Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been waitin for the local guys here to get in a short barrel judge in stainless and the 3in cylinder , last price on them was 449.00 the new blued 6in they got in are now 529.00 ouch , anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It can either be attributed to the new year price increase that almost always happens, or that Taurus in general is getting a better reputation as their quality control starts delivering. Chance are, it is a bit of both.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The Judge is hot now...been hot for the past 8 months. They are becoming increasingly difficult to come by. Davidsons' has all of their Judges allocated.

·
Registered
846 Posts
When I got my 605 for a good price at the gun show a guy next to me bought a blued one for 325.00.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Dang that is close to the MSRP prices from the not updated Taurus site.

Here is one online sites most recent prices. But I note they did not have the 3" or 4" instock

4410TKR2B Taurus Tracker 410/45C 3" HV BL Last price was $375.00
4410TRACKERS Taurus 4410TRACKERSS 410/45C 6.5" HVCK Stainless $448.67
4410TRACKERB Taurus 4410TRACKERB 410/45C 6.5 HVCK BL $411.44

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up one of the brushed stainless/aluminum (some selling them as titanium, but they're not) Ultra-lite Judges on a whim.

Although it was an interesting firearm that might have an application in the woods (for snakes?) -- I simply did not see what all the excitment was about.

I know, the infamous video of the carjacking scenario is responsible for some of the selling/buying frenzy -- but not for me. I'd rather use a conventional handgun in that situation (just personal preference).

Loaded with #6 or #8 shot, I can see the revolver effective at close range on snakes. But with the rifled barrel spinning the wad, that shot pattern will disperse widely a few feet out. Those toting the 3" barreled version might not want to use it on a critter at their feet...

For self defense purposes at any distance at all, the options are buckshot (3 pellets) or slug. Again, the three pellets in the buckshot load will spread widely and quickly. Given that you are responsible for the terminal resting place of every shot you fire -- I'd be concerned about unwanted collateral recipients with the shotshell. If one opts for the rifled slug -- the performance will be no better out of the short barrel than the .45 Long Colt.

Therefore, if .45 Long Colt is the load chosen as the primary self defense option -- then why not pick one of the smaller and easier to conceal revolvers chambered in that offering??

Just food for thought -- not a slam or flame on anyone's personal attraction to the design. I gotta give Taurus credit in tapping into the "cool & unusual" effect with the buying public to increase sales... :clap:

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
No offence taken for your comments.

I bought the longer version, 6.5" barrel JUDGE! One reason was when I am out and about on the farm, I have houses close to one or more property lines, thus I have field of fire issues if I see a snake, ground hog, or fox close by. I want to be able to shoot without worrying about putting large holes in the neighbors back patio. Actually out to about 7 yard, my shots with #4, #6, and #9 shot would put a world of hurt on what is out there.

At night in the house, I keep it at bedside. Either the wife or I can get that one and first two round are shot, with the last three being JHP. It is gonna definitely slow down whats in front of it at house distances.

But I will say, that my vest is close by too, and it has a snubby 357 in the pocket when I hang it on the bed post, or a PT111 if that was what I had out the previous day.

Oh and several other manufacturers are making them with even longer barrels in some cases. Magnum Research is one. I forget the other ones.

·
Registered
846 Posts
When I bought my M605 at the gun show before the last one a guy next to me bought a blue one for $385.00, I was there again on 2-9-08 and the same people had them for that price again. I've started to buy one just for an investment and maybe a little profit.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I would love to find the newer model that holds the 3" 410 magnum shells, 5 .00 per. This time if I cannot find a 450 before they come in locally, I want the short barrel. Now that would be heck of a Concealed Carry Gun in my book.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
WHY? would anyone want to use a 410 slug, when you could have some very nice 250 grain JHP's in it, right next to your 410 .00's. If the shot don't stop em, then those big 250 standard load JHP's should unless they are wearing armor, then we in trouble big time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I maybe wrong but I think you can't shoot slugs in them.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
texas shooter said:
I maybe wrong but I think you can't shoot slugs in them.
Gee I wish someone had told me that before I bought 5 and fired them. I just wanted to see but they are not accurate at all, compared to a 200 or 225, or 250 grain 45 colt.

You know I heard the next generation is gonna come with chokes of 3 dif types for use with shotgun shells.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Robby said:
You know I heard the next generation is gonna come with chokes of 3 dif types for use with shotgun shells.
Robby, did you recently take up selling bridges, too? ;D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Your Slug is your .45LC... It uses the Rifling... The .410 Slug is to Small a Diameter to touch the sides of the Barrel, and Rattails down the Bore and KeyHoles (tumbles) down range... That why you only use Shot & Ball .410 Scatter Gun Shells in the Judge...

410 slug
http://mcb-homis.com/slug_410/index.htm

I see some fare prices a Gunner could get a lock, or order on...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=Taurus The Judge
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?ref=gb&productid=42140
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?ref=gb&productid=42139
TAURUS~Beginning as a small tool manufacturer in Porto Alegre, Brazil over sixty years ago, Taurus has become a diversified, international company celebrating resounding success as one of the world’s leading small arms manufacturers. In 1941 the company produced its first revolver, and in 1984 they changed the industry forever by offering its customers an unqualified LIFETIME REPAIR POLICY, posting record growth every year since.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
VegasGuy said:
Robby, did you recently take up selling bridges, too? ;D
Naw, I sell roof replacement! I started working for a new roofing company doing estimates and selling people on using them for repairs and replacement. I could make a few bucks, but so far I am out $500 start up equipment that I needed.
If I can make a few more calls next week, weather being bad makes it tough. I will make enough to pay back my equipment, and maybe get me another 45 colt. HMMMM!!
SgtKnuckles said:
Your Slug is your .45LC... It uses the Rifling... The .410 Slug is to Small a Diameter to touch the sides of the Barrel, and Rattails down the Bore and KeyHoles (tumbles) down range... That why you only use Shot & Ball .410 Scatter Gun Shells in the Judge...

410 slug
http://mcb-homis.com/slug_410/index.htm
Yeah, I would never buy another 410 slug, I just did it to try them one time to prove what I already know. They not worth a darn in the judge.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Robby,... The light came on for me when I saw KeyHoles in my target...!!! Thats when I thought to myself hey its ownly a 410 in a 45 Hole... Dah...<:-(( They were so fast at 1/5 Oz.... That's what suckered me in... Bought before I Thought...

·
Registered
846 Posts
I got an add from Cabelas yesterday they have the polished SS for $519.00 comes with carry case and holster.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well I noticed the same thing, from the Plastic wad's in 410's. If your close to the target, using cardboard for a backer, they make a nice hole in the cardboard, and a large mark if your further back. That is why the Taurus video of THE JUDGE in action puts that big hole in the target. That is not a slam, I realized it the same day I bought mine. It does what I want it to do, and that is what counts to me.

Not going hunting with it, except for coyote, fox, and groundhogs. I am not planning to shoot clay's in the back field.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There's a gun test on these on the Taurus site. The guy says the plastic wads are affected by the rifiling and the farther the distance the more they pull to the right. His fix was to use the old .410 with paper wading which would be easy to reload. It all makes since.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts