Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to actually inspect a Judge model Taurus, but I have a question. I know it shoots 410 and .45acp. Does it have seperate cylinders or can you literally go 410/.45scp/410 in one loading?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just put one on hold till Tuesday and yes you use the cylinder for both loads. I can't wait to pick it up and shoot some rounds through it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It shoots 410 and 45 long colt, not 45acp (although if someone made a moon clip I bet it could). It uses one cylinder for both because 410 and 45 are the same diameter. You can shoot 45 long colt out of any quality 410 shoot gun too. Check out a neat little shotgun called a "Snake Charmer".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't seen a speed loader yet for the judge. Plus, my 410 lodas from Remington get stuck in the cylinder after firing, so it takes a bit to remove them.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I wouldn't mess with slugs. They're wimpy in .410, 85 grains or so and out of a full length 28 inch barrel they only make about 500 ft lbs. Out of a 2-6" revolver, they'd likely be lucky to approach .38 special energy levels and with a lot less bullet weight. The .45 Colt is MUCH more cartridge. The utility in the .410 is those 000 3" loads. Up close, they could be pretty effective. STILL, I'd rather have the old .45 Colt snubby, standard length chamber, concealable. I really have no use for the .410 option. I can see that it would have some utility at night for home defense, though, with the 000 loads. It would increase your probablility of a hit, but don't expect it to mimic a Mossberg persuader in 12 gauge or something.

·
Registered
124 Posts
familywgn said:
I haven't seen a speed loader yet for the judge. Plus, my 410 lodas from Remington get stuck in the cylinder after firing, so it takes a bit to remove them.
I've been looking for speedloaders to and have not found any either.

Remington shells SUCK in the Judge. The ribbing tends to buldge around the shot and makes it difficult (If not impossible sometimes) for loading and extracting. I highly suggest Winchester shells (They're red shells in a silver box and say something along the lines of having a extra strength hull). They're smooth around the outside as opposed to your typically shotgun shell that is lightly ribbed. I've never had any problems loading or extracting Winchesters. The only down side is that they don't have a wide selection of shot sizes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
BigBadBull said:

Remington shells SUCK in the Judge. The ribbing tends to buldge around the shot and makes it difficult (If not impossible sometimes) for loading and extracting. I highly suggest Winchester shells (They're red shells in a silver box and say something along the lines of having a extra strength hull). They're smooth around the outside as opposed to your typically shotgun shell that is lightly ribbed. I've never had any problems loading or extracting Winchesters. The only down side is that they don't have a wide selection of shot sizes.
Thanks. I found that out with my last shooting trip. Good thing though, the Winchesters come in '00'.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am looking for a Judge as well...was put onto this sight by a buddy...any help and/or recommendation would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Bezoar said:
how well does the judge handle saboted slugs from a 410? And can you get a speedloader to work with .410?
I've never tried a slug in my Public Defender.

I figure the lead in the .45 Colt should knock down anything it hits.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can shoot 45 long colt out of any quality 410 shoot gun too.
Not true. The bore of a 410 shotguns measures about .410" and a .45 colt slug is about .454". Shooting such an oversize slug in a smaller bore will build up dangerous pressures and likely cause a Kabooom!

You can only safely shoot the 45/410 combo in a gun with a 45 caliber bore, and basically what is a 45 colt chamber lengthened to accomodate the longer 410 shell. So really the gun has to be specifically labeled .45/410.

·
Registered
317 Posts
nonseven said:
Not true. The bore of a 410 shotguns measures about .410" and a .45 colt slug is about .454". Shooting such an oversize slug in a smaller bore will build up dangerous pressures and likely cause a Kabooom!

You can only safely shoot the 45/410 combo in a gun with a 45 caliber bore, and basically what is a 45 colt chamber lengthened to accomodate the longer 410 shell. So really the gun has to be specifically labeled .45/410.
When I first got my judge (used) I thought that lip on the inside of the cylinder was just build up from only shooting 45s. Later did i find out that it was made bigger to accomadate the colt case.

BigBadBull said:
This was in another thread:
Crazy money though!
http://www.5starfirearms.com/speed_loaders.html

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Don't know where this nonsense about .45 ACP in a ,45LC revolver starter but it is not smart, unless you have the .45ACP converter cylinder. .45LC SAMMI max pressure is 14,000 psi, .45ACP SAMMI max pressure is 21,000 psi.

.410 slugs are 1/5 oz or about 85 grains. Compare that to a standard .45LC bullet of 255 grains and you see there is no real comparison.

·
Registered
86 Posts
familywgn said:
HKS-CA44 is the correct speed loader. I have 4 of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts