Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas, comments, suggestions...closest municipal range, over 40 miles away. I can always shoot at my brother's house, but I can never get over the "willies" shooting several mags. At lest an acre to nearest neighbor, pretty far out, but I just can't get comfortable. Anyway, some of the closer ones require you to be "sponsored" or recommended by another member, etc. Probably trying to keep out the riff-raff? Not sure. I've even approached a couple of guys at work who are members of a (fairly) local range about this, but they seem very leery (maybe I'm riff raff!). Thought about just showing up at the gate, explaining my desires for membership, and seeing what happens. I understand some ranges/clubs only want a certain number of members. Any thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Find an Idpa match in your area most these are open to any one and they shoot at these ranges. Our area has 3 indoor ranges walkins welcome time for lots of internet searching so start with Idpa or cowboy action shooting

jhp

Reactions: Lmstncwby and darbo

·
Super Moderator
27,123 Posts
Depending on the range: To find a sponsor, show up, and ask if you can "guest shoot" with someone...get to know the people and range,,,,do you like it??? Is it safely run??? Is it maintained??? Then ask your host if you can join...if there is space...then you will find a sponsor. There may be a waiting list though.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Our clubs up here in PA have a cap on the number of active members that can be on the roster. When the # drops below the cap, the charter is opened and names of potential probationary members are pulled off the waiting list in the order they got on. We have many shoots and events that are open to all and many of our members originated from attending these same events/shoots. Get to know some of the members and see if the club can live up to YOUR standards. Every club is different and some may not fit your needs. I've belonged to mine for almost 9 years and its got great people and facilities. There have been other brief stints for me at other clubs but this one has it all and I intend to stay. Good luck to you and I hope you find a good one.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
also check for skeet/trap clubs as some of them have pistol/rifle ranges for their members and check around for clubs called rod and gun clubs sometimes they are forgotten when people are looking for places to shoot/join check with the nra for clubs in your area good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could also try searching outdoor clubs. Our local outdoor club held an open house to attract new members. That is how my wife and I joined. They had a booth at an outdoors expo where we got fliers and went to the monthly meeting, paid our fee and got voted in as new members with all the rights, privileges and responsibilities as established members. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
With the recent spike in sales and the number of first time gun owners, my local range has been experiencing a lot of problems. From people who don't know what they are doing at the range, to people who are inviting "non-members" along and causing all kinds of problems - yeah, someone took an AR to the pistol range and shot everything to bits (thankfully was an outdoor range!).

As the OP stated, you can always go up to the local range in person and talk to someone. Never know. You might just get in. Worst case - what can they say? No? Find another range. :)

Reactions: brazostaurus

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
In my area there are several private gun clubs with waiting list so long not many will ever make it, plus they are a bit on the expensive side (depending on your frequency of use), not to mention a bit of snobbery. You might check with some of the shooting ranges to see if any links to gun clubs.

As for your brothers land, bring in some dirt and railroad ties to build a berm / backstop and build another elevated berm to shoot from so trajectory is downward.

I'm lucky with gun ranges all around, but my preferred is a 75 mi. round trip. It isn't restrictive, allows holstering/drawing/defensive training (with or without instructor), rapid fire, seldom crowded on week days, a large and small pistol ranges and 100 yr. rifle. They also have private areas for a couple of LEO organizations and couple of gun clubs. In addition to being relatively inexpensive (except for the gas there and back) for a yearly membership with no visit (includes free 2-silouhette targets per visit) or gun quantity limitations. The real plus vs. a private gun club, other than policing my own trash, I don't have to spend time cleaning up after others, cutting grass, carpentry, etc. LOL

Wish you good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
There is a good state run range in RI. Good thing too cause I have been trying to become a member of a few gun clubs for 2 years. I'm number 1 on a waiting list at one club. But memberships renew in April. So unless a member quits or dies this year, looks like I'm waiting till next April before I get in.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Check with your department of conservation. We have a couple of outdoor ranges that are managed by them. You don't have to be a member and it's cheap (about 3 bucks an hour and that is for the booth). You can have another person with you for that price (two per booth). They have a bunch of safety rules (no rapid fire) but it's very safe and enjoyable. They stop every 15 minutes to let everyone change targets at the same time. It's sectioned off (riffle, pistol, skeet areas).

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Looking for ideas, comments, suggestions...closest municipal range, over 40 miles away. I can always shoot at my brother's house, but I can never get over the "willies" shooting several mags. At lest an acre to nearest neighbor, pretty far out, but I just can't get comfortable. Anyway, some of the closer ones require you to be "sponsored" or recommended by another member, etc. Probably trying to keep out the riff-raff? Not sure. I've even approached a couple of guys at work who are members of a (fairly) local range about this, but they seem very leery (maybe I'm riff raff!). Thought about just showing up at the gate, explaining my desires for membership, and seeing what happens. I understand some ranges/clubs only want a certain number of members. Any thoughts/ideas?
The two clubs in the area that I know of are Bayou Rifles and PSC. Both have waiting lists, so get on one! You can do it on their web sites.

I'm a member of PSC, and I'm extremely happy with the club. It doesn't take many trips to break even on the cost of using a public range with a per gun charge, and there's no drill sergeant of a range officer barking at you. There are rules, but they're not onerous. Meanwhile, you might be able to shoot in matches at their ranges even thought you're not a member. I shot Service Rifle matches at PSC (200 yard reduced targets) before I joined.

Reactions: brazostaurus

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Strike up a conversation with the folks at your LGS. They should be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for replies/suggestions/ideas! As always, I can come to you guys when I need guidance...ha ha! TaurusArmed rocks!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm lucky in having literally a dozen good clubs within a 20 mile radius. Expand that to 50 miles and I have nearly 40 clubs to choose from. In fact now I live only two miles away from a club I used to belong to, I hear the gunshots every day, I just can't afford that particular club anymore. So for me it's just a matter of choosing the best fit for me, the benefits of living in a state that is only 9000 square miles in size.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
There are a lot of private ranges around here. I belong to an indoor range (which is also one of the LGS, by the way). It costs about $250/year and it gives you a discounted range fee ($9/hour or half price). I shoot quite a bit with my pistols and it is a cost-effective way to shoot for me since it is only 3 miles from my house. I plan on joining the local sportsman's association this year. Their range is 20 miles away but it is a good way to connect with other shooters and make some new friends!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm not paying an annual fee and then pay any additional hourly fee on top of that at one of those public indoor ranges. To hell with that! I'll join a club for the same price and get unlimited time on the outdoor range and probably get a decent indoor range with it. It is nice to have a lot of options within a short driving distance.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
This one's about 50 miles from You in China Spring costs $85 a year to join, You don't need a referral but You have to be an NRA member.
It's Rifle and Pistol only and You can shoot from 7 am until sundown, I've been a Member there for about 5 years.

ctrpclub.org

1 - 19 of 19 Posts