helpful as you guy's were to me. I know i'm gonna sleep better tonight, so that deserves an BIG THANKS from me. I'll report back when i get some rounds throught his bad dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the PT140 and the 24/7 40, love them both. The PT140 is my carry gun and the 24/7 is my home gun. Have almost 1000 rounds through each and no issues and would not trade them for the other models. The wife carries the PT111. My son carries an FN in 40, so you could say we like the caliber. Congrats and have fun shooting!

·
Registered
51 Posts
the forty is just fine, i have a nine, but i want the forty-five next.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My opinion is that you can't go wrong with either the PT111 or the PT140.

The Millennium Pro line of pistols has been around a while and have proven themselves, time and again, to be durable and reliable handguns.

Congrats on your new 140!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Nearly the speed and capacity of a 9mm, but almost the stopping power of a .45. I don't think you went wrong with the 140 at all.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Good choice on the PT140. The .40 S&W is my favorite pistol chambering. So much so that I purchased a 405 when they first came out. Now I just need to add a .40 pistol to the collection (traded my Stoeger 8040F for my 405)! :D

·
32,659 Posts
The PT140 is a favorite reliable gun here.

Before we changed software formats there was a huge PT140 following. When we changed we lost a few people, but the PT140 is still considered a excellent gun by those who have them.

I have two... or will have two PT111 Mil Pros in a few days. The one I have already is a great carry piece.

So are the other Millennium Pro pistols.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts