Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Judge Public Defender (Poly) and am waiting for it to arrive. I have a questions about the 45 cal ammo. Am I right in understanding that the Judge takes .45 Long Colt ammo and cannot use .45ACP? If so, why not? Just interested.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Well I reckon the short and easiest explanation is that the .45LC has a rimmed case and the .45ACP doesen't....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Technically u could use a moon clip, But I don't think there would be enough space for the Cylinder to fully close or rotate, the 45 colt lead bullet is .454 and the 45 acp is .451 so it would not work very well, and it could hit the side of the barrel going into the chamber which would not be very good for the gun, or possibly you.

I would recommend reloading your own 45 colt with a faster powder to get better velocity, Factory ammo 45 colt through a short barrel will have less velocity then a .45 acp with a short barrel
45 colt in a judge will have less penetration than a .45acp short barrel

With the judge I would just use it with the .410 self defense ammo for close range encounters, It makes a good anti car jacking gun or bed side gun.

and don't use +p 45 colt , it isn't recommended with the judge

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The 45 acp runs a higher chamber pressure than the 45 colt round. Some Judges will take the full moon clips that fit the Trackers in 45 acp and can be loaded and shot with the 45 acp. The cylinder walls of the Judge are thinner than the 45 acp Tracker cylinder walls so you are taking a chance and Taurus does not OK it. Most 45 colt and a lot of the 45 acp ammo uses .452 diameter bullets. As a side note the .454 also uses .452 diameter bullets. I own and reload for all of them in several different guns.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Technically u could use a moon clip, But I don't think there would be enough space for the Cylinder to fully close or rotate, the 45 colt lead bullet is .454 and the 45 acp is .451 so it would not work very well, and it could hit the side of the barrel going into the chamber which would not be very good for the gun, or possibly you.
Really ?, my S+W Governor doesn't have a problem with the 45ACP.

Why would my Judge be any different ? (aside the fact the cylinder isn't milled for a clip)

·
Registered
31 Posts
45 acp

Really ?, my S+W Governor doesn't have a problem with the 45ACP.

Why would my Judge be any different ? (aside the fact the cylinder isn't milled for a clip)
the moon lips will not fit. The clearance between the cylinder and frame isn't large enough on Judge

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
It depends on the Judge, a lot of them will take the Tracker 45 acp moon clips. The headspace between cylinder and frame is the same on many. The 45 acp cylinders are not machined for the moon clips. Taurus is uniform on the Tracker size frames in 45 colt and 45 acp for the most part. Several friends that own the Tracker size frame 5 shot 45 colt chambered revolvers use the. 45 acp Tracker moon clips to shoot 45 acp rounds in them The problem is not in fitting and working but in the difference of chamber pressures. The 45 acp runs higher chamber pressures than the 45 colt round. That is probably why Taurus does not approve of the practice. I ran a lot of the 45 acp rounds through my Judge and some others using the moon clips. After listening to the argument about the higher chamber pressures I took the time to take a closer look at the Judge cylinder. The chamber walls on most are thin, very thin. Cylinders are heat treated on many guns and can handle some impressive pressures. The 454 was designed to run pressures equal to rifle rounds that are shot in bank vault tough actions. Only Taurus knows what their cylinders are rated to and they will not say. So the problem is notmaking it work, problem is the safety issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
the moon lips will not fit. The clearance between the cylinder and frame isn't large enough on Judge
Yes, I know it won't fit, not talking about that.

He said;
"and it could hit the side of the barrel going into the chamber which would not be very good for the gun, or possibly you."

It's this line I question.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Why try it? You knew when you bought the gun that it shot a certain type of ammo. (Just like when you buy a car that has a different tire size. Why try and put different tires on it?) Shoot 45LC's throught it and it will be fine.

Reactions: cheapshooter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why try it? You knew when you bought the gun that it shot a certain type of ammo. (Just like when you buy a car that has a different tire size. Why try and put different tires on it?) Shoot 45LC's throught it and it will be fine.
Well said, very well said! Just like the +P++++ craze. People wanting to make something out of their gun that it isn't, and some​ boutique ammo manufacturers accommodating them with +P loads for rounds that SAMMI doesn't even list a +P load for.
Cast 250 gr Cowboy Action handloads for practice in my Poly, Winchester PDX-1 225 Gr. bonded HP & Federal Handgun 0000 buck for use as an anti carjacking device.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts