Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, I got my hands on a Taurus Judge (.45/410), and I'm already having issues with it, to start with, to get comfortable with it as a carry weapon, I was practicing my draws from the holster, and noticed that the cylinder would come free from the Cylinder Stop, and free rotate.

The first time I took it shooting, everything worked fine, the second time I took it shooting, I had what some would consider a Catastrophic Failure, I fired the first round, second round it didn't fire, turns out, it had rotated out of battery, and had struck the primer, thank goodness it didn't detonate the primer, but it was a very close call.

I tried disassembling it today, but ran into a problem.

Taurus.JPG

The screw underlined in green was completely stuck, the rest all came out without any problems.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with my Judge?

(Note: For those who are curious why I was disassembling it, I was hoping to replace the plunger, to fix the issue where my Cylinder Stop would allow the cylinder to free rotate after firing.)

Thanks!

·
8,968 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have had a free rolling cylinder on one of my Judges, Factory lube had acted like glue and was hanging up cylinder lock on the bottom of the frame. However the out of time condition you described as out of battery, is not something that you may luck into a fix with. Also since you can;t remove the Cylinder lock screw , I have to wonder if someone else did some maintenance on the action and put the screw back in with locktite. So I gotta ask is the Judge brand new or bought used? If brand new use the chat icon on the bottom of the TaurusUSA.com website and chat with a CS agent to get warranty repair initiated. If used, the same process applies, however you may have to pay a shipping fee for warranty repair, maybe not. If you live close to NW Arkansas you can drop by my place and I will diagnose and possibly repair. The repair issue is obtaining parts, Taurus is very stingy with what parts they will ship to an owner. Wish I had a simple fix for you. Oh and you plan on carrying a 6" Judge for self defense? Wow that's a big revolver to lug around, not impossible, but not easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. I have had a free rolling cylinder on one of my Judges, Factory lube had acted like glue and was hanging up cylinder lock on the bottom of the frame. However the out of time condition you described as out of battery, is not something that you may luck into a fix with. Also since you can;t remove the Cylinder lock screw , I have to wonder if someone else did some maintenance on the action and put the screw back in with locktite. So I gotta ask is the Judge brand new or bought used? If brand new use the chat icon on the bottom of the TaurusUSA.com website and chat with a CS agent to get warranty repair initiated. If used, the same process applies, however you may have to pay a shipping fee for warranty repair, maybe not. If you live close to NW Arkansas you can drop by my place and I will diagnose and possibly repair. The repair issue is obtaining parts, Taurus is very stingy with what parts they will ship to an owner. Wish I had a simple fix for you.
She's brand spanking new, I bet you she hasn't had 50 rounds fired through it.

That's lovely, looks like I'm going to have to either take it back to the Gun Store I bought it from, or have Taurus take care of this problem, if they will, it's been a year. (I don't get to shoot it very often, cause of where I live)

·
8,968 Posts
May I also ask what kind of ammo were you using? Some standard 410 shells will cause issues with the Judge. Specifically you will want to stick with 410 that runs below 1150fps or so, or use the ammo made for the Judge , by Federal and Winchester. But mine all run good using generic 410 #6 shot running at 1135fps. Over pressure can be an issue causing cylinder hangs, excessive fouling, and even out of time conditions. I have read of a few folks that ran high brass hi-velocity rounds in a Judge and broke the revolver. 45LC however is safe at most any speed, except for a few Buffalo Bore versions. Sorry about the dilemma. That chat process I mentioned really is pretty simple, I have used three times in the last 12 months and my average time invested was about 15 minutes. good luck.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I recommend sending it in for service under warranty, you've obviously got a bad egg which you won't likely be able to repair on your own. Be prepared to wait awhile, as Taurus' Customer Service tends to be slow, sometimes excruciatingly so, but it's the best option you have.

That being said, I'm curious as to why you selected a full-size Judge with a 6" Barrel for carry over the more appropriate Public Defender model? Seriously, even the standard 3" Barrel Judge isn't a great choice for carry, much less a 6" Barrel model.
You may want to look into exchanging it for a Public Defender if EDC is your intended use for it.

Reactions: silverstring
1 - 7 of 7 Posts