Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Academy this evening with intentions of returning with the poly judge, but to my surprise they also had the new S&W Governor. It was priced only $130 more than the poly judge, so I asked to see it. Weight was ok, it was overall larger than the judge, and felt good in the hand, however, the 6 shot cylinder was way to big, making this a very unlikely candidate for conceal carry, and IMO, unattractive looking. I tried to see where I would ever use 45acp ammo in it but failed to see the value in it, moon clips are a pain anyway. Needless to say I took home the poly judge and never looked back, can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition of your new poly Judge!

Pics are in order, along with your range report.:)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I like your thinking. What works for you is better.

Shoot pictures and bullets and tell us how it works for you.

Reactions: Oldster

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I had the guy at Academy try and sell me the Governor when I went in looking for a raging Judge Magnum last weekend. I wonder if Smith is giving them a kick back for the sale. The guy never saw a smith go back but Tauri go back all the time. Which is funny since when you buy a firearm from Academy (at least the one I go to) you sign paperwork saying they don't take returns and problems will be handled through you and the manufacturer! So I wonder how he saw that many go back....

I couldn't see the need for the .45 acp either.. I have plenty of .45's the .454 casull is what I want! Has anyone seen the Raging Judge Magnum in Texas yet?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I like your thinking. What works for you is better.

Shoot pictures and bullets and tell us how it works for you.
This can NOT be stated enough, the most important part of picking a CC firearm is picking what feels best in the hand, which one points more naturally, and which one you will PRACTICE with, and carry every day.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I've looked at both the Governor, and the Judge, side by side. I own neither, just haven't gotten around to buying one. The Judge will fire 2 1/2 or 3" .410 shot-shells, and .45 Long Colt rounds. The Governor fires only 2 1/2" shot-shells, .45 ACP with moon clips, and .45 Long Colt. It holds six rounds, as opposed to five in the Judge.

I have to agree that the balance, feel, and ability to conceal all favor the Judge. In an external holster, size matters little, and the choice becomes more of what one's own perceived feelings tell them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am taking it out tomorrow to see how it performs, will report back. Also, I have already spoke to Theis holsters and he ordered a judge poly mold so he can make me a conceal holster for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, didnt make it do the range today, got back too late from meeting with my parents to eat lunch. So I went out back of the house to at least run some rounds through it. First off, the DA pull is horrible, I believe them when they say it is 12lbs. The SA pull is awesome, almost surprisingly light and crisp. For safety reasons, I only ran some #4 federal shot through it since I wasn't at the range. I performed how I would expect a 2" barreled shotgun would. Recoil wasn't near what I thought it would be, I would dare to say more manageable than my blackhawk 4" 44 mag, and it's a much heavier weapon. I don't see where there would be much issue with follow up shots (if actually needed) once you get used to the boom this thing makes, it's sounds like a cannon!!! Much louder than my 6" Judge and my 357. If you decide to purchase one of these, my suggestion is to put some rounds through it so you can get used to the noise and the power. It is so loud it startled my wife in the house when I shot it, and she was expecting it. I plan on punching paper later in the week, so pics will be posted of the results.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
The guy never saw a smith go back but Tauri go back all the time. Which is funny since when you buy a firearm from Academy (at least the one I go to) you sign paperwork saying they don't take returns and problems will be handled through you and the manufacturer! So I wonder how he saw that many go back....
Exactly. I've signed the same paper work at Academy.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I own a PT-1911 so I saw no use in a Govenor.

My PD SS will only shoot 2 1/2" shells but I don't see this as a weakness.

In the real world few threats 2 or 4 legged will continue to be threats after a solid application of PDX1, or #4 Buck, or 00, or 000 + a .410 Deer Slug.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
86 Posts
I own both and the Poly PD would be a much better concealed carry handgun. The Judge looks better than the Governor but I prefer the S&W quality, front night sight and the ability to shoot 45 ACP which is 1/2 the price of 45 long Colt. For field use I would rather carry the Governor or one of my full size Judges.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I own both and the Poly PD would be a much better concealed carry handgun. The Judge looks better than the Governor but I prefer the S&W quality, front night sight and the ability to shoot 45 ACP which is 1/2 the price of 45 long Colt. For field use I would rather carry the Governor or one of my full size Judges.
I already had a Taurus PT-1911 so a S&W Govenor was redundant but a Taurus Public Defender opened new possibilities especially when carried in tandem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just like a lot of new toys.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I just like a lot of new toys.
Not a thing wrong with that!

I'd like to have 1-2 M85 .38 Spec +P, 1-2 PT145,1-2 PT92 9MM,a Rossi .357 Mag lever action rifle,a M66 Tracker with a 6.5" ported barrel, and another Duo-Toned PT-1911.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always thought the Judge was a usless idea, then one day at the gun shop I was looking, and noticing I was running out of new guns that I didn`t already have, I saw the poly all black Public Defender, so I figured I would try one, after 5 shots I was hooked, I now own the poly, the stainless ultra lite public defender, and the 3 other model Judges!!!!! It also got me into collecting the bigger caliber revolvers, so now I have a Raging Bull .44 mag in stainless with the 8 3/8 inch barrel, and just walked out today with a S&W 500.........I really am a candidate for a support group!!!!!!!!!!!! I shot the Governor, it was nice, but the moon clip deal is a hassel, and just doesn`t fit my hand like the Judges, and it is nice to have a bunch of Judges on your side when things go bad!!!!!!!!

·
32,481 Posts
Governors are just politicians who sit there and do nothing. Especially in times of trouble!:D

I don't have a use for a Judge or Governor, but do see the appeal they have to others.

I've got a boatload of 5 shot big bore .44 Specials. 7 of them. Vut am I going ta do with another. Locker space is at a premium. :rolleyes: :D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I own a PT-1911 so I saw no use in a Govenor.

My PD SS will only shoot 2 1/2" shells but I don't see this as a weakness.

In the real world few threats 2 or 4 legged will continue to be threats after a solid application of PDX1, or #4 Buck, or 00, or 000 + a .410 Deer Slug.
No need to apologize for a hand-shotgun that "only" shoots 2 1/2 inch shells!

The PD is a hand cannon that can put any would-be attacker on the ground!

Reactions: tucker368
1 - 19 of 19 Posts