Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a pt145 and got it for conceal carry purposes (while I love my 3" magnum, i didnt buy it to stick in my pants) and am wondering from experienced guns think of the judge (with PDX 1 in the first three chambers and JHP Horandy's in the last two) compared to 10 rounds of ACP? I like the feel of both for different reasons, less recoil on the judge, but the pt145 is a bit quicker. I also believe the Judge to be more devasting in short range compared to the acp, is this wrong? Any thoughts are welcome, and thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Both, I have one gun for each of you! :D

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
The performance of .45 acp and .45 Colt are fairly similar. Having shot both the Judge with .45 Colt, PDX and 00 buck and owning a PT145 for over 7 years now, I still opt for one good heavy slug at distances found in a home. Nothing says penetration like 230 grains for ACP or 250 for the Colt.

And that is 11 rounds total in the PT145. I agree it is quicker in shooting.

You hope you never are in a firefight in your home, (or anywhere else for that matter) but eleven rounds should trump 5, everything else being fairly equal.

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
Either will get the job done if you do your part.

I prefer my PT145, but we're talking about your hide.

Choose the one you shoot the best and practice, practice, practice till your skills are where you want them.
;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
The performance of .45 acp and .45 Colt are fairly similar. Having shot both the Judge with .45 Colt, PDX and 00 buck and owning a PT145 for over 7 years now, I still opt for one good heavy slug at distances found in a home. Nothing says penetration like 230 grains for ACP or 250 for the Colt.

And that is 11 rounds total in the PT145. I agree it is quicker in shooting.

You hope you never are in a firefight in your home, (or anywhere else for that matter) but eleven rounds should trump 5, everything else being fairly equal.
True 11 is better thasn 5, but a wheel gun is more reliable. I know I will shoot 5. just my opinion

·
Registered
199 Posts
With 000 buck in the first 3 chambers (which I personally prefer over the PDx1 stuff), you get 17 projectiles instead of 11. Of course it's a matter of opinion to choose between those two very capable HD weapons, but I would go with the Judge.

edit: That would be Federal 3" magnum 000 copper plated buck. Awesome stuff.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The thing about revolvers is they put the bullets (and their weight) forward of your firing hand, while semi autos put the bullets in your hand. 'Minute of swing' is probably a bit faster with a PT145, which is pretty important in confined spaces. I'd give the edge to the PT145, but either one will get the job done. The extra capacity doesn't hurt, and reloads are faster. But then there's the issue of reliability. Revolvers rarely jam, and you know what Murphy says. Use the one you feel most comfortable with - there's arguments in favor of both.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As Mattias44 stated,the multi-projectile 410 shells,aimed properly,are a definite BG stopper.I keep my Judge loaded with Remington HD rounds,each has 4 000 buckshot.A couple of these aimed right ,someone's heads coming off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i appreciate the comments, at the moment i am leaning toward my judge mainly because of the reliability factor, my judge has never jammed, my pt145 has once(granted that was when it was new and found out the clip springs are a bit stiff new). But like you said, murphy's law. I lean toward the pdx because of the spread factor, but i agree the federal SD is bad ass, got some youtube videos to proof it, for anyone interested search boson74 on youtube to check them out.

Thanks again for the advice to all..

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
i appreciate the comments, at the moment i am leaning toward my judge mainly because of the reliability factor, my judge has never jammed, my pt145 has once(granted that was when it was new and found out the clip springs are a bit stiff new). But like you said, murphy's law. I lean toward the pdx because of the spread factor, but i agree the federal SD is bad ass, got some youtube videos to proof it, for anyone interested search boson74 on youtube to check them out.

Thanks again for the advice to all..
I don't believe you did a video on changing a diaper. I thought it was going to be a gun blowing up or something, but nope - it was bonafide diaper all right. LOL :D

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I keep both by the bed since my PT145 is my daily carry. With that being said, I would reach for my Judge at night due to having multiple projectiles in case its dark or waking from a deep slumber, I may not be on my best shot and would like the spread of projectiles to help with a "not the best shot". First 2 cylinders have PDX, followed by 3 45s

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is actually my brother (the guy who got me into guns actually). Forgot that was there. Were you not able to see any of the gun vids?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That is actually my brother (the guy who got me into guns actually). Forgot that was there. Were you not able to see any of the gun vids?
I started to, but my attention deficit disorder kicked in. :D I'm going back over there right now and check 'em out. You spent the time to make 'em - I'll spend the time to watch.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I watched 'em and I have to say those targets look pretty dead. The thing about the judge is it's got a rifled barrel. That imparts a spin and centrifugal force makes pellets spread really fast. Which I think is why the PDX1's have the three big aspirin tablets in with the shot. Gives you a little more range. But for the judges intended purpose - up close and personal - that small shot would be devastating.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
And Olivia is priceless! The stuffed animal bin vid was just too cute. I got a kick out of the helicopter video, and how cool and trusting she was with that helicopter flying around her. I did notice mom wasn't quite so trusting, though. :D LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And a word of advice, 2 year old's cant fly helicopters very well, and man are those things fragile:(

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
I recently bought a pt145 and got it for conceal carry purposes (while I love my 3" magnum, i didnt buy it to stick in my pants) and am wondering from experienced guns think of the judge (with PDX 1 in the first three chambers and JHP Horandy's in the last two) compared to 10 rounds of ACP? I like the feel of both for different reasons, less recoil on the judge, but the pt145 is a bit quicker. I also believe the Judge to be more devasting in short range compared to the acp, is this wrong? Any thoughts are welcome, and thanks in advance for the advice.
The recoil on my Public Defender with 410 is a lot more than my PT145. The only time I would use the PDX ammo is when I'm carrying concealed. If you use 410 varmet loads in your home you won't have to worry about over penetration. If the shot doesn't mortally wound any attacker, then you can go help him pick out their new seeing eye dog.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I keep both by the bed since my PT145 is my daily carry. With that being said, I would reach for my Judge at night due to having multiple projectiles in case its dark or waking from a deep slumber, I may not be on my best shot and would like the spread of projectiles to help with a "not the best shot". First 2 cylinders have PDX, followed by 3 45s
That's exactly what I have loaded in mine (and the same reasoning).

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's exactly what I have loaded in mine (and the same reasoning).
That use to be the configuration I used as well, but I went to all 5 - 3" PDX1. My Judge SS magnum 3" barrel and myself click. I hit what I point at with it. But still like the 16 BB's flying around just in case the BG has friends, it'll keep'em busy until I get to them. ;) :D The more led the merrier. No chance of over penetrating.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I always have my TCP in my pocket but on my headboard I have a PD with laser loaded 3 000 buck and 2 .45 colts. Next to that I have a Glock 19 with 16 rounds of +p hollow points. That should take care of anything that comes my way.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts