Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in the lovely outdoors, temperature on the low 50s and calm winds. Hardly even a light breeze, actually. My son and I drove about 30 miles to our favorite outdoor BLM area, opened the tailgate of his pickup truck, and happily discharged bullets of various calibers for the next hour.

Games Vehicle Strategy video game Shooter game

That's a Remington 870 Special Field in 20 gauge on the right; my scratch-built AR-15 with a 1.5x6-40 scope next to it; my Remington Nylon 66 .22 Long Rifle next to that. From there left the firearms are my son's, and since I don't have the specifics for them (nor his permission to share said details) I shall cease.

I will tell ya, that lightweight little 31 year old Nylon 66 is a WHOLE lot of fun to shoot. The tubular magazine holds 14 rounds, and it so easy to go through the entire mag before I realize it. Accurate, too, with just the open sights it came with. The nice part is, .22 LR is a lot cheaper than .223. That while plastic tube shaped container is a storage device for paint balls that I bought at Walmart a couple of years ago. They come in packages of three (cheap) and securely hold about a thousands rounds each. They're a great way to store .22 rounds.

I bought the Special Field 20 gauge last year when the most respected member of our informal LGS club pointed it out to me on the used shotgun rack, and I have never regretted selling my Mossy 500 12 gauge (punishing on my shoulder after three or four rounds) to buy it. I can shoot the 20 all day and have fun doing it, and that's what counts.

Between the two of us, we created quite a collection of empty brass, and a lot of water-filled plastic jugs met their timely demise. Really. Some of those milk jugs weren't properly rinsed (guilty) and created quite the odor when I filled them in the kitchen sink.
Soil Wilderness Geology Shrubland Landscape

A morning of a whole lotta fun in the sun in New Mexico. For those of you in colder climes, waiting for the sun to do its job and melt that infernal snow, my sympathies. Been there and done that.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
As long as the snow' isn't higher than the targets, I shoot in the winter. I actually kinda' prefer it, the winter clothes give extra shoulder padding and the barrels don't get so hot.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I am pretty certain over the years I put more rounds through my Nylon 66 than any other. Lots of fun. Looks like a nice area to shoot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts