Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best round for self defense. A heavy lead round or a jacketed HP out of this short barrel.

If lead, what would be the heaviest grain I could use. If HP ditto. I have shot +p loads from this gun. Could it handle +p+.

I am not recoil sensitive and over penetration is not concern as I live in a semi-rural area.

Any replys greatly appreciated. I am somewhat new to all this.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
There isn't a whole lot out there for 45 colt. I'd lean towards a Win. Silvertip JHP or Federal lists a 225gr LHP. Buffalo Bore makes some standard pressure loads but they are expensive.

Corbon makes a couple loads but states that they are loaded beyond SAAMI pressure spec and I don't know what Taurus says about that in this gun. If it was a large frame I'd use it but with the medium frame I probably wouldn't. Pick the DPX over the JHP if you chose to go that route as it will be the lower pressure of the two.

In another thread on the 3" Judge there was mention of a 5 pellet OO buck load. I might think about this one for home defense IF it grouped well at the longest actual distance inside my home. I don't know who's making it. And I would likely only use it for the first round with conventional hollow points after it in the cylinder.

Between the LHP and the Silvertip I would think either would work. The Silvertip might have more penetration (better bullet design) but the basic lead hollow point (wadcutter) has been working for decades, especially in 38 special (158gr LHP +P).

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
No problem, thats what we're here for. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
NO!!!! ABSOLUTELY NO +P in this gun! +P stuff in .45 Colt is for Ruger blackhawks or TC Contenders ONLY! These are VERY strong guns. +P rated .45 Colt isn't exactly like .38, pressures are over double and ballistics are at least equivalent to .44 magnum. Such a load would likely tear up that Taurus if not kaboom it in short order.

Try Winchester Silvertip standard .45 Colt loads. Out of a 4 5/8" Ruger, a standard pressure load in .45 Colt will put up over 400 ft lbs. How much more do you need? Leave the +P .45 Colt stuff to the deer and bear hunters and their Rugers or TCs or Freedom Arms hunting guns. That's what this stuff is for, not for self defense.

This is the very reason I wonder about the sanity of companies like Buffalo Bore offering high pressure loads for Ruger revolvers in .45 Colt. I don't see how they keep from getting sued by people who put this stuff in light revolvers and blow their fingers off with it. They should just leave these high level hunting loads to handloaders who know what they're doing rather than to offer them to the general public. My own +P handload pushes a 300 grain Hornady JHP XTP to 1200 fps and kicks like a .44 magnum in the process. But, you should see what it does to a cantelope. :D It's pushing 1000 ft lbs of energy doing that, a might excessive for self defense I'd say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts