Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new 9mm 905 SS revolver and must say it is every bit as nice as my S&W J frame .38 Specials. My question is do you need to use the moon clips? All I see they do is help get the shells out of the cylinder in a held together group. I've yet to fire it , but I'm assuming the tapered shells would want to fall out of the cylinder and not need a push like regular straight shelled ammo. thanks, rj

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Congrats....Robby, an active member here, also has a 905. I'm sure he'll be along to give you his input.

BTW---where did you find a new 905?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Yeah, what Rogertc1 said! I have 5 sets on order from Taurus!

I have heard from several people you can use the gun without the stellar clips. I have not tried it yet. I did load some rds to see if they stayed the same distance in the cylinder (they did hold there due to the chamber being cut in the cylinders. So I would bet like I was told they fire and drop out OK. If not a pencil or short cleaning rod would clear them.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
It will fire without the clips, but you'll have to punch the empties out iwth a pencil or something. There is a little ridge inside the chambers for the case to headspace on, no problem. I had a 1917 Smith and Wesson old war horse that chambered .45ACP in the same way. I wouldn't mind having a 9mm revolver snubbie. +P 9 has more horsepower than any available .38 special. Sorta splits the difference in .357 full power loads and .38s and yet it's quite easy on recoil and much less muzzle blast than a magnum or even most +P .38s. The old .45 revolver didn't offer much for its size and weight. The little 9s make decent carry guns.

·
Registered
384 Posts
NYPD said:
Congrats....Robby, an active member here, also has a 905. I'm sure he'll be along to give you his input.

BTW---where did you find a new 905?
NYPD, A few new ones seem to be popping up for sale. Davidson's has a couple last week but they went away fast. If you are looking for one here's a place that still has a few left.

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G2905021

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Thanks....I prefer ordering through Davidsons only because they have the lifetime replacement guarantee. I'll just wait till they get more in stock.

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
Gunbroaker is $399 stainless and $359. Blue plus $25 shipping and what ever your FFL charges you and tax.
Found my barely used Stainless for $350. Hard to find nowdays since most PD use .40

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a "like new" 905 a few weeks ago as an impulse purchase. Found that Taurus moon clips were difficult or impossible to find. I ordered some of the S&W moon clips. I found that the center hole in the clips was a hair too small but I fixed that with a Dremel - just took off a tiny amount from the little humps in the center hole.

Next problem was that the S&W moon clips are too thick. When the loaded S&W clips are in place, the cylinder won't turn freely. I thought about trying to sand them down to make them thinner but I decided that was too much trouble. I put the 905 up for consignment sale at a local dealer. If it sells for my asking price, I'll only be out a few bucks. I already have a bunch of S&W snubbies that meet my needs. So much for impulse purchases.

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
Interesting my Ranch S&W/Ruger clips work just fine in my stainless 905. A few take a positive snap over the star but they work. Plenty of room.

·
15,931 Posts
OK!! Just today, MidwayUSA notified me that the Taurus Stellar Clips for the 905 are in stock. They seem to be limiting purchase to one set. I ordered a set of the Taurus ones, and a set of the Ruger ones to try also.

I thought those that have the 905 would be interested. (I ordered mine before I posted, so you guys would not buy them all up.) :rolleyes: I even got special pricing due to my birthday being next week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to use the full moon clips in my 905 or the cases would get stuck after about 20 rounds of not using the clips. Also, if you use blazer aluminum rounds, they expand and will get a little stuck without the clips. The slick sided Hornady TAP ammo worked best for me. Have fun!

·
15,931 Posts
Over the last few weeks, from Midway and Buds I managed to obtain 4 spare sets of moon clips. When I opened the packages, some of them contained 6 clips not 5 as the package stated. So I am good on clips for a while, I hope. If Taurus ships the ones I ordered direct, I will have 10 set, and might put a couple up to sell for those interested at the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts