Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a brand new pt709 for my wife, I picked it up today and i want to make sure I don't have issues. I know that you are supposed to clean it when you get it out of the box due to the shipping grease they put in the gun. Does anyone have any recommendations on what should i look for as far as cleaning and any specific stuff that i should use. I have never purchased a brand new gun the last gun i bought was ready to shoot when i got it. Any feedback is welcomed.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Just do what you normally do for a good cleaning with your cleaner of choice to remove the "Taurus glue". Give it a light lube on rail and slide. Your good to go.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
First off, if I haven't done so already, welcome to the forum!
I bought an 809 a year ago, and this past month picked up my new EDC, a 709.
Neither of mine were what I would call "packed" with the evil grease, but in both cases I just did the following:
* Field strip as normal (mag out, slide off, recoil spring/barrel out)
*Gave all parts a good soaking. I used G-96, although you can use CLP, Breakfree, Hoppes #9, or even WD-40, for that matter.
*Took a brush (I use an old toothbrush) to all the nooks & crannies you can get to.
*Another liberal spray with solvent
*Carefully wipe everything so it's not dripping, then apply a lube (gun oil - in my case I use the G-96, as it's a lube as well).
*Make sure the slide rails are lubed well!
*Also good to take the mags apart and clean the spring, follower, and internal case in the same manner.

Load up the mag with a full load (7 rounds), and let it sit loaded for at least 48 hours.
Rack the slide as many times as you can stand it. This can be a pain, as the compacts are notorious for being very stiff, but it will help loosen them up.

Buy a couple hundred rounds of regular target hardball ammo, and go throw some downrange!

Once you get a feel for how it's shooting (adjust the sights if you need to, it's easy), buy a couple different boxes of SD ammo, like Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot, whatever, and run some through it. Try to find the ammo that you like, and will carry, and make 100% sure it works well through your pistol.

Congratulations, and welcome to the 709 club! I just added a Hogue Handall Jr grip, and it's a nice, comfortable everyday carry piece for me!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome to the New 709 Club!

Can't think of anything to add to Tex's advice ref cleaning and prep, great recommendations one and all!

Only thing I would say is start thinking and looking at Night Sight options. Making those pop and stand out in the dark is a huge plus.

I added a Crimson Trace to help my wife with faster on target times..

Enjoy:cool:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Congratulations on the pt709

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
+1 on crimson trace. Best thing I put on it and now all my guns that are for CCW have them. There is litterally nothing fast to get gun on target from holster.

·
Registered
15,372 Posts
I would highly suggest getting the pierce grip extensions so your pinky's aren't wrapping around the bottom of the mag. it will change your entire grip and make it much more comfortable to shoot. I think the last one I picked up at my LGS was $7.95

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave:

Sent using TapaTalk HD

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
+1 on crimson trace. Best thing I put on it and now all my guns that are for CCW have them. There is litterally nothing fast to get gun on target from holster.
My EDC is now a Sig P238 with the trigger guard laser.

I'm practicing my draw and silhouette target accuracy with it and am really pleased with my progress thus far.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts