Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Shot about 100 rounds thru my new Taurus 1911 SS today. Very happy with the way it shot and grouped at 10,15,20,and 30 yards. I need to get a grip..No pun intended ;D as the grips on the gun are not to my liking. I am used to shooting my PT-mil pro 145. No failure to feeds or any other problem other than.. :eek: :eek:..my safety fell apart. I was able to get it back together, but it would not stay. What holds it together? And, can I use some sort of thread glue such as Lock tite to hold the parts together? If I go to a regular safety such as Wilson Combat, what holds it in place? Incidently, I tried pressing the two halves together and they went together but alas, would not behave and kept coming apart. Any help would be appreciated. I fully intend to contact Taurus regarding the problem and see if they will send me a new safety, but I think I will not use it..It seems Wilson combat seems the way to. Again, Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
The plastic grips keep it in place. The right side of the gun grip has a cut out under the grip to keep it in place if you did not place the safety under the grip it will contiue to come apart. I would just replace with wilson combat safety. unless you want a gun with a two sided safety.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your responses. I did know the right hand grip holds the safety on the gun, but wanted to know what holds the two pieces together. If only a compression fitting, I may have a fix. The most important question is what holds the left side safety on the gun when it is the only one on the gun such as the wilson combat? And can I eliminate the right side safety and leave the original left side factory on the gun? I am a tinkerer and not afraid to tear things apart but since this is a NEW gun, I am trying to get as much info as possible before tearing into it. I do not want to void any warranty.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
I recomend going to the smithing section as they really know what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
yogiboobooranger said:
Thanks guys for your responses. I did know the right hand grip holds the safety on the gun, but wanted to know what holds the two pieces together. If only a compression fitting, I may have a fix. The most important question is what holds the left side safety on the gun when it is the only one on the gun such as the wilson combat?
Yes... the Taurus... based on the old Swenson ambi-safety is a compression fit with the right side held by the frame. Be aware that other girps (rather than Taurus) even if they have an ambi-safety cut... ARE NOT cut for the Taurus and in itself can create the problem you are describing. Take care when fitting ANY new grips.

The left side safety is held in place by the post that extends through the frame and is flush on the right side. You CANNOT just remove the right side safety... it changes the leverage of the safety and makes the gun unsafe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts