Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a brand new 738 blued TCP for concealed carry since the local store had one in stock. I was surprised it came with only 1 magazine and no pouch because most reviews seem to have both but after I got on this forum I found out this is because I bought the lower price version. From reading there are A, B, and C versions. What's the main difference between them?

I have some friends that take their new out of the box handguns straight to the range but I want to avoid any future problems so I assume I need to clean/lube it before taking it to the range? It appears to be heavily oiled from the factory.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
The TCP comes in a couple packages. The cheaper package will have only 1 mag and no bull dog case. (this is common in several gun makes)
The A, B, C refers to the series of the gun. The A's were made first, some modifications may have been needed so with the changes came the "B" series, and then the C.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, the #1 handgun forum!

As a new member of this fine forum, you now have an enormous amount of Taurus information and personal experiences, literally, at the end of your fingertips.

Congrats on the new TCP PT738. ;)

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma. Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome. I cleaned the 738 today and it was pretty dirty for a brand new handgun. I had a hard time re-assemblying it due to the stubborn pin. I noticed that small spring but still had to look up tips on getting that sucker in. It's now clean, lubed, and ready for the first time at the range. Can't wait to see how it shoots compared to other .380s I've shot in the past.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am considering a 738 since Academy has them for $199 right now. Does the slide lock back on empty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to the range today and went through 88 rounds with unhappy results. First magazine of 6 rounds went fine, the next magazine of 6 had 1 ftf; as I continued it got worst and the last 3 magazines had ftf almost every other round. I got pretty tired of having to rack the slide and never got a chance to unload 1 full clip. I used 88GR Remington JHP and cleaned/oiled the new 738 TCP with remington oil wipes before taking it to the range. Am I doing something wrong that is causing all of these ftfs or do I just need to wait for the 738 to break in?

The slide is pretty stiff and hurt my hands after working it so often, wonder if this will get easier after breaking it in? Also the magazine release will cause the magazine to spring out but I can't put the new magazine in without pressing the magazine release first, is this normal?

Cleaned and oiled the gun again with remington oil wipes after I came home, let me know if I am suppose to use a specific type of oil or if the ammunition I am using is the wrong one for breaking it in with.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Arizona, I'm new to the group and I just bought a TCP last Fridy. I went to the range yesterday and ran Remington, Federal FMJ's and Critical Defence JHP's without any problems. I did give it a through cleaning and lube before I went. Hope you get yours dialed in.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hello from Arizona, I'm new to the group and I just bought a TCP last Fridy. I went to the range yesterday and ran Remington, Federal FMJ's and Critical Defence JHP's without any problems. I did give it a through cleaning and lube before I went. Hope you get yours dialed in.
Welcome to the forum. I'm happy for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brought my TCP home yesterday and spent part of the day getting to know the disassembly and reassembly. Clean all the oil off all the surfaces and lightly greased the slide area with Tetra synthetic grease.

Ordered another assembly latch pin because I'm going to file a light flat spot on the very end of the pin where it inserts into the slide and hole in the barrel. This should save lots of time in reassembly.

Bought a 50ct. box of PMC bronze and will try the TCP tommorrow at my range here at Poverty Paradise. If all goes well I'm going to reload for .380 after buying the dies. Loading for my Kel-Tec p11 has worked well. We'll see how the TCP works with handloads as well.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Brought my TCP home yesterday and spent part of the day getting to know the disassembly and reassembly. Clean all the oil off all the surfaces and lightly greased the slide area with Tetra synthetic grease.

Ordered another assembly latch pin because I'm going to file a light flat spot on the very end of the pin where it inserts into the slide and hole in the barrel. This should save lots of time in reassembly.

Bought a 50ct. box of PMC bronze and will try the TCP tommorrow at my range here at Poverty Paradise. If all goes well I'm going to reload for .380 after buying the dies. Loading for my Kel-Tec p11 has worked well. We'll see how the TCP works with handloads as well.
Let us know how it goes for you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts