Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Taurus Friday. I have many pistols, of many brands. But I never owned a Taurus.
I have been reading about the G3c for quite a while, but never ran into one at the gun shops.

I knew for some time that I would eventually buy a Taurus G3c.
Academy finally had one in stock today for $279.99, I decided to buy it.
It comes with three mags, so I bought another three for $39.99 each.

The clerk said he got the wrong model, and he would see if they had the correct one.
At the same time, I noticed a bag of what looked like Red Dot mounts.
I had him verify it was an optic model, and asked the price. It was $349.99.
The guy behind me said "Don't forget the 10% Military discount.

I took the Optic model, a Holosun 507c, and three mags.
The total out the door was $730.63, and I was much happier than a standard model.

When I got home, I checked the trigger.
The pull was kind of long, and felt a little "spongy", much like a Glock.
Follow on shots have a much shorter pull, like a glock.

The slide had very ugly blotches all along the bottom on both sides. Cleaning it with Slip 2000 didn't work, but an alcohol pad did the trick. The slide rails and barrel were bone dry. Not even shipping gunk. It didn't need cleaning, so I lubed it up. I still wonder what they got smeared on the slide.

Size wise, it's like a Glock 19 that's an inch shorter in length. Or a G26 with a longer grip.

I also found out it uses Sig P226 mags. An 18 round Mec-Gar works fine.
Canik mags also work, but have no last round lock back. But I have a lot of 15, 18, and 20 round P226 mags.
Now I wonder if I should have bought the three extra Taurus mags.

I saw TheHumbleMarksman's YouTube about the G3 safety. IF you stage the trigger, THEN set the safety on, the trigger still stays staged, and will fire with the safety on.
I tried it with mine, sure enough, it fired.

I never dreamed of trying that, and will never do it under normal use. Wierd, yes. Is it a problem, I don't think so.

Many guys on the forum say their mags are Mec-Gar, all six of mine are "Made in Brazil", but look and feel pretty good.

Took slide off and checked front sight mounting. Glock uses a thin wall 3/16" socket.
My G3c looks to have either a hex or torx screw. Some say 2mm (5/64") hex, it could also be a small torx. I'm not in a hurry to change it.

The Holosun was fairly easy to install. I used a barrel laser to set the dot position to make final adjustment at the range easier. I can't se either of the G3c sights in the Holosun scope, so no co-witness. But, I won't feel the need for taller backup sights unless I decode to carry it.

I used a lot of time yesterday getting used to it. The trigger has a bit longer pull than my Glock 19, but otherwise feels similar to it. I'm left handed, so I will only use the safety for holstering and handling. With a longer pull than my Glock and a similar pull weight, I'll be fine not using it.

I'll get to the range Wednesday. I don't have any 124 grain NATO ammo to break it in, but from I read on this forum, that won't be an issue. I'll try to give an update Wednesday.

·
Super Moderator
38,569 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new pistol. I've not thought to try my Canik mags, thanks for the idea. Having had the G2 before I have a good number of mags anyway, but for range use more is better.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Thanks for the review!

Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
24,999 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Welcome to taurusarmed.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "Taurus® Spoken Here!" Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
If your G3 is like my G2 (and I believe it is in this regard), that long pull is necessary in order provide the "Second-Strike" feature that Taurus is known for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that's what I understand it to be.

After it's cocked by racking the slide, the pull isn't as long.
If you ride the trigger return, 2nd and subsequent shot pulls are very short.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Reno NV. I'm a big Taurus fan and enjoy shooting my G2.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Welcome Aboard. The G series of pistols is quite awesome. They're great guns as is... But, for the money, as almost everyone has to say... They're phenomenal guns. Taurus is upping its game constantly, too, I love the direction they're going.

Trigger pull once cocked has a lot of loose take up, but as you said, follow up shots are great with a stupid short reset. I think you're gonna have a good time, and can't wait for a range report with a G3C running an optic. Excellent write up BTW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got busy with some other things today, but hope to hit the range tomorrow.

I usually start a new 9mm with NATO rounds. It helps head off any "new gun" feed issues.
But, I don't have any NATO ammo left.

Based on what I've read here, it's not likely to be an issue.
But, I don't care to baptize it with Tula either. I don't want to clean up after that stuff. 😁
Actually, I don't have any Tula either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got busy with some other things today, but hope to hit the range tomorrow.

I usually start a new 9mm with NATO rounds. It helps head off any "new gun" feed issues.
But, I don't have any NATO ammo left.

Based on what I've read here, it's not likely to be an issue.
But, I don't care to baptize it with Tula either. I don't want to clean up after that stuff. 😁
Actually, I don't have any Tula either.
I'd put some gun oil on the metal parts to help rack it smoother and make sure it feeds well in the chamber. Before that, it does feel like its gritty as some would say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my first Taurus Friday. I have many pistols, of many brands. But I never owned a Taurus.
I have been reading about the G3c for quite a while, but never ran into one at the gun shops.

I knew for some time that I would eventually buy a Taurus G3c.
Academy finally had one in stock today for $279.99, I decided to buy it.
It comes with three mags, so I bought another three for $39.99 each.

The clerk said he got the wrong model, and he would see if they had the correct one.
At the same time, I noticed a bag of what looked like Red Dot mounts.
I had him verify it was an optic model, and asked the price. It was $349.99.
The guy behind me said "Don't forget the 10% Military discount.

I took the Optic model, a Holosun 507c, and three mags.
The total out the door was $730.63, and I was much happier than a standard model.

When I got home, I checked the trigger.
The pull was kind of long, and felt a little "spongy", much like a Glock.
Follow on shots have a much shorter pull, like a glock.

The slide had very ugly blotches all along the bottom on both sides. Cleaning it with Slip 2000 didn't work, but an alcohol pad did the trick. The slide rails and barrel were bone dry. Not even shipping gunk. It didn't need cleaning, so I lubed it up. I still wonder what they got smeared on the slide.

Size wise, it's like a Glock 19 that's an inch shorter in length. Or a G26 with a longer grip.

I also found out it uses Sig P226 mags. An 18 round Mec-Gar works fine.
Canik mags also work, but have no last round lock back. But I have a lot of 15, 18, and 20 round P226 mags.
Now I wonder if I should have bought the three extra Taurus mags.

I saw TheHumbleMarksman's YouTube about the G3 safety. IF you stage the trigger, THEN set the safety on, the trigger still stays staged, and will fire with the safety on.
I tried it with mine, sure enough, it fired.

I never dreamed of trying that, and will never do it under normal use. Wierd, yes. Is it a problem, I don't think so.

Many guys on the forum say their mags are Mec-Gar, all six of mine are "Made in Brazil", but look and feel pretty good.

Took slide off and checked front sight mounting. Glock uses a thin wall 3/16" socket.
My G3c looks to have either a hex or torx screw. Some say 2mm (5/64") hex, it could also be a small torx. I'm not in a hurry to change it.

The Holosun was fairly easy to install. I used a barrel laser to set the dot position to make final adjustment at the range easier. I can't se either of the G3c sights in the Holosun scope, so no co-witness. But, I won't feel the need for taller backup sights unless I decode to carry it.

I used a lot of time yesterday getting used to it. The trigger has a bit longer pull than my Glock 19, but otherwise feels similar to it. I'm left handed, so I will only use the safety for holstering and handling. With a longer pull than my Glock and a similar pull weight, I'll be fine not using it.

I'll get to the range Wednesday. I don't have any 124 grain NATO ammo to break it in, but from I read on this forum, that won't be an issue. I'll try to give an update Wednesday.
Perhaps someone can answer this. I'd like to get an RDS to co-witness with my G3C. Is the easiest solution to this to buy "Suppressor Heightened Sights"? Do any and all sights that work for Glock 19's also work for G3c's?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes they do, with one small caveat.

The Taurus front sight uses a different screw (2mm Hex) than the Glock front sight (3/16" Socket).
If you buy a Taurus sight, it comes with the Taurus screw. A Glock sight comes with a Glock screw.

As long as you are careful removing the Taurus screw, you can reuse it.
If you mess it up or strip it, you will have to get a new one from Taurus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes they do, with one small caveat.

The Taurus front sight uses a different screw (2mm Hex) than the Glock front sight (3/16" Socket).
If you buy a Taurus sight, it comes with the Taurus screw. A Glock sight comes with a Glock screw.

As long as you are careful removing the Taurus screw, you can reuse it.
If you mess it up or strip it, you will have to get a new one from Taurus.
So does that mean you have to the taurus screw when putting on a Glock front sight ? The replacement screw won't work at all ?

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new pistol. I've not thought to try my Canik mags, thanks for the idea. Having had the G2 before I have a good number of mags anyway, but for range use more is better.
FWIW, I tried my Canik Mags in my G3. They will fit and lock in place,,but will not feed. Apparently, it’s Gun specific.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So does that mean you have to the taurus screw when putting on a Glock front sight ? The replacement screw won't work at all ?
Yes, it does mean that. But if you are very careful removing the screw, and don't bugger it up, you can re-use the existing screw. If you get a Taurus sight, I understand it will come with a replacement Taurus screw.
Taurus designed their slide a little different, and there is not sufficient access to install a Glock type screw.

However, if you get a Glock sight set, you will not get a Taurus front sight screw with it.
Be very careful not to strip the existing screw, because you will have to re-use it on the Glock sight.
Your existing Taurus screw will fit the Glock front sight just fine.

The problem is, if you mess up your Taurus screw, the Glock screw won't fit into your Taurus slide.
Some Glock owners that had trouble getting the screw loose "sacrificed" the old sight by breaking it up to get the screw out. I just checked my G3C TORO with a magnet, it is metal. So breaking the sight up won't work.

Make sure you use a 2 mm hex key that fits, you don't want to strip it.
I have no way to tell it the screw was installed with loc-tite or not.
If you suspect it is, hold a soldering iron to the screw to heat it up.
Go slow, and be careful.

I got all of this information right on this forum. Search "G3C front sight". I think some folks may have linked to Taurus sights. If so, you can see if they meet your needs.

Several folks complained about their sights coming loose, so they may not have loc-tite on them.

If you find a set of tall sights on the Taurus web site, or one advertised as a Taurus brand, it will come with a spare screw. For all I know, Taurus may even sell the screws on their site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts