Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LiveLeak.com - Kentucky cop shoots off finger after gun store clerk hands him loaded weapon

Anyone want to play spot the number of safety violations demonstrated here by officer stubby and the counter help? I don't know how many times you can tell someone not to place anything in front of the business end of a firearm that you don't want shot but the video is worth a thousand words. I'm not sure but the fellow at the end of the counter might need a new change of underwear.

x101ABNDevil
R.I.P. PT42

·
Registered
24,545 Posts
Dumb Dumb Dumb.

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Lucky it just cost a finger.

·
8,414 Posts
Lots of pointing the business end of the gun in all the wrong places. Dang lucky he didn't end up shooting other customers. The end of the article sounds like the negligent discharger is going to pursue a big lawsuit against the store. I do agree that the store should not have had a loaded weapon in the case ( someone dropped the ball ) , but why he didn;t check while racking the slide is beyond me.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Looks like he racked a round into it from a loaded magazine. Safety first! One thing I must say the overpriced gun store in my neck of the woods always safety checks a firearm when they take it out of the case, and they will always hand it to you with the action/cylinder open and the magazine out.

Thanks for sharing this important reminder.

·
Registered
12,089 Posts

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
The gun stores in my area have locks on their triggers that do not come off...EVER. They do a safety check (take out magazine and open the action) before they give it to you and again when you give it back (verify chamber is clear), and place a chamber clear indicator (red/orange zip tie, etc) before returning it to the case.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does. Neither checked the weapon for loaded, oh well. Personally I think the lawsuit should be thrown out since the officer should have been the smarter of the two and checked it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The gun stores in my area have locks on their triggers that do not come off...EVER. They do a safety check (take out magazine and open the action) before they give it to you and again when you give it back (verify chamber is clear), and place a chamber clear indicator (red/orange zip tie, etc) before returning it to the case.
What if you'd like to feel how the trigger is?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I do like the gunstore to have no trigger locks (how else am I going to test the pull!?) but every shop I've been in to checks and locks the slide back before handing one over.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Shakes head.

·
Registered
36,105 Posts
OK, Its my fault this happened!
I always check any firearm that is handed to me or that I pick up, and that Is after the gun clerk has checked it in front of me, so I guess the Clerk and officer decided that I did it for them.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does, said it all

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have seen guys at my LGS do this. And they absolutely HATE getting called out on it. Safety first, but don't tell ME my job. I'm the gun store professional! Next thing you'll be telling me I need to use my turn signal when I'm changing lanes! You young whippersnappers just think you know everything, dont you? Let me tell you, sonny, back in the war, we didn't have to...

(POP)

Quick, someone call an ambulance, a customer just shot himself with an unloaded gun!

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
OK, Its my fault this happened!
I always check any firearm that is handed to me or that I pick up, and that Is after the gun clerk has checked it in front of me, so I guess the Clerk and officer decided that I did it for them.
Well, maybe it is. Why didn't you lock the slide open when you checked? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I have seen guys at my LGS do this. And they absolutely HATE getting called out on it. Safety first, but don't tell ME my job. I'm the gun store professional! Next thing you'll be telling me I need to use my turn signal when I'm changing lanes! You young whippersnappers just think you know everything, dont you? Let me tell you, sonny, back in the war, we didn't have to
(POP)

Quick, someone call an ambulance, a customer just shot himself with an unloaded gun!

A "turn" what?

·
Registered
36,105 Posts
Well, maybe it is. Why didn't you lock the slide open when you checked? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???
I couldn't the ammunition In the magazine kept tripping the slide lock!-------:bang:

Reactions: MadKaw
1 - 17 of 17 Posts