Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I seem to be leaning towards fun guns lately. A Judge ultralite ( full review coming ), Big bore 45's, lightweight 22LR AR's etc..SO to continue my silliness, I started looking for a Redhawk in 44 to add to my collection. My goodness have you seen the prices on Redhawk's...ouch. So I kept looking and putting out feelers looking to spend around $700 total for a nice used model.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Ammunition

I tried a few times on Gunbroker, but richer people than I kept outbidding me. However late last week, this beauty popped up, and the bidding with 24 hours left was only $615, lucky for me the bidding ended pretty late at night. I made a bid of $636 and went to bed knowing I wouldn't win at that price.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Ammunition Gun barrel

Well surprise..surprise..surprise. I won the dang thing. Not sure why..the lowest competing bids on similar redhawks all ended up going for between $850 - $1300. Every once in a while I do luck into great deals on Gunbroker.
Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Here it is compared to my Raging Bull in 44 and that Ultra-lite Judge. So what is the hunter model? The Ruger Redhawk hunter has the rail cuts and reliefs for mounting scope rings directly to the barrel rib. Beyond that it is the same revolver as the other Ruger Redhawks. Something a bit ironic I found out..The Redhawk uses a full frame and full stirrup. The SUPER redhawk uses the GP100 small frame stirrup. Hmmm..it seems like all the after market grip makers decided to make grips for the smaller grip frame. SO stuck with over sized and priced wood grips, Hogue with no backstrap coverage, or Pachmayr grips..The presentation grip works fine..thank goodness.
Sleeve Automotive lighting Art Automotive design Electronic device

The Redhawk weighs 57.8 oz's - 1.5 ounces more than my Raging Bull. It has a 7.5" barrel and the trigger is very good..No trigger work needed. The Redhawk uses a unique action spring system, with two springs running horizontally. Not sure what the Ruger elves did, but this puppy has a smooth as glass 5lb DA pull and an amazing 2lb SA pull. No excuses for my bad shots at first, other than getting to know how to hold it. But once I got my feet under me and the correct grip, she began to find the bull. I probably need to put fiber optics on it to tighten the groupings up..but not bad for 25 yards with reloads from a mild 850FPS 200grain pill, up to a rocking 1450FPS 300grain Hornady Bear load.

Another surprise I ran 8 cylinders of 44 tonight and no wrist buzz. I am liking this little monster.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Very nice find. Yeah, I wanted one but I saw a new 7.5” Redhawk 44 was MSRPing for $1340. Definitely was not having that. I threw a low ball bid on an ‘82 and ended up winning it for like $750 before taxes/fees and shipping.

Ended up being a beauty when I cleaned it up. It’s the little one of my 44’s but the best quality. Finish is a little smoother than my 10.5” 44 Super Blackhawk Buntline. My other one is an 8-3/8” Taurus Model 44.
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Gorgeous Revolver! First hand cannon I ever shot......and I was hooked!

Love it like it deserves to be loved!

Congratulations!

Reactions: silverstring

·
Administrator
19,039 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Ruger Redhawk Hunter .44 Magnum and may it serve you well! 🆒 :)
Also, Congratulations on winning the Auction for it! :)

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Congratulation's on your little pee shooter!

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 44 Magnum was my most favorite cartridge and I own 5, 4 handguns and one carbine. One good fact about the 44's recoil; I bought 2 revolvers that had been fired once and the owners couldn't handle the recoil so they sold the guns. I got a couple of really good deals!

·
Registered
37,842 Posts
The 44 Magnum was my most favorite cartridge and I own 5, 4 handguns and one carbine. One good fact about the 44's recoil; I bought 2 revolvers that had been fired once and the owners couldn't handle the recoil so they sold the guns. I got a couple of really good deals!

My favorite revolver cartridge is the 41 Mag, the auto pistol is the 38 Super----yea I pulled a lot of plaster ceilings not wearing a helmet!
but anyway, I had a Ruger in 41 but it was the Blackhawk, also had a S & W 57 and this big old ugly thang, the best shooter of the three.
Ruger made a Redhawk in 41 Mag, as well as 357 , we couldn't give them away at the time, now they are premium price selling well above the 44 mag Redhawk prices.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
22,420 Posts
I have a Virginia Dragoon in .44 mag as well as a Whinchester 1884- 1984 44 mag!
I think they make a lovely pair!
Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

·
Super Moderator
36,149 Posts
It's the most powerful handgun ever made and could blow your head clean off......

I don't have one.....just sayin'..... 😜

1 - 15 of 15 Posts