Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just "Adopted" and Early Manufacture 454 Ragin Bull - Any issues I should look for?

Hey guys. Just "adopted" a 454 Raging Bull with the 8" barrel in SST. I called into Taurus and found out it was made in 1998 (year of intro). Gun seems to be in good shape. Anything I should be looking out for with this "teenage" Taurus?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
As long as the cylinder locks, and all the chambers align you are in good shape. I have one with the 6" barrel in blue that is an early made gun. It has a 2 X Leupold and has killed a lot of game and critters over the years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It locks. However, there is a hint of rotation in the cylinder when it is cocked. Does your's have that?

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Yes, a major issue. Recoil.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least with the Taurus, you can load mild 45 Colts in there for someone to cut their teeth on.

What part of strong grip didn't she understand...............Also, you have to be a pretty bad masochist to pistol whip yourself... There! I said it! I feel so much better :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
However, truth be told. I hope she took that Desert Eagle in about 2 am and whooped the snot out of the person who let her shoot it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
After shooting 45 Colts in a 454 "Always" clean the chambers before running 454's through it. When you fire a round with a shorter case crud collects in the chamber at the case mouth. The longer case expands on firing. Depending on the amount of crud in the chamber, you can have stuck cases, or be hard to extract. Also makes the crud harder to remove later. This is true with any gun where you can fire a short case round i.e. 38/357, 44 special/44 mag, With the high chamber presure of the 454 it can become an issue with less rounds fired than say with the 38/357.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I am planning on a thourough cleaning of the Raging Bull before I head out to the range. I had heard there was a special brush to use in the cylinder. Has anyone heard of that?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Ahem...:nopics:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts