Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a sporterized Lee-Enfield in 303 British to use on my quest to kill ditch rats this coming deer season...

While cleaning/fondling/getting to know the new lady, I notice the extractor's not working properly. A close examination notes a missing extractor spring.

I'm not sure which variant of the Lee-Enfield rifles this is based on. I see plenty of crown markings, the numbers on the rifle parts match, can anyone tell me how to identify the variant that this is based upon?

I paid $315 OTD. It's got $200 of glass on it. I'm VERY happy. She could use a little cold blue love and a new screw here or there, but otherwise is in great shape. The stock, in particular, is gorgeous. The bore is bright from what I can tell. I can't wait to go shoot her.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you can post a picture it will help, especially one of the action and the sights if any. Also it should say on the left side of the action what version you have. And most Enfields that were imported have importer marks electrostenciled on the gun somewhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The scope mount covers the area on the left side of the receiver that identifies the rifle. Think it'd be ok to remove?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the scope off after perusing things and seeing it was a tad off anyway- it was some homefabbed jobbie and out of kilter. I will fab a new one out of angle iron and change to flatbase Weaver rings for the scope.

Meantime, she's a Mk4No1. So, I'm on the track to finding that extractor spring and going to the range...

EDIT: sorry, No4, Mk1....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A mk4 is a preaty decent model, I would advise if its a sporterized one that you or a gunsmith check the headspace to make sure its still in spec before you order an extractor spring, because if the headspace is off you can swap out the bolt head with a bigger or smaller bolt head to correct it and order it the same time. Numerich has just about everything you need. I have a no 4 mk3 enfield and that is my deer gun as well, but I don't have any optics on it just the excellent peep sight that it was issues with it, but it's not cut down. Also I had to correct the headspace as well on mine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
already have the headspace go/nogo gauges in my wishlist from Midway.

What ammo are you using for hunting? I'd stick with the factory sites, but they aren't there anymore. There's a Williams rear peep setup, and it came with the optic, so I'd like to use it.

Looking at grabbing a Winchester levergun for ironsight hunting.....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I got some remington corlokt ammo in .303 that I use for the deer gun. Bassically it's a jacketed soft point that will mushroom on impact. That williams peep sight is probably the best sight for hunting without a scope. It's possible to hit em on dead run with a peep sight if you practice with it and know how to dial distance in. If you want to spend some money there is a couple of outfits that sell the copy of the the sniper scope mount that will put the scope above the peep sight so you can use both as well. but I only paid a $100 even for the rifle and I had to order the good peep sight for it because mine was mark 3 and in an effort to simply manufacture they did away with the adjustable sight for a two setting sight, one for fifty meters and one for five hundred so they could crank the rifles out faster and outgun the germans.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a link to that scope mount?

I was just gonna fab one from angle iron, using the existing holes from the sporterizing.

The way it's mounted now- and will end up mounted again- I can use the iron sites or the telescope. I like that ability. Plus, with the scope I get a last-glance chance to check my target and make sure the deer is a deer, not some guy taking a leak.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Head over to surplusrifles.com and click on the links to the no4 enfield tab and you will be pointed towards a cornocopia of products my friend, they will have a how to install and everything, the sky is endless. But if you go that route be prepared to spend about a hundred more for the scope mount. Also IMA and SARCO both have tons of old enfield stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts